C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help!! Starving for fuel on top end... Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 06:19 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Starving for fuel on top end... Any ideas?

Well, the actual problem was bucky shifting from 1st to 2nd on WOT but now the GM dealership now says I'm not getting enough fuel on top end. Basically it seems to cut off the fuel before 5k rpms (usual shift point) I have not told them that I have changed the fuel pump with a Bosch brand fuel pump. I changed it exactly how it said in the book and internet, along with a new sock, and filter, but still they say I'm not getting enough fuel. I have now singled out that it may either be clogged fuel lines or dirty/clogged/faulty injectors or bad fuel rails. According to them, there are no fuel leaks. Would it be a good idea for me to get some fuel injector cleaner and use 93 octane gas, instead of 89 octane mid-grade?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:33 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Connect a pressure gauge and take it for a WOT run. Pay the closest attention at the highest rpm and under the greatest load. If the pressure holds, it could be injectors, but nothing before them in the fuel circuit.
Originally Posted by xeugep
the GM dealership now says I'm not getting enough fuel on top end.
What are they basing this diagnosis on? Is your engine heavily modified? Higher octane gasoline won't help a thing.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Have a look at the fuel lines in the rear of the car. They can be crushed by a floor jack. Something to check that is easy to do and free.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:26 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Connect a pressure gauge and take it for a WOT run. Pay the closest attention at the highest rpm and under the greatest load. If the pressure holds, it could be injectors, but nothing before them in the fuel circuit.What are they basing this diagnosis on? Is your engine heavily modified? Higher octane gasoline won't help a thing.

RACE ON!!!
Ok, so I get one, there is really no way to get the fuel gauge in the car. Should I just tape the gauge to the window and read it from there, during the initial WOT run?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Unriced
Pro

Yup...and check your TPS...misadjusted it can affect WOT...
Old 04-05-2005, 11:47 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

YEP! I just run the hose underneath the wiper blade and use a piece of tape to keep it in place.

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Help!! Starving for fuel on top end... Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Help!! Starving for fuel on top end... Any ideas?