C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Do any of you use 'fuel injector cleaner'

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 11:42 AM
Ruby Fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of you use 'fuel injector cleaner'

I just got an '85 with 41K miles, and was thinking of throwing in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. What do you think? Do any of you use this on a regular basis? Thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 04:04 PM
FX GS
Pro

Redline or Chevron Techron is the best and only ones I use.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:31 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruby Fan
I just got an '85 with 41K miles, and was thinking of throwing in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. What do you think? Do any of you use this on a regular basis? Thanks
If it makes you feel any better, dump a bottle in. Can't hurt anything.
I normally use Chevron's Techron once a year( I normally put Chevron gas in)
Whether it's Chevron, STP, Slick,Snap or Redline, I don't think it helps much.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Old182
Advanced

Having worked in the fuel additives business for 20+ years, I can tell you the cheaper the bottle, the less goody it will have. Chevron's Techron is probably the best out there, stay away from the $0.99 specials as they are nothing more than a pinch of additive and a whole lot of jet fuel (K1).
Old 08-19-2004, 05:22 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is jet fuel bad?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Old182
Advanced

Jet fuel is kerosine, a middle distillate; gasoline is a light distillate. Kerosine will mix with gasoline but it's "heavier" and will change the distillation curve of the fuel among other things. Adding 8 or 12 ounces of it to a tank of gasoline won't hurt anything; it's used as a solvent for additives, which are high moleclular weight detergents and are thick and gooey in their neat form. Some packagers use aromatics as solvents, but they're considerably more expensive than Jet A and they require better more expensive containers because aromatics will soften the typical poly bottles.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:22 PM
gbody5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might be of interest....

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html
Old 08-24-2004, 06:36 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

In the spring I use a bottle of ChevronTechron fuel system cleaner and once during the summer I use a bottle of Chevron Techron injector cleaner.
Maybe they make more margin on it... but every auto parts store I frequent claims it is one of the best... other honorable mentions, go to Lucas and Redline .
Old 08-25-2004, 01:17 AM
Movnviolation
Pro

Default Fuel inj. cleaner

I use Chevron gasoline only. Never use additives. My neighbor works at the Chevron refinery in So. Cal. He mixes the fuels. States there is plenty of techron in their Gasoline.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:25 PM
DukeDiablo
Racer

I like to use either Marvel Mystery Oil or Lucas Oil Fuel Additive/Upper Cylinder Lubricant. Some users report good results with Sea Foam added to the gas as well.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:19 PM
saigon68
Intermediate

Default take out the trash

add Chevron Techron additive immediately before filling tank.run tank near out. NOW CHANGE OIL AND FILTER. the trash that blew by the rings was in held in the old oil.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:00 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

SeaFoam, once a year, not only cleans injectors, but also carbon build up.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:43 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I add a quart of ATF (that's right, automatic transmisson fluid) to a FULL tank of fuel in mine about every 3,000 miles.

That stuff's got a SERIOUS detergent package in it and it keeps my intake, valves and injectors clean enough to practically EAT off of. No shet! Old mechanic's trick.

BTW, it won't harm your O2 sensors or cats, either.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Deacon
Instructor

I use the Lucas Injector Cleaner. It's the only one I have found to work for me. I haven't tried the Redline product.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:22 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gbody5
Old 09-27-2004, 09:58 PM
dzierke
Instructor

Originally Posted by saigon68
add Chevron Techron additive immediately before filling tank.run tank near out. NOW CHANGE OIL AND FILTER. the trash that blew by the rings was in held in the old oil.
I was told the same thing about changing the oil. The residue that ends up in your crankcase strips the oil of it's lubricating properties.

Old 09-28-2004, 09:59 PM
BamaVette87
Instructor

Default Service Bulletin about Injector Cleaners

I just put some injector cleaner in my tank during a fillup today, and then tonight I ran across this GM Service Bulletin! Now I need to know how to tell if I have Multec Injectors! (With my luck I probably do!)

