C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Drive shaft '91 L-98

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 09:53 PM
wsherrard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Drive shaft '91 L-98

Anyone pulled the drive shaft on an L-98? I want to replace the U-joints. I know I need to drop the back half of the exhaust. Manual says to remove the driveline support also. Is it really necessary?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:12 PM
87NassauBlue
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you will have to remove that driveline support otherwise you wouldn't be able to move the diff back enough to get the shaft out. I chose not to change my drive shaft u joints during my overhaul, because, these stay in a straight line and don't flex very much at all so the wear would be very minimal. I did however change my half shaft u joints and put in brute force forged steel joints.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:40 AM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The driveline support (C-beam) will have to be moved over but not completley removed. This means removing all of the bolts (could possibly leave 1 on the tranny end) and pushing it to one side to get the shaft out.

You do not have to move the diff - the shaft will safely slide into the tranny far enough to get everything apart. Putting the C-beam back is a real PITA but it will eventually go into place with enough messing around.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:15 AM
SupaVette
Racer

Originally Posted by Dale1990
The driveline support (C-beam) will have to be moved over but not completley removed. This means removing all of the bolts (could possibly leave 1 on the tranny end) and pushing it to one side to get the shaft out.

You do not have to move the diff - the shaft will safely slide into the tranny far enough to get everything apart. Putting the C-beam back is a real PITA but it will eventually go into place with enough messing around.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:18 PM
wsherrard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thanks

Thanks guys. I already replaced the half shaft joints. One of them was in really bad shape. That cleared up a vibration I'd had for a while. Don't feel anything in the propeller shaft U-joints but I already bought them so I'm going to replace them anyway. Didn't think you needed to move the diff. the slip joint on the tranny should handle that ok. Does on most vehicles anyway. I was just hoping I'd be able to do it without disconnecting the support. I've heard other guys describe it the same way (PITA) you did.

Any comments on the sealer the manual recommends applying to the mating surfaces? If you used one what did you use?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I didn't use any sealer last time I took mine apart but most people seem to favor some type of RTV sealant.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Mr6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wsherrard
Anyone pulled the drive shaft on an L-98? I want to replace the U-joints. I know I need to drop the back half of the exhaust. Manual says to remove the driveline support also. Is it really necessary?
No!!! You don't have to remove or even touch the drive line support! Remove the rear u-joint bolts, slide the drive shaft slightly forward, and then you can move the back of the drive shaft to the driver's side. Then just slide it out the back.

It's easy, no need to make a big job out of it by removing the driveline support also.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:20 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr6spd
No!!! You don't have to remove or even touch the drive line support! Remove the rear u-joint bolts, slide the drive shaft slightly forward, and then you can move the back of the drive shaft to the driver's side. Then just slide it out the back.

It's easy, no need to make a big job out of it by removing the driveline support also.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:26 PM
wsherrard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Mr6spd! I was hoping someone would say that. I didn't take the straps off and try it but it looks like the thing should do exactly what you suggest. I'll give it a shot this week end. Mine is a 6 speed also.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:37 PM
black85vette
Instructor

Default sealer on the bolts?

sealer on the bolts? what does it do? why is it needed?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:30 AM
wsherrard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Not exactly sure what it's for but the Chevy manual says put it on.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:38 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by black85vette
sealer on the bolts? what does it do? why is it needed?
Manual states to apply a bead of sealer around the top and bottom mating surfaces on both the transmission and axle and also to the cavity around the bolts. My guess its purpose is a vibration insulation and to prevent noises such as the clunk sound when the system flexes. With that said, I have not used it because it’s such a tight fit getting that thing back in there that I figured most of the sealant would be pushed out anyway. I have had that clunking noise and had to re-torque the bolts.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:48 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87SAM
With that said, I have not used it because it’s such a tight fit getting that thing back in there that I figured most of the sealant would be pushed out anyway.
Here here

Get notified of new replies

To Drive shaft '91 L-98

Quick Reply: Drive shaft '91 L-98