C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1991 L98 (383ci, Supercharged) Computer...need help picking tuning software!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 11:46 AM
krivera
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1991 L98 (383ci, Supercharged) Computer...need help picking tuning software!

Tuners...how you guys doing! I am getting my motor back really soon and before when running my stock 350 i would have Ed Wright (fast chips) do my chips but after talking to my friend Tim (forum TIMMY) he said it is not that hard to tune just get the software and the hardware and burn my own EP-Rom? Well if you guys could help me get the right Hardware, and Software that would be great and get started on tuning! Thanks KEvin
Old 04-15-2003, 01:10 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: 1991 L98 (383ci, Supercharged) Computer...need help picking tuning software! (krivera)

Kevin, you will need to get TunerCat software. You can download it at this address:
http://www.tunercat.com

Also you will need to purchase a $8D ECM definition file so that you can edit the tables within your eprom. The next thing you need to purchase in order to do this is an prom programmer and an uv eraser, however you can go around the eraser by using an EEPROM replacement for your prom. The GM prom that is in your car now is UV erasable, meaning you have to expose the prom to UV light in order to erase it.

Prom programmers can be purchased at this link:
http://www.xtronics.com

I use a Pocket Programmer 2 which works great for all intents and purposes. For you car you should use a Atmel AT29C256 flash EEPROM and you will need a prom adapter to use this prom. These parts can be ordered from Craig Moates at:
http://www.moates.net/

The way it works, you still have to use the original prom with the moates adapter. The ECM still neends the memcal plugged into the adapter in order for it to run. The GM Prom contains a resistor pak that gives the ECM its basic running parameters and also its "LIMP HOME MODE" parameters in case of system failure. Your new prom plugs into this adapter as well.

TunerCat is free for the first 30 days after that you have to register and pay for it, cost is $70 and for each ECM definition file is $20. Plus TC has great customer support, you have a problem you send TC a email and he responds within a couple hours normally.

Need to know more? Just ask, there are lots of guys here that can help, also there is a TunerCat forum where questions can be asked and there too are many with lots of experience. One final bit of advice, make small changes and test. And seeing how you have a new engine that is supercharged no less, be careful. Go to the Tunercat website, sign up on the forum and ask lots of questions. Ask to see if someone there has a bin file for your application that is working and running well. Most people will share their work.

Now get your software and hardware and start tuning that new engine!
Old 04-15-2003, 01:32 PM
krivera
Drifting

Default Re: 1991 L98 (tjwong)

Thomas AKA TJwong...Man thanks alot for the help so what do you recommend if any...a device to ready my progress like a dynacom or anything like that???

Also i am going to TC to get some more info on the forum and get the parts...what do you think i should buy first???? that hardware...or software???

And let me get this straight on the links...
Software websites http://www.tunercat.com

Hardware: http://www.moates.net/ http://www.xtronics.com

Trouble shooting software:

N/A...or Dynacom or some other???

Thanks again KEVIN :D

P.S. Just really scared to blow a brand new motor up!
Old 04-15-2003, 03:59 PM
Corvette86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: 1991 L98 (383ci, Supercharged) Computer...need help picking tuning software! (krivera)

Be careful here! A SC 383 will require lots of TLC while tuning out the A/F and Timing. Take it from someone who lost an engine and it happened so quick I didn't know what was happening!!!! My second 383 was tuned while on a chasis dyno. I purchased a romulator from xtronics and changed everything on the fly until the car and the dyno indicators gave me a clean bill of health!!!!!! It's worth paying someone to tune your car while you watch unless you spring for a wideband A/F with everything listed in the previous post. 383's are bad for detonation while supercharging. Install an intercooler and H20/Alch injection actuated with a hobbs switch tuned in when the supercharger is starting to boost.