Subject: MULTEC FUEL INJECTORS/CLEANING INFORMATION
Model and Year:
1986-90 CELEBRITY
1986-91 CAMARO, CAVALIER, CORVETTE
1987-91 CORSICA, BERETTA
1990-91 LUMINA, STORM
Source: Chevrolet Service Bulletin
Bulletin Number: 91-312-6E - (05/15/1991)

THIS BULLETIN CANCELS AND SUPERSEDES DEALER SERVICE BULLETIN NO. 91-280-6E, DATED APRIL 1991. THE STORM HAS BEEN ADDED. ALL COPIES OF 91-280-6E SHOULD BE DISCARDED.

This bulletin has been written to inform technicians of possible damage to Multec port fuel injectors as a result of cleaning.

The ball and seat design of the Multec port fuel injectors eliminates the need of ever having to use an injector cleaner. By design, the fuel metering portions of the injector are not directly exposed to the intake manifold gases that are responsible for the build-up of deposits that can cause injectors to clog.

Some of these cleaners may contain high percentages of methanol and other solvents that cause damage to the injectors' coil wire insulation. Damaged insulation results in low resistance or shorted injectors. Also, high percentages of methanol or other solvents can increase friction at the injectors' critical bearing surfaces, resulting in premature wear.

General Motors has conducted extensive injector cleaning studies to determine effectiveness. There is no confirmed evidence that cleaning Multec port fuel injectors has resolved a vehicle driveability problem. In addition, suppliers of various injector cleaners may claim that their product can also clean intake valve deposits. General Motors laboratory tests have shown that injector cleaners have little or no effect on intake valve deposits.

General Motors maintains the position that Multec port fuel injectors should not be cleaned.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:24 PM
gbody5
Pro

Chances are you do, how many miles? If over 50K I would change them anyway.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:28 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by BamaVette87
I just put some injector cleaner in my tank during a fillup today, and then tonight I ran across this GM Service Bulletin! Now I need to know how to tell if I have Multec Injectors! (With my luck I probably do!)

Subject: MULTEC FUEL INJECTORS/CLEANING INFORMATION
Model and Year:
1986-90 CELEBRITY
1986-91 CAMARO, CAVALIER, CORVETTE
1987-91 CORSICA, BERETTA
1990-91 LUMINA, STORM
Source: Chevrolet Service Bulletin
Bulletin Number: 91-312-6E - (05/15/1991)

THIS BULLETIN CANCELS AND SUPERSEDES DEALER SERVICE BULLETIN NO. 91-280-6E, DATED APRIL 1991. THE STORM HAS BEEN ADDED. ALL COPIES OF 91-280-6E SHOULD BE DISCARDED.

This bulletin has been written to inform technicians of possible damage to Multec port fuel injectors as a result of cleaning.

The ball and seat design of the Multec port fuel injectors eliminates the need of ever having to use an injector cleaner. By design, the fuel metering portions of the injector are not directly exposed to the intake manifold gases that are responsible for the build-up of deposits that can cause injectors to clog.

Some of these cleaners may contain high percentages of methanol and other solvents that cause damage to the injectors' coil wire insulation. Damaged insulation results in low resistance or shorted injectors. Also, high percentages of methanol or other solvents can increase friction at the injectors' critical bearing surfaces, resulting in premature wear.

General Motors has conducted extensive injector cleaning studies to determine effectiveness. There is no confirmed evidence that cleaning Multec port fuel injectors has resolved a vehicle driveability problem. In addition, suppliers of various injector cleaners may claim that their product can also clean intake valve deposits. General Motors laboratory tests have shown that injector cleaners have little or no effect on intake valve deposits.

General Motors maintains the position that Multec port fuel injectors should not be cleaned.
Analysis to paralysis: A bottle of injector cleaner is not going to do any harm, and maybe a little good.

Get notified of new replies

To Do any of you use 'fuel injector cleaner'

Quick Reply: Do any of you use 'fuel injector cleaner'