C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 Rebuild Ripped-off or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 08:19 PM
jimbomill
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCAIRE2
Before you even started having them work on the car, you needed to establish with them the expectations you had.

All the machine shops I've dealt with over the years who were worth a damn, wouldn't even touch a rebuild that had to be R&R at the shop. Usually you just bring them the engine on a stand and pick it up the same way. Most good shops have enough work that they wouldn't want to put up with all the hassles associated with R&R. At the shop I worked at, unless you bought a turn-key dragster from us, we'd laugh at the thought of an R&R.
Maybe I'm too green. Isn't R&R "remove and replace" ?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:59 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

yes R&R is remove and replace.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:19 PM
0Bob@PrecisionPorting
Supporting Manufacturer

Well, the problem with giving a definite answer is that I don't know if they were damaged more when they were shipped back to us. The damage I saw when we got them back was a large amount of knicks/dents, none really major but some were in bad spots, like the combustion chamber edge, and they stuck upwards and would need to be flattened by hand. So in that shape I would say they were not useable, but the way you and your install shop described the initial shipping damage was very few knicks, nothing major which is different that what we got back.

Originally Posted by jimbomill
Bob, do you think I was right or wrong on thinking that a good gasket seal would have sufficed?
I have the old intake boxed. For the intake - I have no packing peanuts or the like. To prevent shifting, I wedged 2 pieces of styrofoam to the side of the intake in the box. If you think this will not be OK, let me know and I'll do something different.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:27 PM
87NassauBlue
Racer

I recently went through my L98 engine. I did all the work except for the bottom end rebuild and balance and the basic head work. I did everything else and still spent $4000. If you dealt with a reputable shop, they should provide detailed documentation on your overhaul. They should be willing to go over it with you, but sounds like you'll end up paying the bill if you want your car back.

Quick Reply: LT1 Rebuild Ripped-off or Not?