C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ECM tuning on 91' L98....advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Flo2323
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM tuning on 91' L98....advice please!

Hey guys anybody that has experienced a tuned L98..any advice would greatly appreciate it
Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 PM
trackbird
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been working on tuning my '91 now. Not sure I'm much help, but what questions did you have?
Old 06-19-2014, 12:30 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The first question to ask is: what modifications did you make that makes a change in the tune necessary?
Old 06-19-2014, 12:41 AM
Flo2323
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The first question to ask is: what modifications did you make that makes a change in the tune necessary?
Rite now my c4 is all stock but im just trying to get informed on tuning,etc want to mod my vette real soon not to the extreme though....just want to get informed as much possible to prevent wasting money on a mod that will br useless
Old 06-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Flo2323
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Flo2323
Rite now my c4 is all stock but im just trying to get informed on tuning,etc want to mod my vette real soon not to the extreme though....just want to get informed as much possible to prevent wasting money on a mod that will br useless
Will tuning increase hp??..is it worth $$ spending for a tune??
Old 06-20-2014, 08:56 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Hey guys anybody that has experienced a tuned L98..any advice would greatly appreciate it
Well i like to think my '90 L98 C4 6-speed runs good. I have only had it just over a year, but started doing chips on it shortly after i got it. I have alot of experience tuning my MAF L98 in my IROC, and always wanted to try a SD car. But that wasnt the only reason to buy a C4.....

Even if you are mostly stock, i would suggest making sure all the essentials are working perfect, BEFORE you start in the PROM. Like battery, alternator, fuel pressure, injectors, plugs, wires and filters. You really gotta have a good baseline to start with. Lots of folks "fix" external issues within the PROM, and that is wrong way to approach it.

Now here is a little story to prove my point. Last summer when i was looking at scan data, my BLMs were way rich, down near 108. I was going to hit the VE tables hard, to get things inline. Plus i was learning how to use TP with my setup, and it wasnt really working smoothly. But eventually got it running so i got decent data out of it. I was real close to changing them VE tables, when someone on these boards got me to look at my injectors. Since i have good electrical background, i checked the coil resistance, and found that i had 1 bad injector, and 3 different types! So it was recommended to get them injectors all corrected BEFORE i spent alot time fixing the tune. It was dam good advice. I put in the 24# Bosch III units, and did a few other little things while i had the fuel rail all apart. It was $$ well spent. After it was all up and running, logged some scan data, and well and behold my BLMs came right in, real close to 128. That was with the stock VE tables, and in fact now they still are stock. I was impressed with that, proving that GM got it right. Now dont get me wrong, i have messed with several other things in the PROM. There is just sooo much you can do.

My ride is mostly stock as well, just have a K&N filter, Borla cat-back and now some porting work on the TPI system. Once i get 1 more little bug worked out, will fire up the laptop and look at some data. I know i need to focus on highway mode, and maybe the shift light, just for fun.
Burning your own PROMs is a rewarding challenge, and most car guys i talk to are impressed. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Nilak (01-08-2022)
Old 06-25-2014, 07:16 AM
bigj177
Instructor

What is good software to use to burn your own promms. Also is it hard to do

Originally Posted by MikeT 90 C4sixer
Well i like to think my '90 L98 C4 6-speed runs good. I have only had it just over a year, but started doing chips on it shortly after i got it. I have alot of experience tuning my MAF L98 in my IROC, and always wanted to try a SD car. But that wasnt the only reason to buy a C4..... Even if you are mostly stock, i would suggest making sure all the essentials are working perfect, BEFORE you start in the PROM. Like battery, alternator, fuel pressure, injectors, plugs, wires and filters. You really gotta have a good baseline to start with. Lots of folks "fix" external issues within the PROM, and that is wrong way to approach it. Now here is a little story to prove my point. Last summer when i was looking at scan data, my BLMs were way rich, down near 108. I was going to hit the VE tables hard, to get things inline. Plus i was learning how to use TP with my setup, and it wasnt really working smoothly. But eventually got it running so i got decent data out of it. I was real close to changing them VE tables, when someone on these boards got me to look at my injectors. Since i have good electrical background, i checked the coil resistance, and found that i had 1 bad injector, and 3 different types! So it was recommended to get them injectors all corrected BEFORE i spent alot time fixing the tune. It was dam good advice. I put in the 24# Bosch III units, and did a few other little things while i had the fuel rail all apart. It was $$ well spent. After it was all up and running, logged some scan data, and well and behold my BLMs came right in, real close to 128. That was with the stock VE tables, and in fact now they still are stock. I was impressed with that, proving that GM got it right. Now dont get me wrong, i have messed with several other things in the PROM. There is just sooo much you can do. My ride is mostly stock as well, just have a K&N filter, Borla cat-back and now some porting work on the TPI system. Once i get 1 more little bug worked out, will fire up the laptop and look at some data. I know i need to focus on highway mode, and maybe the shift light, just for fun. Burning your own PROMs is a rewarding challenge, and most car guys i talk to are impressed. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:48 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't believe it would be worth the effort/cost on a stock car. If you change much on a speed density car, you will need a tune to benefit.

Originally Posted by bigj177
Technically speaking, it's not hard, but it does require some research and learning. You need several programs and some hardware. Datalogging software, tuning software and burning software. You need a chip burner or a chip emulator and cable. There is some good tuning advice on this forum but the third gen forum trumps all in my opinion. More info than you can read in a week.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:09 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Originally Posted by bigj177
I use TunerCat and TunerPro for editing the bins. Sometimes one program has parameters in there that the other does not. and vice-versa. I use Moates hardware (and soft) to actually burn the PROMs. For datalogging i mainly use TunerProRT. But i have used a few of the others, just keep coming back to TP.

As far as it being hard, i dont think so. But i have an electrical background, and somewhat tech savy. What I am not real good at is the mechanics of the engine, like what it needs and doesnt. So it is mostly trial an error for me.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (04-30-2023)
Old 06-25-2014, 05:12 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
I don't believe it would be worth the effort/cost on a stock car. If you change much on a speed density car, you will need a tune to benefit.

Disagree there, you can make some gains......lots of other things to change like fan turn on/off, removal of CAGS, AC stuff.....

Technically speaking, it's not hard, but it does require ...There is some good tuning advice on this forum but the third gen forum trumps all in my opinion. More info than you can read in a week.
Agree there, i started on TGO, well over 10 years ago, where i learned everything about my MAF L98 IROC-Z. Of course there is still more to learn.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I use tunercat to edit bins, and Datamaster to datalog, amd currently using the Moates burn2 for chip programming.
The ve tables are where it needs tuning for the most part, amd understanding spark advance and how it changes for different combinations.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:05 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

GM's engineers had a lot of VERY expensive equipment that they used to develop the stock tune. I have seen a C4 Corvette fitted with monitoring devices and it was absolutely amazing what they measured. For example, the exhaust temperature in multiple places all the way from the exhaust ports through the mufflers. There were a lot of really smart guys working on this, which is why you have the stuff we don't consider necessary like the heated throttle body. They were looking at some really subtle effects.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:42 PM
Joe
Racer

Default tuner !

I hooked up with Dan Thomas can be found on facebook , a top tuner !
I installed a Paxton supercharger kit made for 90-91 Corvettes , got around to doing this after having it on the shelf for 10 yrs , well was not aware the chip that came with the kit was missing , Dan got me an Ostrich for my computer and did his magic , i leave it on and he can make changes if i do !

Get notified of new replies

To ECM tuning on 91' L98....advice please!

Quick Reply: ECM tuning on 91' L98....advice please!