C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Running rough - getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 AM
dave3026
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rough - getting worse

Hi everyone - new to the forum and have spent several days trying to find the answer to my problems. I have a 92 - 6 speed with 60,000 miles. It's been running good until a couple of weeks ago. At first the LCD went out for a bit - hit a bump and went back on. The the car started to run like crap once it warmed up and hit high rpm's. The other day the dash flickered out again and the SYS indicator started to flash - now it runs very rough - misses - throughout the entire power band. The SYS light is no longer flashing though.

Any Ideas? Could it be a bad battery? Judging by most of the posts - it could be anything....

Thanks
Old 06-09-2014, 02:18 PM
LT1_383
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have a scanner? If your dash is experiencing electrical gremlins, you should still be able to scan it. If the scan is acting crazy then maybe you have an ECM issue. The CCM polls the ECM for data, so maybe if the ECM is having issues, your display might too. Maybe reseat the ECM connections? Maybe check the ground connection from the battery out to the engine, etc?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:23 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 91 did something similar with the dash blinking and stuff. I inadvertantly shorted out my alternator and didn't realize it wasn't working any more. My battery voltage got so low that the dash started flashing and the car was running like crap. I noticed the volt meter and I shut off the headlights and it was fine. I ran this thing for a week everyday with no alternator. Just throwing it out there for ya.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Sounds like a bad ground connection. The FSM (Factory Service Manual) shows where they are.

I just noticed tonight that a huge number of grounds in the dash are connected together at splice S213, which is grounded at G201 on the driver's side door hinge pillar.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:33 PM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

Default my 1995

looking to purchase a scanner and i have a new laptop and my vette runs rough and have black soot on all the new spark plugs i installed. would a scanner something i could use to maybe find the issue? and what scanner would work on my 95 vette and how much are they? and what would i have to purchase to be able to hook my laptop up to my vette to look at what its doin? thanks to all who look or help.
chris.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:17 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Throw in fresh 02 sensors. One of mine wasnt heating and its full of black soot
Old 08-28-2014, 09:13 AM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

alrighty then that makes sense...question for ya where are they located? there is one on each side right? i seen the one on passengers side but dont see the one on drivers side??
thanks chris

Originally Posted by illenema
Throw in fresh 02 sensors. One of mine wasnt heating and its full of black soot
Old 08-29-2014, 09:25 AM
LT1_383
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Chris. The sensors are just after the collector flange on the exhaust manifold. Yes, there are two sensors, one for each engine bank. The computer treats each side of the engine as a bank and adjusts the fuel separately.

As far as scanners go, there are two companies making ALDL bluetooth adapters (1320 electronics and Red Devil River). If you have an android phone, it makes scanning and datalogging real easy. You will also want to get the ALDLDroid app.

If you don't have an android phone, I would look at getting a USB cable to ALDL interface and try tunerpro rt.

Because you have a 1995 Corvette, check to see if you have an ALDL connector, or OBD2 connector. I think you could have either. Even though you have an OBD2 connector, the OBD2 devices don't work. It is still ALDL Data. Make sure you get the right connector!

Get notified of new replies

To Running rough - getting worse

Quick Reply: Running rough - getting worse