C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'85 Where should I start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 01:21 PM
DocBowtieSS
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '85 Where should I start?

I just bought a '85 vette and its my first. Not sure as to where to start modifying it. I know the runners on the TPI does nothing but choke it so ill be looking for either a SuperRam system or switch over to LT1 style. My biggest questions would be cam, heads, intake...where to start??? Any recommendations would be very appreciated. Thanks....Doc
Old 01-29-2005, 01:45 PM
byebyeL98
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

it all depends on your ultimate goal in the end, and how much $$$ you want to spend. the super ram by itself won't get you all that much without additional modifications (like heads, cam, etc), but it is a very versatile intake manifold with a lot of potential.

a good set of long tube headers, free flowing cat, and your choice of mufflers is a nice start. you didn't mention if the car was a stick or auto, but either way a nice set of gears is also a good bang for the buck.

always remember - how fast you go is directly proportional to how much you spend
Old 01-29-2005, 01:58 PM
GeosFun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, these things are pricey to modify so it is very important to decide where you want to end up before you get started. Usually that decision will dictate the range or types of mods you will make. You tend to do several at one time because just one change usually does not accomplish much. These engines are already very efficient so just changing a few "bolt on" items can be dissappointing. One Systems" approach is in the cam, heads, chip and induction area. Very important to coordinate. This can dictate a converter change as well.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:34 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an '85 also...

I would recommend starting with the exhaust.
Get underneath your car sometime and look at that stupid exhaust setup, and you'll understand why.

A good exhaust can only help you. Then when you (or if) you decide to build up the front end, your engine won't be choking itself. Besides... even the stock engine chokes itself with that exhaust.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:04 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I would not look into the Miniram/LT1 intakes unless I had a manual transmission already.

To start, get a set of Hooker 2149/2151 or TPiS headers, a Random Tech or Carsound cat, and whichever catback you prefer based solely on sound. They all perform the same. At that point you should have some idea of how much further you want to take it.

The 85's heads are crappy, so you would need to upgrade those to something like Dart Pro 200cc, TFS, AFR 195s or the like. AFR would be best but expensive and a long waiting list. 85 also has a hydraulic flat tappet cam instead of a roller, so with the Superram an Accel 213 would go well, or you could convert over to roller and get the 219 thats made for the SR.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:42 AM
DocBowtieSS
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the info. i really appraciate it.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:02 AM
85blkrose
Racer

from all the reading about the tpi system on the l98, i gathered that a a free flowing intake base,large tube runners and 190-195cc heads,zz3-zz9 cam,headers and a free flo exh will give ya quite a wicked ride for the street. i have a tpis torque secrets cam to go in but may opt for the new comp cams #4-#7 firing order swap cam for a little extra punch.all in all it just depends what you are lookin for and as mention earlier how much$$$ you want to spend
Old 01-30-2005, 09:20 AM
DocBowtieSS
Heel & Toe

What about a cold air intake? Ive read that the Vortex is a POS. Any recommendations there. That will be the first mod I will make.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:50 AM
85blkrose
Racer

i have one and have no complaints so far but if it goes south i will remove all the front shroud and fab an all aluminum box/shroud face. the pita will be the duct to the throttle body.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:07 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I wouldnt waste money on a cold air intake, they dont give the advertised gains, by far.

Over a stock setup, they do give gains, but not over 10hp. One other thing to keep in mind is that they redirect airflow that should be going through your radiator, in Florida, that means your temps will rise by 10-20F on average, and thats not good unless you have the chip reprogrammed to reset fans. Also, you shouldnt spend money on the chip until after you do the cam.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:26 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go over it end to end and detail check it for any thing it need's before the mod's
Old 01-30-2005, 12:58 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DocBowtieSS
I just bought a '85 vette and its my first. Not sure as to where to start modifying it. I know the runners on the TPI does nothing but choke it so ill be looking for either a SuperRam system or switch over to LT1 style. My biggest questions would be cam, heads, intake...where to start??? Any recommendations would be very appreciated. Thanks....Doc
Cam, heads, intake and headers, and if you can afford it go to a new Accel or TPIS intake base and ASM runners, then you can buy the Superram plenum later and sell the runners and recoup some $$$.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:13 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Comes on what your budget is.

If you want to go cheap, I'd do a catback exhaust, free-flowing mufflers, SLP Ram air system and a set of good pulleys. Shouldn't cost you more than 600 or so and should give you about 30HP or so. If your budget allows, get headers, if you are worried about emissions, only intake you can use legally is the Superram Intake. On my slightly modified vette after installing the Longtube headers and superram intake the car REALLY woke up.. I was running low 13's after those mods..

Get notified of new replies

To '85 Where should I start?

Quick Reply: '85 Where should I start?