C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I finally did my plugs and OUCH MY HANDS

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 09:00 PM
vettman10
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by smack123
I have heard that the Bosch Platinums are a nightmare, poor quality sprak plug. I can't speak from experience, having never used them, but I've told on numerous occasions to stay away from them. Just MHO.

Be careful what you say, one guys smacks a product and the next thing you know everyone says its a piece of junk. I believe the Bosch Platinums +2's or +4's are the most advanced plug currently available, and I have them in many of my cars including my C5, a Tahoe, and a LT1 powered Z28. They work great, and they last a really long time (which is what the mulitiple electrodes are all about). I put 60K miles on the set in the Z28 with absolutely no problems and its still runs very strong.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:30 PM
87NassauBlue
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TankerVette
what doesn't kill us makes us stronger (or some s**t like that...)...

wait till you try to install headers
Yea buddy headers will make you say ugly words Sounds like you really needed a new set of plugs. If you start having problems again, don't forget to check your plugs again. I've heard a lot of complaints about the bosch platnums with the tips failing.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:13 AM
zrwon_Can.
Advanced

Originally Posted by 87NassauBlue
Yea buddy headers will make you say ugly words Sounds like you really needed a new set of plugs. If you start having problems again, don't forget to check your plugs again. I've heard a lot of complaints about the bosch platnums with the tips failing.
The tips or puck does fall, I think it might be cause by closing the gap to much then prying on the tip to open it back, but I might be wrong.
I'm not a fan of the Bosh myself, I've heard complaint too.

My favorite right now is NGK Iradium TR 55 IX, I use them in my ZR1 and my 95 Z28, it cuts the cranking time and I can really feel the performance improvement especially in the ZR1, the tip is very fragile though, I learn to check the gap and as long as it's between .050 and .054, I leave them alone.

Give them a try, you'll want to kiss me.

Al
Old 02-22-2005, 02:31 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramrod92
Steve, I used one of these sure made doing the plugs on mine a ton easier, and I'm running full length headers.

That is exactly what I need for the #7 plug with my long tubes. I am going to just cut my spark plug socket like that. Never even thought of that.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:18 AM
99svrcpe
Racer

I have EM long tubes along with the LTCC and no air tubes. Plug and wire changes are a breeze now. 15-20 min job.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:57 AM
rstackjd
Drifting

Out of curiosity - how many miles you guys getting on a set of plugs?

My '88 has 60K on it, no idea if the plugs have ever been changed (just go thte car a few months back) but we are replacing the intake gaskets this weekend and I'm thinking maybe since we;ll have stuff opened up anyway . . .
Old 02-22-2005, 02:14 PM
tm1995c4-LT1
Racer

Last time I did mine I changed 9 plugs. Yes, I said 9. Still havent found the other one.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:12 PM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by XFIRED
#8 should not be changed. If they (GM) wanted the plug changed they would have made it accessable.
Thanks! Having just done this last weekend, I needed the laugh.

Actually I discovered the perfect way to handle #8. I invited my autocross co-driver over to "help" work on the car and gave him the passenger side .

Quick Reply: I finally did my plugs and OUCH MY HANDS