C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'93 C4. AC Control Panel

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 09:51 PM
Tike_Maylor
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 C4. AC Control Panel

Hi All,

I'm getting my AC system fixed in my C4 (5.7L V8, 40th Anniversary Edition), and my mechanic fixed everything-- leaks, R12>R134a conversion, etc-- but we are facing issues with the Digital Climate Control Panel,GM Part 19151956 (AC DELCO 1573765), as it's not doing what it's supposed to even after everything else was changed, and either has to be fixed or swapped out.

I've scavenging online, everything kind of expensive ($250 to $400 non-ebay) but was wondering if I could swap it out for something like GM Part 16162371 (ACDELCO 1571929), the manual control equivalent.

***EDIT: TLDR, This is taking the Digital AC control panel and switching to the manual control panel to resolve error code misread

Let me know!

Last edited by Tike_Maylor; 09-01-2021 at 10:27 PM. Reason: grammar and spelling; last bit of info
Old 09-01-2021, 11:23 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Sorry, you can't swap the manual control for the automatic one. The manual one is completely different in how it works. Take it apart and get some electronic contact cleaner (even Walmart carries it). Clean all the connection points and the spots on the board where the rubber buttons hit and put it back together. Chances are pretty good that it will come back to life.
If that doesn't work, any control from 1990 to 1996 will work. The only difference being the 95-96 ones have white lettering.

The following users liked this post:
Tike_Maylor (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 11:34 PM
Tike_Maylor
Cruising

Originally Posted by jv9999
Sorry, you can't swap the manual control for the automatic one. The manual one is completely different in how it works. Take it apart and get some electronic contact cleaner (even Walmart carries it). Clean all the connection points and the spots on the board where the rubber buttons hit and put it back together. Chances are pretty good that it will come back to life.
If that doesn't work, any control from 1990 to 1996 will work. The only difference being the 95-96 ones have white lettering.
Thanks for the response-- now knowing I have the range of '90-'96 to work with, that should help a bit.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:18 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

Before you go to the trouble or expense of finding the control in the Dashboard you may if you have not done so yet, Test or diagnose the programmer down on the Firewall by brake pedal.

When I first got my car I had to De-Butcher my 93 it had a control head out of a 95 (white button's) and an AC system that had the compressor running anytime the fan was on. Previous Owner was a hack and I thought it was the mismatched control but WVZR-1 gave me some insight that was correct about the control/programmer under dash possibly the problem and it was. As it turns out I found that the previous Owner had run a wire from fan power to compressor, so control is good and was not the problem.

So if you feel like you need the in dash control I have the white button head I can sell you for a lot less than ebay, just PM me and we can work things out.

Last edited by s carter; 09-02-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:46 PM
Tike_Maylor
Cruising

Originally Posted by s carter
Before you go to the trouble or expense of finding the control in the Dashboard you may if you have not done so yet, Test or diagnose the programmer down on the Firewall by brake pedal.

When I first got my car I had to De-Butcher my 93 it had a control head out of a 95 (white button's) and an AC system that had the compressor running anytime the fan was on. Previous Owner was a hack and I thought it was the mismatched control but WVZR-1 gave me some insight that was correct about the control/programmer under dash possibly the problem and it was. As it turns out I found that the previous Owner had run a wire from fan power to compressor, so control is good and was not the problem.

So if you feel like you need the in dash control I have the white button head I can sell you for a lot less than ebay, just PM me and we can work things out.
My mechanic did suspect something along those lines-- my car's previous owner did do a few electrical things to the car (radio, color changing headlights, etc.) I'll give it a look, and I most definitely will PM you if I do need it.

Like I mentioned in some other forum posts, I'm truly amazed by the supportive and dedicated members of this forum. Thanks a lot!
Old 09-02-2021, 06:03 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Tike_Maylor
My mechanic did suspect something along those lines-- my car's previous owner did do a few electrical things to the car (radio, color changing headlights, etc.) I'll give it a look, and I most definitely will PM you if I do need it.

Like I mentioned in some other forum posts, I'm truly amazed by the supportive and dedicated members of this forum. Thanks a lot!

In my case I had a fried chip with lots of corrosion and got lucky and was able to locate top and bottom at same place probably same car just put in weeks apart.

2 of the photos are the programmer with the corrosion and the other is the head if you want it
Attached Images    

Last edited by s carter; 09-02-2021 at 06:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tike_Maylor (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 01:16 PM
gdgeorge
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

You might want to look at the troubleshooting stuff at batee.com, There's a lot of good info there. They also offer reasonable rebuild services or parts if you'd rather DIY.

Jerry
The following 2 users liked this post by gdgeorge:
jv9999 (09-04-2021), Tike_Maylor (09-04-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To '93 C4. AC Control Panel

Quick Reply: '93 C4. AC Control Panel