C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wanting to start tuning for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:28 PM
SpidArman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wanting to start tuning for the first time

I have a 93 man trans coupe with 111k. It is pretty stock except for a Cool Blue air filter, an MSD opti (adjustment screw cranked all the way in) and soon to be 3" B&B exhaust.

I am somewhat tech savvy. Where should I start? I have an older DroidX2 phone, an IPad2 or Win7 laptop. The more GUI based for me the better, but I can deal with text based apps as well.

What do you guys recommend to get me started down the tuning road?

Thanks,

Arman
Old 05-30-2014, 04:14 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Read the sticky at the top of this section first. At least the first post. Then come back and ask questions.

I prefer the Win7 laptop approach, but that's because I'm comfortable with it.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:22 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

This is what I use.

http://www.scotthansen.net/links.html
Old 05-31-2014, 05:40 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

For my 92 (you should be able to use the same) I used TTSdatamaster for datalogging.
Then I used Tunercat with the DA2 Def. file for modifying my data, then I burned it to an Atmel29C256 EEPROM using a Pocket Programmer 2. I then put that chip in a 28 pin ZIF socket that went into a Moates adapter. This adapter allows your NEW burned chip to take the place of the original chip that is in the MEMCAL.

Thirdgen.org has ALOT of tuning info, an almost endless sea of info, but the info is there.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:44 AM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I used a Pocket programmer 2 for 10 years, but when I upgraded my PC recently it didn't have a printer port, so I switched to the Moates Burn 2 which is way cheaper. With it I use the 27SF512 chips and the Burn2 assigns the correct hex address.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:25 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MrWillys
I used a Pocket programmer 2 for 10 years, but when I upgraded my PC recently it didn't have a printer port, so I switched to the Moates Burn 2 which is way cheaper. With it I use the 27SF512 chips and the Burn2 assigns the correct hex address.
Yeah the new stuff is making it a bit easier. (ie. Ostrich) I still have an old laptop that I keep just for that sort of thing, but I'm thinking about leaving the chip burning bs behind and just switching over to a Megasquirt. The options with them are almost limitless.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:04 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWillys
I still have my PPII. But you do need a PC with a serial port, which my old laptop still has. desktops, not so much. Otherwise, use Moates hardware. Same as what ***** just said. Software, the only real choice is TunerPro. I have tried others, but as far as scan tools, it is the best. Very powerful, user adjustable, lots of support, but a little tricky to learn. Tunercat is another option for editing the chip bins. I use both!

Last edited by MikeT 90 C4sixer; 06-01-2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Wanting to start tuning for the first time

Quick Reply: Wanting to start tuning for the first time