C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TB / IAC Cleaning - DISASSEMBLY (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 08:23 PM
smack123
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TB / IAC Cleaning - DISASSEMBLY (PICS)

Hey guys, quick question, I am in the middle of this project but have hit a roadblock, was hoping to get her done tonight so hopefully someone can help.

I am trying to disassemble my TB and IAC so that I can clean and service them. I have everything taken apart except the two coolant lines that have the screw-type fasteners on them. I tried loosening the screws and then took the screws out completely, but can't get the coolant lines off.

Am I missing something? I just don't want to damage the lines or break something. It's the one on the passenger side down near the IAC, and at the front, below the TB

Pictures attached.
TIA for the suggestions.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Mad-Mic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is a good time to bypass that cut it and go get new hose and connect both ends thats not on the TB and be done with it.

BTW i just cleaned my TB and IAC alittle while ago. took me about 45 mins total

if you want to save it pull the last bolts out of the TB and pull the TB and angle it so you can fit a flat head screw driver between the rubber and the TB flange and try to wedge it off but you should just bypass it and get new hose clamps anyway.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:47 PM
TerryMathews
Racer

Originally Posted by Mad-Mic
this is a good time to bypass that cut it and go get new hose and connect both ends thats not on the TB and be done with it.
Hmmm, I don't know. TB Bypass in Alberta, Canada? If you do it, you're not supposed to drive below freezing (as I understand it).
Old 04-06-2005, 10:41 PM
smack123
Drifting

Hmmmmm....

Okay, got all 4 bolts out, but zero movement from the TB, and still not able to get the coolant lines off. I would like to bypass as suggested above, but need more info about cold weather imapct????

Also, how do I disconnect the throttle linkage???

Sorry for the silly questions guys. I am still learning the technical side.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:43 PM
88vettelover
Instructor

Originally Posted by TerryMathews
Hmmm, I don't know. TB Bypass in Alberta, Canada? If you do it, you're not supposed to drive below freezing (as I understand it).
They're just wedged on there pretty good. Same thing happened on my 88. I stuck a pick inside the hose and ran it along the outer edge and pulled on it at the same time. Popped right off. If you don't have a pick, just use a screwdriver and run it along the edge of the hose to try to break it free. They'll come off, and I doubt you'll hurt anything.

Good luck!!

Oh, and I opted not to do the bypass either at that time. I might do it this summer as my car only goes out when the weather is warm.

Once again good luck.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:47 PM
88vettelover
Instructor

Originally Posted by smack123
Hmmmmm....

Okay, got all 4 bolts out, but zero movement from the TB, and still not able to get the coolant lines off. I would like to bypass as suggested above, but need more info about cold weather imapct????

Sorry for the silly questions guys. I am still learning the technical side.
The throttle cable, and TV cable come off. On the backside of the TV cable I believe there is some sort of clip holding it on, and the throttle cable just gets slid off. I'm not totally sure about the last one, it's been a year since I've done this.

Once you've gotten the 4 bolts out, you should be able to remove the TB. It's probably stuck on the gasket (hoped you picked up a new one), just give it a little tug.

Make sure you clean the mating surfaces of the TB and plenum before you install the new gasket as well.

Once again, good luck!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:51 PM
ls5454
Advanced

I've done it yesterday. Those clamps are designed so they don't automatically loosen just because you remove the bolt. You must get a flat head screw driver between the hose and the flat piece the bolt was pushing against. Turn to pry that flat piece up and away from hose. It will come loose!

Rotate the clamps on the hose to be sure they're broken loose. And don't expect to get the clamps to come off over the hump in the nipple with the hose. Push them toward the TB and off of the hose before pulling/prying hose away from TB.

One linkage has a retainer clip while the other has a little swaged peg on it. Run your fingers along the cable toward the swaged end, pulling the cable out of its guide slot so you can rotate the peg until the cable slips sideways out of the guide plate. You end up with the cable coming out of the peg pointed toward the front of the car, just before it can slip sideways.

Last edited by ls5454; 04-06-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmmmm....

To loosen the throttle body you can either tap on it with a rubber mallet or the meat of your fist and it will come loose.

As for the throttle linkage, there are little clips that need to be pryed off to release the cables. You use a small flat blade screw driver to pry off the clips. MAKE SURE you keep one hand on the clip at all times as you pry it off. The clips are called "Jesus clips" because if you do not have a hand on them when you pry them loose they will fly off into the engine bay causing you to say "Jesus! Where did that go!"

HTH!
Old 04-06-2005, 11:17 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-06-2005, 11:24 PM
smack123
Drifting

YES, the TB/IAC is off!!!!!! Thanks to everyone for the great tips and suggestions!!!!!

Don't worry MikeC4, I knew I still had that bolt to come off (step#1), it's all good.

I'm picking up new gaskets tomorrow.

1. Now, how do I remove the pindle from the IAC?

2. The plenum is also very carboned, should I remove it and clean it too? How difficult is that?

THANKS!!!!

This is the type of thing that I never would have even known to try or attempt on my own without the help of the forum.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:36 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Those GM clamps SUCK. Replace em.

