C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Warning,Warning-Get Extra Keys--Dealer not able to replace!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 08:48 AM
solon13
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning,Warning-Get Extra Keys--Dealer not able to replace!

All dealers around me say I must tow the 1989 vette to their shop and will probably have to replace the VATS ignition with a new vats system---they could not make a key from the VIN number. No locksmith could or maybe I should say would ,do it either----tried over 35 locksmith---street keys said they could do it for $175. but they are just a national contact point and no one around here would do it after all their referrals.

SOOOOO---make sure you have extra keys made ANDDDDDD put them where you can find them.

ohhhhh the pleasures of owning a vette

Best

Sad solon
Old 02-08-2005, 09:07 AM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Well, if I lost my keys, I'd custom rig a push button ignition and hide the switch in a good location. That way if a jacker tried to steal your car, he'll be like...WTF??

Or you can be more responsible and actually not loose your keys. Lay off the Mary Jane. J/K..

Yeah man, I'd just make a keyless ignition switch.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:10 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm pretty sure people have posted that they have gotten VATS keys from dealers with the VIN number, but if you can't then:

A locksmith should be able to cut you a non-vats ignition key.

You can determine the VATS value using resistors.

Then you can buy yourself the proper VATS key blank and have it cut to match the non-VATS key you have.

All of this will probably cost less than having the dealer replace the VATS module, and I wouldn't give them my business anyway if they can't just make a key.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:11 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nope, you can't make a key from the VIN number!! Nor can a locksmith simply look at the ignition switch and make a key that wil work unless he can select the correct key with the proper pellet resistor.

The ignition system uses a pellet resistor in the key in order for the VATS system to allow the car to start. In order to make a new key, you have to know the resistance value of the pellet in the key. The VATS module knows what the resistance is supposed to be so that other keys will not start the car (there are 15 possible combinations of keys.

It's probably possible to bypass the VATS system and cut a key to operate the ignition switch, but you lose the anti-theft protection that VATS provides.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

I've had C5 keys, and a set of keys for my chevy truck made by giving the VIN numbers.
I wonder how long GM keeps this info on file..??
Old 02-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

investing in an extra set of keys for about $27.00 was the very first thing i did when i bought my vette.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:17 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Nope, you can't make a key from the VIN number!!
Some makes you can. At the least they ought to have a record of the VATS type for a VIN. If they don't, well another reason Chevy sucks.

It's probably possible to bypass the VATS system and cut a key to operate the ignition switch.
That would be what I said.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:41 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Nor can a locksmith simply look at the ignition switch and make a key that wil work unless he can select the correct key with the proper pellet resistor.
I'm also pretty sure I've seen a tool for locksmiths which automatically tests the different resistances, so a well-equipped locksmith _can_ make a VATS ignition key just by "looking at it."
Old 02-08-2005, 10:54 AM
VAHROOM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Some Doofus

Some doofus locked the keys in my 90 while it was in the driveway. I was worried because the top was down and it looked like it was going to rain. (Hahahah I crack myself up.) So, I called AAA and they sent a guy out that made me a key by calling GM. He gave them the VIN. They asked me a few questions and he popped the key out while I watched. Granted this was a door key. I asked if he could make me another ignition key and he did without measuring, testing or looking at the original. All he needed was the VIN, my ID and to talk to GM. I am told this can be done on all 1990 and later GM vehicles. Too bad you are working on an 89. Get some spares made.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:05 AM
gears
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a key,I suppose you can still have an extra made.Does it have to be done at a dealership,or can a locksmith test the pellet and make one?
Old 02-08-2005, 11:58 AM
ToyC4
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by steve9899
I'm also pretty sure I've seen a tool for locksmiths which automatically tests the different resistances, so a well-equipped locksmith _can_ make a VATS ignition key just by "looking at it."
of course dealerships can make you a vats key it's about $50 and all you have to do is figure out which resistor pellet you need.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Fastmax32168
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can definitely have a key made for this car. You must have a bunch of really stupid locksmiths in your area. I own a used car lot and have had to have keys made for cars with chips in them many times. They make the key to fit, then they test the system to determine which of the 15 resistors they need to put in.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:32 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
If you have a key,I suppose you can still have an extra made.Does it have to be done at a dealership,or can a locksmith test the pellet and make one?
I had my extra key made at my local ACE Hardware store. They have the reader and the blanks. $19.95 plus tax.

I had my existing key read for FREE at my local Chevy dealer but when he told me to cost of a new key, I took a pass.

Strange, too, that the DEALER gave me the WRONG CODE. ACE's code was different and the key works everytime. I think Chevy was settin' me up since I wasn't getting the key made there.