Good Luck,

Frank :flag
Old 04-15-2003, 05:05 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 1991 L98 (krivera)

Kevin,

You can go to this website:
http://www.ttspowersystems.com

There you can download Datamaster for your model year system. You can make 20 datalogging sessions before having to pay for it. Cost is about $95. Diacom from Rinda Technologies is a good scan tool, I have it as well but my problem with it is that it doesn't work on pentium class PC's. That is unless they fixed that problem. I haven't used it in some time as now I use either a GM TECH2 or Datamaster for my main scan tools. If Rinda would ever fix that clocking problem then I would use it again.

You should get the Tuner cat software and buy the ecm definition file so you can see what you are getting into. Here is another link where you can download GM BIN files for your ECM:
http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/

Go there and click on the GMECM FTP site link. There is also a lot of information there as well. There is also a lot of information there as well. As Corvette86 stated, its very critical to be careful in tuning a supercharged application. Just as in the later model flash memory PCMs a few simple key strokes can cause irrepairable damge to the drive train, and I can't emphasize enough on that.

Another option for you in your blower application is to swap out your ECM for a GM 1227749 ECM. This ECM was used in the turbcharged V6 Syclone and Typhoon S10 Blazers, it was also used in the turbo 2.0L Pontiac Sunbirds. This ECM has the ability to use a 2 bar MAP sensor and will minor re-pinning of your PCM connections it would work great. When I say minor it means that you have a 1227727 or 1227730 ECM now in your car. If you have a different ECM it will be a lot more work but I beleive you have either a 727 or 730 ECM. It has been done many times for supercharged F bodies with great results. This ECM is taylor made for blown applications.

Old 04-15-2003, 09:54 PM
drive it
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Only problem with the 749ecm is the bin doesn't have code in it for egr, air divert valves, etc etc....all needed to pass smog-and I believe that Denver still has to deal with those problems?
Big ditto to the above on a wideband! It is possible to tune sc with prom, maf and fmu-but I'd consider a wideband a must.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:28 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 1991 L98 (drive it)

Yes, you are correct that the 749 does not have provisions for the air control and canister purge controls it does however have the EGR control. But if he does have to go through Denver emissions all of the devices will be connected but would be inoperative. This ecm I don't beleive would be scanned as they would for OBD2 standards. And if that is the case how would they know if it passes the actual emissions test? nd even if they scan it, the scan tool is just going to tell them that there are no codes stored. It isn't going to tell them that a diagnostic was deleted as with an OBD2 car.

I am not implying that anyone should break the law but going into your prom and reprograming it is in a bit of a grey area any way, correct?

I am just saying that it can be done with this ECM and it would control a supercharged engine much better than the 1227730 ECM that he has now in the car. Especially since it was designed from the ground up for boost applications. Here in Oregon, the same model year car would just have to pass the emission test and possibly a treadmill test. Otherwise if all of the devices are connected they don't check to see if they are operable or not. It just has to be physically in place.

As for the diverter valve one could go back to a vacuum controlled divert as in the olden days or use a vacuum sensitive switch, for the canister purge on could rig up someting that is RPM or vacumm switched as well to fire the solenoid.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:32 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Didn't realize it does have egr code...for the rest it all depends.....
I've found that the cat really does need the air divert working to pass tailpipe; it may be OK with a stock engine/cam but with mods it can get pretty borderline. For making it work other than by ecm-good ideas! But again, it would depend on what he has to deal with.....hopefully nothing near what Ca. has gone to!
Here they even press check the tank...so if you "delete" the canister-make sure it's plugged...
And for all the folk in those no smog check states...I'm jealous! :yesnod:
Old 04-16-2003, 12:25 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 1991 L98 (drive it)

Here is another idea for making the canister purge or AIR diverter work using the 749 ECM. The 749 does have a provision for waste gate control on the 4.3L turbo. I controls the boost pressure by opening the wastegate at a given boost pressure (MAP) and enabled by vehicle speed.

