C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cannot connect with OBD-I car interface

Old 08-15-2014, 03:41 AM
K87ZZ4
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cannot connect with OBD-I car interface

I have an 87 and I'm using an old setup with a laptop running XP and and AKM cable interface to a Belkin serial->USB converter, which used to work a couple of years ago, but it's not now. I reinstalled the Belkin F5U103 driver and it shows up under port COM7, but it won't read from Digimoto Lite or ScanMaster software I'm using. Again, this used to work in the past. I've spent a couple hours trying to get it working and I'm wondering if I just need to tweak one little thing that I'm missing or just take a different approach, entirely.

Thoughts?

I'm just interested in diagnosing problems, for the most part. At the moment, I'd like to check BLM and O2 counts to try to figure out a rich exhaust condition.

Thanks!

Last edited by K87ZZ4; 08-16-2014 at 02:49 AM. Reason: correct cable interface
Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 AM
K87ZZ4
Pro

I found posts about going with a bluetooth adapter, and I could use ALDLdroid software, but it looks like that will come to an another cool $100 (and however long it takes to ship the bluetooth adapter).

It's just so frustrating to have a solution that once worked and now doesn't! But, at some point it's not worth chasing my tail anymore.The lights on the Belkin adapter/converter seem to indicate it's working fine. Is there any way to quickly confirm I'm getting data to the COM port?
Old 08-16-2014, 09:00 AM
fl_799
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe try setting the device to lower com port like Com 1 or Com 2 and then mess around with the Com port settings? Reboot and then go from there.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:52 PM
K87ZZ4
Pro

Originally Posted by fl_799
Maybe try setting the device to lower com port like Com 1 or Com 2 and then mess around with the Com port settings? Reboot and then go from there.
Good idea! I wondered about which COM port it was using, too, because I remember it used to be COM 4. But, when I re-installed the serial driver, it auto-magically came up as COM 7 (5 and 6 are already in use).

I hadn't seen how I could change the port, but after poking around, under Properties for the Belkin Serial Port, I found a Port Settings tab and an Advanced button, where I could change the port (it shows COM 3, 4, 5 and 6 in use).

I tried COM 2 and COM 4, but no luck

The settings are the default: 9600/8/None/1/None

BTW, kudos to a post I found that reminded me where to find port settings on XP (My Computer > System Info > Hardware > Device Manager). That's the kind of thing you forget when you work on different OS's for years!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:04 AM
bill3730
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowerworks

Originally Posted by k87zz4
i have an 87 and i'm using an old setup with a laptop running xp and and akm cable interface to a belkin serial->usb converter, which used to work a couple of years ago, but it's not now. I reinstalled the belkin f5u103 driver and it shows up under port com7, but it won't read from digimoto lite or scanmaster software i'm using. Again, this used to work in the past. I've spent a couple hours trying to get it working and i'm wondering if i just need to tweak one little thing that i'm missing or just take a different approach, entirely.

Thoughts?

I'm just interested in diagnosing problems, for the most part. At the moment, i'd like to check blm and o2 counts to try to figure out a rich exhaust condition.

Thanks!
the best thing you will ever do is talk to blowerworks. They sell mass airflow system and sell a tuning system for your ob 1 best mod i ever did to my 87. Look them up on line

Get notified of new replies

To Cannot connect with OBD-I car interface

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cannot connect with OBD-I car interface