Little wonder why I find it so hard to trust these shops.

Jake
Old 02-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Runum
Pro

Good to know.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by solon13
All dealers around me say I must tow the 1989 vette to their shop and will probably have to replace the VATS ignition with a new vats system---
The VATS code is stored in the CCM, doesn't matter what lock cylinder you put in, the key gets read at CCM and allows the fuel enabler to operate.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

As a master locksmith, I have been called on many times to make keys for VATS ign systems. While it's true Your dealer (or anyone else) may not be able to make a working key from your vin, a locksmith (not some "Trunk slammer" who got all he knows off some match book correspondents course) should be able to "Interigate" your system to determine the proper key. GM only keeps records back 10 years. So in about 2 years they won't have codes for any C4.

Often, a car has been stold in the past, requiring, for safety sake, that the locks be changed out, because the keys are seldom recovered. I have actually been called to dealers for such purposes. Other malfunctions could also require such changes. In any case, after they are changed, they no longer match the GM file which tracks the VIN to the lock/key codes. I have seen several cases where the locks have not been changed but the GM/FORD/Chrysler, etc. files were simply,,,,, Wrong. Very few dealers have trained technitions in the locks and keys department. Nearler every dealer in town calles me, on occasion.

I have a device called an interigator, when pluged into the system, near the bottom of the steering column, it can simulate all the possiable combinations of the VATS key system, as far as the chip is concerned. It can also read keys in a heartbeat. I then make a mechanical key (by pulling the steering wheel if no code is available) which will turn the lock but has no chip of its own. I set up the interigator to the first possiable resistance and turn the key. If wrong, we have to wait for the security system to time out and reset then set the interigator to the second number and try turning the key again. This routine of trying and allowing the security system to time out and reset is repeated until the proper setting is discovered and the car starts. It can be expensive because this could take a long time and most locksmiths get about $50.00 per hour. To make the mechanical key usually required pulling the steering wheel and many locksmiths don't want to get involved with that. At one time I had a several month stretch where I must have pulled 2 or 3 GM steering wheels a day.

The interigator cost me about $450.00 so many locksmiths won't invest in one. It's a business decision. Can you imagine how many keys you'ed have to make to amertise that piece of equipment at about a buck a wack. Add that to the fact that you maybe get calls for 2 or 3 lost vats keys a year. It could take a hundred years to pay for the interigator.

As stated by several guys above, the dealer can help in several ways. They should be able to read your key value and give it to you for your records. A fairly experianced parts guy may be able to give you the cuts on your key which you can also write down. A locksmith could do all that, and make you a non-working mechanical key which you can hide on the car or put away. A great thing to have if you lock your keys in your car. If it's found, it will open the doors but it won't start the car.

Vats keys arn't misterious or about to dry up. There are too many around. You should have all your info written down somewhere in case you do loose them though. They do require some know-how and facts. Unfortunately, there are a lot of fables out there and inept dealers and untrained locksmiths.

If I can ever help any of you guys just e-mail me.

Last edited by Strike3; 02-08-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:54 PM
92corvette
Burning Brakes

That's what I like to see.
A guy that knows his stuff rather than just guessing.
Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Warning,Warning-Get Extra Keys--Dealer not able to replace!

Old 02-08-2005, 10:48 PM
TrueBlue ChevyDude
Drifting

Location: Brandywine, Chester and Ridley Valleys Pennsylvania

Except it's called an interrogator. But yeah, that's what needs to be done. Hate to sound like the grammar police, but if you look up interigator, you won't find much out there on a google search....

I had this done when I had a motorcycle wreck and my keys went flying into the weeds.

Should have taken the guy a half an hour.

He couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start. Finally, I came downstairs after 5 hours to say "WTF??? I hope I'm not paying by the hour"

He shows me what he tried and dared me to figure out what was wrong.

Immediately, I told him "Eh, buddy, you have to press in the clutch, it's a manual transmission".

Vrooom, Vette started right up, and he turned beet red! "That's the first Vette with a stick I've seen in these years (it is an '88)." 20% were sticks, guess he hasn't seen too many C4's...
Old 02-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Bluewasp
I've had C5 keys, and a set of keys for my chevy truck made by giving the VIN numbers.
I wonder how long GM keeps this info on file..??
I was told 10 years, but not really since my buddy got a door key cut for his '89 from his VIN in 2002.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:38 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if your not the original owner, to know what dealership the car was purchased, it's possible to find out where by doing a carfax or getting a replica window sticker from the museum (it should have the name of the sold to dealer on it.

If you get lucky, the dealer might have the records on file still, and you might have a chance at getting a key.

Quick Reply: Warning,Warning-Get Extra Keys--Dealer not able to replace!