C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bought bad EPROM

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:01 PM
neelas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought bad EPROM

I have a modified l98 and bought a level 3 prom TPIS and the car will hardly even run put the old chip in from my old modified setup and the car runs fine. But the car has 30lb injectors now not 24, and a much bigger cam and heads. So I'm going to give TPIS a chance to make the chip right, but if the new chip is just as bad as the old who is a good eprom tuner-maker burner???
Old 06-29-2014, 10:13 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

If you are willing, you are the best tuner for your car. A cable, a program and a chip burner and some chips can be bought for a couple hundred bucks. A laptop is needed but I would think you have one to datalog with.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:02 AM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm looking for a good tuner also....few and far between and I'll never have the free time to learn and read and understand all the info.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:00 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by neelas
I have a modified l98 and bought a level 3 prom TPIS and the car will hardly even run put the old chip in from my old modified setup and the car runs fine. But the car has 30lb injectors now not 24, and a much bigger cam and heads. So I'm going to give TPIS a chance to make the chip right, but if the new chip is just as bad as the old who is a good eprom tuner-maker burner???
That was the biggest waste of money. TPiS chips are never going to be accurate. TPiS tunes their engines that they build, and makes small changes to the tune depending on the mods that you have. But no 2 engines run the same, and if they don't have a part on their engine that you do, then they're just guessing. Get a mail order tune or a dyno tune, or learn to tune yourself.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
That was the biggest waste of money. TPiS chips are never going to be accurate. TPiS tunes their engines that they build, and makes small changes to the tune depending on the mods that you have. But no 2 engines run the same, and if they don't have a part on their engine that you do, then they're just guessing. Get a mail order tune or a dyno tune, or learn to tune yourself.
Getting a mail order tune is no different than going to TPiS. Learn to tune yourself. If you have a 165 ECM it's not that hard and there are plenty of guys on this forum that can help.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Learning to tune yourself takes time and some people don't have time. Trust me I would love to know how to and spend the time to tweak the car but it's just not an option for me at this point in my life.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:16 PM
htrdbmr
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I too paid TPIS for a tune. To their credit they tried 6 times to get it right, but I finally gave up on them. I have since bought the equipment to do it myself. There's a ton of info out there.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:56 PM
Z51breeder
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Custom Chips, those guys are awesome! Very high rating I have heard and their Custom Tunes are only like $65

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Custo...49489875293854
Old 10-11-2014, 02:05 AM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Contact Ed Wright at FASTCHIPS ... http://www.fastchip.com/ ... he is the best when it comes to tunes.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:16 AM
Wheel Stander
Racer

The EPROMs used in the 92 / 93 LT1s are a totally different animal. The chip needs to be removed from the ECM and erased using ultra-violet lighting, then the EPROM needs to be re-programmed with the new data applicable to your motor. This cannot be done by simply connecting a laptop to your car's computer. You will need to know ALL of the specs and be precise when you re-program the EPROM if you want top-level performance. I've been done this road and can tell you from first hand experience that "off-the-shelf" chips are a waste of money when tuning 92 / 93 LT1s. If you want the job done correctly, I recommend you contact www.fastchip.com.

Last edited by Wheel Stander; 10-11-2014 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:19 PM
htrdbmr
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Stander
The EPROMs used in the 92 / 93 LT1s are a totally different animal. The chip needs to be removed from the ECM and erased using ultra-violet lighting, then the EPROM needs to be re-programmed with the new data applicable to your motor. This cannot be done by simply connecting a laptop to your car's computer. You will need to know ALL of the specs and be precise when you re-program the EPROM if you want top-level performance. I've been done this road and can tell you from first hand experience that "off-the-shelf" chips are a waste of money when tuning 92 / 93 LT1s. If you want the job done correctly, I recommend you contact www.fastchip.com.
When you buy a TPIS tune, the chip is an EEPROM, mounted on a Moates adapter. Erasing the chip, and loading a new tune is a 2 minute process. Knowing how to create the new tune takes a little longer.....
Old 10-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Originally Posted by htrdbmr
When you buy a TPIS tune, the chip is an EEPROM, mounted on a Moates adapter. Erasing the chip, and loading a new tune is a 2 minute process. Knowing how to create the new tune takes a little longer.....
I bet I paid less for my mail tune from Ed Wright than what TPIS charges for its EEPROM, and Ed's tune has been absolutely flawless. But hey, it's your money and your time. I'm sticking with Ed.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought bad EPROM

Quick Reply: Bought bad EPROM