C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headers and short plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 05:26 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tpi1986
problem is they told me that was with a tappered seat, which the factory alm head is not. Freaking driving me nuts
86 was a switch-over year. Early Vettes had cast iron heads and late Vettes got the aluminum ones.

They take different plugs.

I posted not to rely on the parts store guy to give you the correct plugs for a reason?

When I bought my car, an early 86 with iron heads, and pulled the plugs, guess which ones were in there. EXACTLY!

Gotta do your homework first.

Jake
Old 03-24-2005, 05:27 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

TPI86, Have you tried the dealer? Get a part number then cross reference?
Fozzy, try TPIS in the morning, maybe they know something. There are ways to insulate the boot also.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:34 PM
tpi1986
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
TPI86, Have you tried the dealer? Get a part number then cross reference?
Fozzy, try TPIS in the morning, maybe they know something. There are ways to insulate the boot also.

If by dealer you me our local Chevy dealer, yes. The guy I talked to was not very helpful. I won't bore you with the details, but lets just say I may have found the missing link

Thanks for all of the help. I never imagined being stumped on a spark plug. This knocks you down a little on the "I am so smart" thought process.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by vettefast
These are the plugs I had to change to after I had my 383 built with Hooker long tube headers. To date they work great and hasn't missed a beat. Also I have not had a burnt boot yet! I got them through Summit.
Thanks.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:02 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

OOPS

Last edited by steve40th; 03-25-2005 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:36 AM
snoopdan
Drifting

LOL now we have 2 long threads with the same problem. Confusion on the 86L !! Maybe I should have found something easier to replace on my car besides spark plugs - the enigne.

snoopdan
Old 03-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by snoopdan
LOL now we have 2 long threads with the same problem. Confusion on the 86L !! Maybe I should have found something easier to replace on my car besides spark plugs - the enigne.

snoopdan
Actually there was only one long thread... yours.

If you notice, this thread is actually very short. Only two people have answered my question; with only one post. (thanks vettefast... Dino's was ontopic too, he said that my issue was not as bad as I was thinking) The rest has just been hyjacking.

I said that I didn't want to go by web-based info, that I was looking for people who had personal experience. Take a look back at how many people just copied info off of the web (or even told me to call a vendor to get their marketing info directly from them).

Sure I appriciate the spirit in which the information was offered.... I would certainly not blast anybody for anything posted on this thread, but it didn't answer the question that I was asking.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:50 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Fozzy_Bear
Hi All.
I just installed TPIS long tube headers and plug number 7 is very close to the tube. I want to put a shorter spark plug in to give myself a little space (using Accell U groove plugs right now). I am sure I can spend 2 hours searching and find a list of plugs that would fit, but does anybody have any personal recommendations?
I am using stock heads (late '86 aluminium) now. And I will be swapping in a set of twisted wedge heads when I do a rebuild later this year.

thanks
I have an 86 too, and am running TPIS long tube headers and aftermarket aluminum heads also but I don't have a clearance problem on #7.

On the other hand, #2 was tight and I dimpled the header tube to open the clearance a tad.

I've used several different brand plugs, Champion, Autolite, NGK, AC, etc., all of the standard length. I've been running NGK Platinum tips for a year or so now and they're work well.

If you need the specific part number, I'll have to pull one to see beause I don't believe I saved the boxes they came in.

I also have an extensive spark plug cross reference listing in an Excel (*.xls) format that may help. If you want it let me know.

Jake
Old 03-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by JAKE
I've used several different brand plugs, Champion, Autolite, NGK, AC, etc., all of the standard length.
I also have an extensive spark plug cross reference listing in an Excel (*.xls) format that may help. If you want it let me know.

Jake
Jake,
Have you been running LT headers the whole time, or were some of those with the factory manifolds?

I don't think I will need the cross reference until I replace the heads; but I bet it would be really nice to have when I do. Please send that along to me.

Thanks
- Robert
Old 03-31-2005, 12:48 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Jake,
Have you been running LT headers the whole time, or were some of those with the factory manifolds?

I don't think I will need the cross reference until I replace the heads; but I bet it would be really nice to have when I do. Please send that along to me.

Thanks
- Robert
Just received your msg from the Forum. In fact, I received 52 messages, some more than a week old. Otherwise I would have gotten back to you sooner.

When I first rebuilt the stock engine, which was bored .030, I used the stock exhaust manifolds. When I installed the 415 I still retained the stock manifolds, but a short while later installed the TPIS long tube headers.

I need your email address in order to send the cross-reference file. Email me: jakejr266@sbcglobal.net and I'll send the file.

Jake
Old 03-31-2005, 06:37 PM
snoopdan
Drifting

Actually there was only one long thread... yours.

If you notice, this thread is actually very short. Only two people have answered my question; with only one post. The rest has just been hyjacking.

I tell you what, the next time you ask a question, and I specifically know the correct answer to your question, i'll hit that neat friendly little button that says "Back" and move on. It wasnt like I was asking for help in YOUR thread, and people were responding to my post instead of yours. I just guess I dont get some people I guess I wouldnt respond that way, but whatever.

snoopdan

Last edited by snoopdan; 03-31-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:20 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by snoopdan
I tell you what, the next time you ask a question, and I specifically know the correct answer to your question, i'll hit that neat friendly little button that says "Back" and move on. It wasnt like I was asking for help in YOUR thread, and people were responding to my post instead of yours. I just guess I dont get some people I guess I wouldnt respond that way, but whatever.

snoopdan
Wow.
That was a whole lot more hostile than it had to be.

Did you get to the end where I said:
..."I appriciate the spirit in which the information was offered..."

If you are upset by what I said, please send me a PM and we can talk about it offline.

Quick Reply: Headers and short plugs.