C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cheap press to replace bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:44 PM
LaVidaLoca
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cheap press to replace bushings

I bought the poly graphite bushings for my front some time ago and just got around to replacing them. The first need was a hydraulic shop press to get the old ones out. Being cheap by nature (and necessity) I set about building my own. I used two pieces of 4" channel iron and some 5/8ths inch all thread to form the frame and an old bottle jack that was sitting around taking up space. Then cut a 3"x3" hole in the top piece. I used some scrap aluminum to make adjustable plates to back up the work and turned some dies on my lathe to push the bushings out. The dies are just smaller than the hole in the work piece and have an end that will go into the metal sleeve of the bushing. In the bottom of the die I made a hole for the top of the jack to fit in so it would not slip around. I also removed the pad on the top of the jack to eliminate any other movement and keep the work steady.

Best part was cost. Since I did not have to buy the jack the total cost was under $25

I put some pics here:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/black8.../ph//my_photos

This little press will not handle big jobs, but pushed out all my bushings without a problem. It is even tall enough with the top piece all the way up to handle the upper A arm vertically. It also has the added benefit of being very easy to store. When taken apart the two pieces of channel iron fit together and the all thread goes in the middle to make a very compact package.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:01 PM
korvette4u
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LaVidaLoca
I bought the poly graphite bushings for my front some time ago and just got around to replacing them. The first need was a hydraulic shop press to get the old ones out. Being cheap by nature (and necessity) I set about building my own. I used two pieces of 4" channel iron and some 5/8ths inch all thread to form the frame and an old bottle jack that was sitting around taking up space. Then cut a 3"x3" hole in the top piece. I used some scrap aluminum to make adjustable plates to back up the work and turned some dies on my lathe to push the bushings out. The dies are just smaller than the hole in the work piece and have an end that will go into the metal sleeve of the bushing. In the bottom of the die I made a hole for the top of the jack to fit in so it would not slip around. I also removed the pad on the top of the jack to eliminate any other movement and keep the work steady.

Best part was cost. Since I did not have to buy the jack the total cost was under $25

I put some pics here:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/black8.../ph//my_photos

This little press will not handle big jobs, but pushed out all my bushings without a problem. It is even tall enough with the top piece all the way up to handle the upper A arm vertically. It also has the added benefit of being very easy to store. When taken apart the two pieces of channel iron fit together and the all thread goes in the middle to make a very compact package.

i built my own and used a hydraulic 10 ton frame straighten ram..

but i have plans made, you are welcome to them .. just modify slighlty to use with your jack.. have you a welder?..

very nice work...best of all cheap!

Last edited by korvette4u; 04-14-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:28 PM
tempest
Burning Brakes

very nice!

exactly what i am considering doing as well.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:41 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice work. Although I thought my harbor freight 10 ton press was also a great deal at 190 shipped.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:56 AM
olman
Racer

Excellent idea. I like cheap and thinking outside the box.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:32 AM
SBNova
Burning Brakes

I need to change the wheel bearing on my Nova and was considering a project just like this. I was going to pattern mine after a Harbor Freight job, and buy a new bottle jack for it since I dont own one. Great idea on how to make a compact version though!
Old 04-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We just bought one from Harbor Freight salvage. We had to dig around until we found all the pieces but ultimately we got it cheap.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:01 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice work
I still have to install mine
Old 04-14-2005, 11:03 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

dan, i'll post some pics and tips for you before you start. I took pics, but I just haven't had the time or desire yet to type it out.

Remind me.. there are quite a few obstacles and tricks to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap press to replace bushings

Quick Reply: Cheap press to replace bushings