C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need help with Racetronix fuel pump wiring on my 1989 vette

Old 04-03-2005, 07:04 PM
weo89vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with Racetronix fuel pump wiring on my 1989 vette

Has anyone else installed the Racetronix kit in a 1989 vette?

I heard many good things about this kit here on the forum, so when my pump went bad I decided to 'upgrade' to this kit. I liked the way everything needed was included in the kit, so I decided to wait the week for one to be delivered instead of replacing with a unit from the local Kragen autoparts store. I had read the post by dock351 and appreciated his link to instruction on how to install this kit. Especially, since Racetronix doesn't supply one with their kit. However, it looks like his 1990 has different in tank wiring.

http://thewoodworthfamily.com/fuel%20pump.htm

So, here is my delema, today I am trying to install this unit, and I am very disappointed by the wiring supplied with this kit. My issues are as follows.

1. I cannot remove the purple wire from my old harness because the old harness has a molded plastic piece that holds all the wires.

http://home.comcast.net/~weo91psu/fu...mp_wiring1.jpg

2. Even if I could remove the purple wire, the new connector for the top of the tank doesn't appear to work with the bracket that holds that large plastic piece.

3. There is no place to connect the extra black wire connection at the fuel float switch. dock351 mentions that he didn't have this connection either, but his instruction doen't say what he did with the extra connector.

http://home.comcast.net/~weo91psu/fu...mp_wiring2.jpg

I have e-mailed Racetronix, but I don't expect a reply anytime today, so I'm hoping someone here on the forum can help me resolve this sooner. I really hope Racetronix didn't expect me to use the crimp connectors supplied with my kit (and not shown in their web site kit picture) to mate part of their harness to part of my original harness. That would kind of defeat the whole purpose of buying a kit with all new wiring and not using some adapter harness instead, which was one of Racetronix selling points for this kit.

These kinds of issues are always so frustrating, so any help from a fellow forum member would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:34 PM
dock351
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

did you check the recent clues Racetronix provided? I posted them on my website several days ago. it might help. Im gonna dive back into my tank and see what s up in a few days. Basically, he says that the extra black wire connector attaches to the level sender, but i have not looked to see where exactly. I just left it hanging! I had nothing like that brown connector on the wires. geez. time for jury rigging. my purple wire has to get reconnected right too.

Last edited by dock351; 04-03-2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:46 PM
weo89vette
Advanced

I was using your instruction as a guide. I can see the difference in your original wiring and mine from the pictures. I cannot find any place to attach the extra black wire on the float level switch.

Did you measure your fuel pressure after the install? If so, what did it measure? Just courious as to what I should expect when I get this wiring figured out.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:58 PM
dock351
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06

i havent got an engine installed in the car yet

(see my thread "IM FREAKING OUT" in c-4 general

Anyway, i think its Jack at Racetronix, pester him and see if he helps, if so, ill update the instructions. . . I think you could do what i did regarding the xtra black connector, assume it was there for years / models that did it, or fabricate a place to connect it

Racetronix has a good product with lousy instructions. and they wont do anything about it...
Old 04-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I see your from Livermore also.
I have the kit also.
I was going to install it day..... (I might do it tonight)

Just replaced the fuel filter....

Last edited by Coupe89; 04-03-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:15 AM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

dock351, pestering will only stand to agitate not expedite the situation. Nobody said we were not working on instructions but then these kits were originally intended for installation by a certified tech or a Racetronix dealer not the end user.

As far as the wiring is concerned we are having issues with G.M.'s documentation on sending units vs. model years. It would almost seem as if they just threw in whatever they had on the shelf during the transition years. The service part number is consistent for the entire '89-96 model years 25027510. It might just come down to having to find the broadcast code on the sender's wiring harness or pulling it out of the tank before ordering our FPA's.

There is no easy way to transfer over the violet wire on modules which have the bonded EMI/FI filter (plastic box) over to the new Racetronix harness. The primary objective of the Racetronix in-tank wiring harness is to replace and upgrade the pump's power source. The violet level sender wire need not be upgraded. In this case a nylon butt connector will have to be used for splicing.

In weo89vette's case the sender has both the old style in-tank connector as well as the EMI/RFI filter which compounds the problem. The other option is to use the Walbro style in-line adapter but that defeats upgrading the pump's wiring. GM makes it a PITA to fix these problems while keeping the solution fully plug and play.

One last option is to keep the factory connector you have now and cut the black and gray wires off of the EMI/RFI filter. Remove the gray lock on the black factory connector by depressing its ears on either side of the connector. Use the paper clip to release the terminals from the front of the factory and Racetronix connector via the detent channels. MAKE A NOTE OF THEIR LOCATIONS. Insert the white and black wires into the same cavities where the gray and black wires came from on the factory connector. (white=gray=+, black = ground) You may have to gently bend the terminal tangs back so that they lock in place / 'click'. Reinsert the gray terminal lock. The female terminal half way down the black wire is meant to plug into a ground beside the level sender resistor BUT your style of module does not have it. We have a grounding clamp we could send you which will allow you to take advantage of this redundant ground. Usually the black wire is bonded to the sender body at some point on the sending unit. This is required to provide ground to the level sender. The pump gets a direct ground.

