C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 startup lean and rich

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Went
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

Default 1989 startup lean and rich

Hi guys, just tired and not sleeping well..which makes the car more frustrating.

A couple days ago my '89 again started dying seconds after starting. The exhaust smelled like it was real lean. This happens four of five times then catches and runs, warms up normally. Today it started, the same old business except the exhaust smelled really strong of unburnt fuel. It took about five tries and it caught and idled OK and I drove away. Since today it has restarted three times normally.

I cleaned the MAF last weekend. Last I checked checked the fuel pressure regulator it was OK. New IAC, TPS voltages normal. New cap, rotor and plugs. Injector coils checked OK, but I know that doesn't always mean much. Cleaned the throttle body recently.

When I first got the car, I could break the rear tires loose right off the line and on the next shift (automatic). I purchased new tires and that doesn't happen any more. Don't know if it is a symptom of what is going on right now or that the tires are hooking up better on takeoff.

I've started saving for my first pair of hearing aids and can't funnel much money towards the Corvette right now. A few suggestions (a little direction) however would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Went; 05-21-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:24 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Start by pulling the codes and see if anything present

http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm
Old 05-21-2014, 10:17 PM
Went
Pro

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Start by pulling the codes and see if anything present

http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm
I'll get them pulled tonight. I have a list here of the codes. The car started right up after a couple seconds of cranking. Strange...
Old 05-22-2014, 01:22 AM
Went
Pro

It appears it has set a code 33 MAF sensor high.

Terry

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 startup lean and rich

Quick Reply: 1989 startup lean and rich