C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wheel Alignment troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 01:24 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I've seen a number of posts in this thread that say aligned to GM specs... Is that what most of you are doing?
Based on previous CF advice I have been using the "Advanced Street" specs from VBP.
Any comments?
http://www.vbandp.com/instructions/h...ruct/align.htm
Old 03-18-2005, 01:34 PM
LangstC4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivory90
Are you in SoCal?
Northern Cal...Pleasanton Area.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:37 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
There's a little mom and pop shop here call Hughley's that I take my Vette to for alignments. The place has been there for over 40 years, and has an excellent reputation.

They charge me $75 every time....even after I replaced all my front and rear suspension bushings with polyurethane, which put it way out of spec. They always have it done in less than an hour.

I wouldn't go anyplace else. I can take my 84 to over 100 mph on a level road, and it tracks straight as an arrow.

I strongly suggest you find just such a shop where you live. Talk to friends and co-workers and get recommendations.

I've had my entire suspension off my car, in my own garage, so I feel very confident making this statement: There is absolutely NOTHING mysterious about a C4's suspension. It's actually quite simple. Given an alignment rack and an hour or so, I could do it myself. In fact, a lot of folks set up their own alignment jigs in their garages and do their own alignments.

"Shim aligned"? How did they define this? The only place shims are used are on the front upper control arms to adjust caster and camber. And it just involves loosening two nuts, inserting or removing the appropriate shims, and retorquing the nuts. Same procedure as with most vehicles.

The rear uses two cams to adjust camber, and two tie rod ends to adjust toe....that's it. They simply back the car onto the rack, and set the toe reverse of the front.

If you pay more than $75-$85, IMHO, you are being hosed. You are justified in informing this shop that they are little short of criminals, and you will pass this information on to the tight knit Corvette community, with the advice to avoid their facility.

I'm quite sorry....you've fallen victim to the infamous "Corvette Tax"
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!!! This is something that I've needed to hear. I have put off getting an alignment because it is that kinda "grey" area that I really don't understand as well (even though I've read through the procedure in my service manual). I DO know that if you are not educated about your car, then you are an easy target. I must admit that I feel more confident about gettin my alignment done now.

Thanks again!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Ivory90
Racer

I purchased tires through TireRack and found that the Recommended Installer for my area had fair price. I went back and had him install shocks brakes rotors and 4 wheel alignment. The alignment was less than $80 for me.

You may want to try the TireRack Installation button at the bottom of this page: http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp

It will list shops in your area after inputting your ZIP.

I'd interview them with the info you've learned about price and take a good look at the shop to see that they have the computer alignment machine and that they don't appear to be a hack shop.

Good Luck,
Frank.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:27 PM
LangstC4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ivory90
I purchased tires through TireRack and found that the Recommended Installer for my area had fair price. I went back and had him install shocks brakes rotors and 4 wheel alignment. The alignment was less than $80 for me.
Thanks for the tip...I also bought tires through Tire Rack and didnt even think to check. Just for kicks I tried it now, and all of the local shops show up except the one I went to...go figure.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm getting my alignment done tomorrow by a friend at a dealership. We'll see just what extra costs there may be. Of course I'll be standing there watching them do the whole thing because I want to see how it works.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!!!
You are most certainly welcome. I just hate it when Corvette owners are exploited by unscrupulous shops. I'd like to plant my right foot in the manager's jewels at that Goodyear store that ripped off Langst. Charging "Corvette Tax" should a be a Class A felony punishable by castration.

The only time an alignment should exceed $85 or so is if parts (not shims) are needed.....ie bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.

When I first got my 84, the suspension was all original and worn out. I had never torn into a C4's suspension before, but I read the Helms manual and took it apart.

For the front, I replaced upper and lower control arm bushings, ball joints, steering rack, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, and sway bar bushings. I did it one side at a time, and was amazed at how simple it really is.

The back looked more complicated, but again, was amazingly simple. Control arm bushings, strut rod bushings, sway bar, wheel bearings, center link & tie rods, spring bushings, & that's it. And it did the half shaft u joints while I was in there. All done in just my spare time, one side at a time.

When I was done, I did a "redneck alignment" with a bubble level and a measuring tape so I could drive it to the alignment shop. $75 and an hour later, it steered like a new car. I was pleasantly surprised at how little there really is to adjust to align it.

Anyhow, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Tire rack is an excellent resource for local shops that can help you out, and a great place for tires....got my Kumhos there.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:56 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

c4cruiser....incorrect. No shims are used on the rear.

Jake...on the rear, they loosen the bolts that secure the two cams (mounted on the rear end carrier) that control the strut rods, set the camber, and tighten the bolts. That's it. No shims are used on the rear. Then they just adjust the tie rod ends to set the toe. Finished.
Right! I've fooled around with the rear settings on my 86 enough times to know there are no shims involved, but I figured I may have missed something.

Just wanted to be sure that old age hadn't dimmed my vision THAT much.

Thanks,

Jake
Old 03-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JAKE

Just wanted to be sure that old age hadn't dimmed my vision THAT much.

Thanks,

Jake
I hope it doesn't.....I ain't no spring chicken either
Old 03-18-2005, 07:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I agree w/ Friz, I pay $65-$75 for alignment to MY specs (autox), sit in the car, 90 day warranty (which is unusual when you supply the specs)..
Find a new alignment shop. Vettes are NOT special so far as alignment is concerned.

There's a little mom and pop shop here call Hughley's that I take my Vette to for alignments. The place has been there for over 40 years, and has an excellent reputation.

They charge me $75 every time....even after I replaced all my front and rear suspension bushings with polyurethane, which put it way out of spec. They always have it done in less than an hour.

I wouldn't go anyplace else. I can take my 84 to over 100 mph on a level road, and it tracks straight as an arrow.

I strongly suggest you find just such a shop where you live. Talk to friends and co-workers and get recommendations.

I've had my entire suspension off my car, in my own garage, so I feel very confident making this statement: There is absolutely NOTHING mysterious about a C4's suspension. It's actually quite simple. Given an alignment rack and an hour or so, I could do it myself. In fact, a lot of folks set up their own alignment jigs in their garages and do their own alignments.

"Shim aligned"? How did they define this? The only place shims are used are on the front upper control arms to adjust caster and camber. And it just involves loosening two nuts, inserting or removing the appropriate shims, and retorquing the nuts. Same procedure as with most vehicles.

The rear uses two cams to adjust camber, and two tie rod ends to adjust toe....that's it. They simply back the car onto the rack, and set the toe reverse of the front.

If you pay more than $75-$85, IMHO, you are being hosed. You are justified in informing this shop that they are little short of criminals, and you will pass this information on to the tight knit Corvette community, with the advice to avoid their facility.

I'm quite sorry....you've fallen victim to the infamous "Corvette Tax"
Old 03-18-2005, 07:36 PM
BIG JIM 54
Burning Brakes

My alignment cost me $125.00.

I took the specs from an issue of 'Vette Magazine that were supposedly taken from the TPS website. This among other things, included a 1.1 degrees of front negative camber. IMO, this is necessary for getting maximum patch and proper tire wear when running 315/35-17 Michelin Pilot Sports on all four with 9.5" wheels.

They got me for another $100.00 for mounting and balancing those tires however.

FWIW,
BIG JIM

Quick Reply: Wheel Alignment troubles