It seems as if the '89 model year is a toss up as to which sender came with the car. So far we have seen no less than three different types since the release of our system unless the have been changed w/o knowledge. So far 1990 and up have all been consistent in their configuration.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:27 PM
weo89vette
Advanced

Can you send me the in-line adapter for the Walbro pump? I would prefer to keep this installation plug and play, and my original wiring seems to be in very good condition.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:26 AM
weo89vette
Advanced

Coupe89, did you have a chance to install your kit. Did you have the EMI/RFI filter in your wiring? Just wondered if you had the same problem.

I am in Livermore also, and I wanted badly to come to your event a couple weeks ago, but unfortunately I had another commitment that day. Maybe next time.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:27 AM
weo89vette
Advanced

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution? I'm still waiting to hear back from Racetronix on whether or not they will supply me the adapter harness, so I don't have to cut anything?
Old 04-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You will be sent an adapter free of charge.

Our ad will be adjusted to reflect the variation in fuel senders.
1990 and up is a safe bet but 1988 and older are a somewhat of a toss-up.

If customers could submit the broadcast codes found on the wiring harness coming our of their senders along with some pictures clearly showing the wiring configuration and connectors it would greatly be appreciated. We will build a database here and perhaps be better able to help customers identify their 1988 and earlier senders without having to remove them from the tank. We could then offer new wiring harnesses for all the compatible fuel senders.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:58 AM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Jack, I wish all the vendors would take care of problems this well.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:22 AM
byebyeL98
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Racetronix
You will be sent an adapter free of charge.

Our ad will be adjusted to reflect the variation in fuel senders.
1990 and up is a safe bet but 1988 and older are a somewhat of a toss-up.

If customers could submit the broadcast codes found on the wiring harness coming our of their senders along with some pictures clearly showing the wiring configuration and connectors it would greatly be appreciated. We will build a database here and perhaps be better able to help customers identify their 1988 and earlier senders without having to remove them from the tank. We could then offer new wiring harnesses for all the compatible fuel senders.
yeah. that's what i was told. twice. i never received anything.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Caboboy
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22
'23-'24

Originally Posted by byebyeL98
yeah. that's what i was told. twice. i never received anything.
Same thing here......two years ago I finally gave up!
Old 04-08-2005, 10:37 AM
byebyeL98
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Caboboy
Same thing here......two years ago I finally gave up!

me too. after my phone calls and e-mails went unreturned, i gave up and spliced the leads to the fuel pump. at least the nylon butt connectors were included in the kit. it seems to work fine.

very disappointed in the customer service, though.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:28 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought the pump only as a result of the "unknowns".

I have a schematic I receive from another member if anyone would care to receive it. Just let me know.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I did mine on Monday.
I see what you guys are talking about.
I just spliced mine. With the new end and shrink wrapped them.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:35 PM
89vette
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Boy I bought the Racetronix kit for my 89 and I thought it was one of the best aftermarket pieces I ever bought. I never had to pull my sending unit. I had a complete wiring harness that went from the battery and alternator to the pump connector. There was also a relay that mounted under the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with Racetronix fuel pump wiring on my 1989 vette

Old 04-08-2005, 02:44 PM
byebyeL98
Safety Car

you didn't replace the fuel pump?
Old 04-08-2005, 03:00 PM
dock351
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06

[QUOTE=Racetronix]dock351, pestering will only stand to agitate not expedite the situation. Nobody said we were not working on instructions but then these kits were originally intended for installation by a certified tech or a Racetronix dealer not the end user.

QUOTE]

Hi Jack:

Nobody said you are working on instructions, either.

There are threads on this forum that show a "concern" about instructions that are TWO YEARS ago or more old. There were NO instructions included with my package. NOT ONE WORD, and NOTHING on your website. There were threads from CF, at least.

Whether you intend to originally intended to sell these to certfied techs or whatever, you ARE selling them to neophytes like me and many others here on CF.

I have had other CF members say that they have had some trouble getting help from you. Thus, the use of the minor word 'pester.' As I knew you would ultimately respond...you did for me.

I have prominently supported your efforts on other threads, and your product is outstanding. But I do believe your company SHOULD and COULD easily post some instructions on your website about this product, at least as well as you have done with the wiring harness upgrade.

YOUR website advertises, and I quote (emphasis added):

Racetronix in-house harness manufacturing facility has produced a one-piece replacement for the in-tank pump wiring. Racetronix replacement in-tank wiring plugs directly into the new pump and into the factory bulkhead connector thereby "eliminating all the factory pump wiring and the need for in-line plug adapters".

"PLUG AND PLAY"

ironically, it is not. There are differences in model years that the installer is likely to confront and these are not mentioned.

I am glad you have responded here, but I dont need any preaching about pestering. Is suggesting a CF member continue trying to get your attention is aggravating???? There is an obvious need to get your attention to solve a problem that you could have prevented.

Again, get that digicam out and get your company to put some instructions up that will prevent the installer from making an easy, 15 minute job into a frustrating experience.

Mark the Pesterer
Old 04-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Caboboy
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22
'23-'24

dock351, well written post

Originally Posted by Racetronix
dock351, pestering will only stand to agitate not expedite the situation. Nobody said we were not working on instructions but then these kits were originally intended for installation by a certified tech or a Racetronix dealer not the end user.

Then why sell them on the forum? We're pretty much all end users here and would like to have accurate instructions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with Racetronix fuel pump wiring on my 1989 vette