Seeing how that output would not be used in this supercharger application you could use it for the canister purge system and program in the opening points based on RPM vs TPS. Its just an idea that there is one available output that can be programmed. If it works then only one other device needs to be addressed and it would not be hard to do. So it is a very possible project and to have GM Factory ECM control with boost capabilities, life and tuning would be much easier. :cheers:
Old 04-16-2003, 02:59 PM
krivera
Drifting

DAMN!!!!!!!!!! you guys rock! So i know this should be posted in the Tuning section but what about a DFI Gen VII ????
Old 04-16-2003, 03:01 PM
krivera
Drifting

DAMN!!!!!!!!!! you guys rock! So i know this should be posted in the Tuning section but what about a DFI Gen VII ????
:withstupid: i really need to stop thinking about my car i am losing sleep!
Old 04-17-2003, 01:28 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

DFI Gen 7? Hmm great system but..........very expensive grasshopper :U Besides why use it when we have a GM ECM with millions of dollars worth of R&D for developement that works well and is well suitable for the job. Plus look at the cost differential, a replacement 749 ECM from GM Parts: $95 Exchange, a DFI ECM BIG BUCKS!!!

[Modified by tjwong, 6:30 AM 4/17/2003]
Old 04-17-2003, 10:11 AM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option for you in your blower application is to swap out your ECM for a GM 1227749 ECM. This ECM was used in the turbcharged V6 Syclone and Typhoon S10 Blazers, it was also used in the turbo 2.0L Pontiac Sunbirds.
It wasn't used in any s10 or blazers. Only Sy, Ty, Turbo sunbirds and some of the quad 4's.

Yes, you are correct that the 749 does not have provisions for the air control and canister purge controls it does however have the EGR control.

As for the diverter valve one could go back to a vacuum controlled divert as in the olden days or use a vacuum sensitive switch, for the canister purge on could rig up someting that is RPM or vacumm switched as well to fire the solenoid.
The 749 has a bunch code for shift lights in 1 through 5 gears (you may be able to use some of those tables for some of the emission control). The only problem with using the boost solenoid and its duty cycle is that it doesn't start it duty cycle until it starts reading boost so you mayt need to edit some of the source code.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:05 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 1991 L98 (dgoodhue)

Dave thats also a good idea, so with some ingenuity anything is possible! And what I meant about the S10 blazer was that the Syclones and Typhoons were built on the S10 body and frame line up. :cheers:
Old 04-17-2003, 02:52 PM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

And what I meant about the S10 blazer was that the Syclones and Typhoons were built on the S10 body and frame line up. :cheers:
Ahh I understand, techincally it is a S15 Sonoma and Jimmy's (as those are GMC's version of the s10/blazer)
Old 04-17-2003, 09:19 PM
Cooter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use the 749! I ran one with my 3.4 v6 and it worked great. Doesn't the throttle body have a ported vac? Use it to open the charcoal cannister purge valve. As far as the air diverter- the Sy/Ty uses an ECM controlled air charge cooler pump. Run the charge air temp sensor off the ecm's coolant sensor and set the temps for the charge cooler to match the open/closed loop temps and wire the diverter solenoid to that output on the ecm. . . or something like that :)

[Modified by Cooter, 8:20 PM 4/17/2003]
Old 04-18-2003, 10:59 AM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Default Re: 1991 L98 (Cooter)

As far as the air diverter- the Sy/Ty uses an ECM controlled air charge cooler pump. Run the charge air temp sensor off the ecm's coolant sensor and set the temps for the charge cooler to match the open/closed loop temps and wire the diverter solenoid to that output on the ecm. . . or something like that :)
The only problem with using the CAC pump to run the air diverter is that output is intended to run the electric fan motor (as used on the Turbo sunbirds and quad 4's) The SyTy use a mechincal fan so this is not a problem. You would need to remove the Corvette fans from ECM control, maybe something like the 85-89 Aux fans are temp controlled if the LT1 have an additional bung in the cylinder head.

The TB vacuum port is what the SyTy connect to the charcol canister, I don't know what the LT1 uses for EGR (or if Lt1 TB have this port) but the EGR vacuum uses this port on my L98.

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 L98 (383ci, Supercharged) Computer...need help picking tuning software!

Quick Reply: 1991 L98 (383ci, Supercharged) Computer...need help picking tuning software!