And DON'T remove the iac pintle. You don't need to to clean it, and you probably won't be able to get it back in. I ended up buying a new one for that reason.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:48 PM
rightofway
Team Owner

is that the airfoil i hear about or is that the stock gm part
Old 04-06-2005, 11:50 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Those GM clamps SUCK. Replace em.

And DON'T remove the iac pintle. You don't need to to clean it, and you probably won't be able to get it back in. I ended up buying a new one for that reason.
somewhat...don't remove pintle from housing...but if there are carbon deposits on the pintle and pintle shaft, spray it down good with TB cleaner or carb cleaner. When spraying the IAC, hold it with the pintle facing mother earth, so that the cleaner doesn't get into the motor housing...

oh yeah, smack123, sorry about circleing that bolt, i knew you had that covered.....

Old 04-07-2005, 12:02 AM
smack123
Drifting

Originally Posted by wht_slvr_86
is that the airfoil i hear about or is that the stock gm part

Which one?..., though it doesn't really matter...Everything I've mentioned here was installed by the General himself.

Ok, I have not removed the pindle, and did as suggested - cleaned it in place holding it so the cleaner does not get into the stepper motor.

As for the plenum, any thoughts...should I keep going? Where does it end

This is too much fun. I must say, I am pretty proud of myself.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:03 AM
korvette4u
Drifting

YES, the TB/IAC is off!!!!!! Thanks to everyone for the great tips and suggestions!!!!!

Don't worry MikeC4, I knew I still had that bolt to come off (step#1), it's all good.

I'm picking up new gaskets tomorrow.

1. Now, how do I remove the pindle from the IAC?

2. The plenum is also very carboned, should I remove it and clean it too? How difficult is that?

THANKS!!!!

This is the type of thing that I never would have even known to try or attempt on my own without the help of the forum.
your doing fine...just get some carb cleaner .. spray it inside the plentum,( for now, as gaskets are about 80.00$) the deposit will disappear and be burned out later, make sure you clean throttle plates, put a little WD40 on them and the shaft.
as for the bypass.. DO IT ... have had mine done now for years.. no problem with it.. i seen adapter 5/8" to 3/4" @ auto value today middle row, near counter. ( 6-7 bucks)if its feasable, you could cange the entire hose. removing the iac should be done with care. when cleaning use carb cleaner, oil it lightly.. make sure that it is retracted enough as not to bottom it out when installing. Read the tech notes on my website.
you will have to reset TPS, iac, as we did the other day....hopefully this will cure the boog you spoke of..

The air foil is removeable, clean behind it, and reinstall.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:28 AM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Which one?..., though it doesn't really matter...Everything I've mentioned here was installed by the General himself.

Ok, I have not removed the pindle, and did as suggested - cleaned it in place holding it so the cleaner does not get into the stepper motor.

As for the plenum, any thoughts...should I keep going? Where does it end

This is too much fun. I must say, I am pretty proud of myself.
where does it end you ask!? When you can't find any more bolts to take off....

when I took this picture a couple months back, I wasn't sure I would remember how to put it all back together.....

Old 04-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Mad-Mic
Pro

Originally Posted by TerryMathews

i live in maryland and it gets down in the teens and zero's pretty frequent at night and i've driven my vette many times like that with no problem. as long as the motor is warm it won't freeze up. the tb gets plenty hot enough even bypassed due to radiation heat.

it's all upto you. personally i've never had problems below freezing.

Get notified of new replies

To TB / IAC Cleaning - DISASSEMBLY (PICS)

Old 04-07-2005, 12:41 AM
smack123
Drifting

1. What is the functional benefit of the TB bypass?

2. If I do the TB bypass, what do I do with the connections on the TB - Do they need to be blocked off, if so where would I obtain such a plug or cap?

Last edited by smack123; 04-07-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:54 AM
smack123
Drifting

Hey guys - here are some progress pictures.

With regards to gaskets, 2 of them broke while being removed, and in any event I'm sure it's a good idea to replace them. As for part names, the best I can find is:

1. Throttle Body Gasket
2. Throttle Body gasket (underside) this I assume is the one to connect to the IAC
3. ??? What is the name for the one on top "Throttle Body Plate Gasket"? The one that seals the TPI plate.

Can I get the gaskets through any auto parts store or are they only made and sold by the dealer?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by smack123; 04-07-2005 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:25 AM
korvette4u
Drifting

1. What is the functional benefit of the TB bypass?

2. If I do the TB bypass, what do I do with the connections on the TB - Do they need to be blocked off, if so where would I obtain such a plug or cap?

By pass keeps coolant from heating the TB , end result cooler air in the plentum, more HP.. as i ponted out, the other day, both inlet and outlet connection are plugged. ( Auto value) 2 plugs ... the gaskets need to be ordered from Murrays,( i hate that), but try else where first. maybe silver auto, auto pro, NAPA, and last CEP( i wouldn't even buy coffee there)..

Quick Reply: TB / IAC Cleaning - DISASSEMBLY (PICS)