C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stock '88 - Hypertech Chip - Worth the cash?

Old 04-18-2014, 04:44 PM
aussie_g
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stock '88 - Hypertech Chip - Worth the cash?

I have looked into the Hypertech chip, but cant really find any worthwhile info on it.

Does anyone here have real experience with the Hypertech, or other Eproms on a stock L98?
Old 04-18-2014, 05:27 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

The general opinion on here is, you will not get your moneys worth. The stock L98 does well with the stock chip. If you want a custom tune I suggest you take some time and learn to do it your self. There are a lot of things you can tweak in the tune and it only takes a minute to burn a chip. It takes a while to learn though. Around $200 will get you a chip burner, a couple chips, an adapter and a datalog cable. If you are going to own the C4 for a while the datalog cable is a good investment. Not sure why, I just expect everyone to own a laptop. If you dont, ignore everything I said.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 PM
aussie_g
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JackDidley
The general opinion on here is, you will not get your moneys worth.
Thats pretty much what I was thinking, the only car I have ever 'chipped' was my 03 mustang, and it only made a difference with other mods that were done.

I would consider the DIY idea, but the learning curve is just to time consuming for me right now.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:46 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie_g
Thats pretty much what I was thinking, the only car I have ever 'chipped' was my 03 mustang, and it only made a difference with other mods that were done.

I would consider the DIY idea, but the learning curve is just to time consuming for me right now.
The DIY tuning is not for everybody but it is a good option if you have the time. If you mod the L98 it is well woorth doing.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:08 PM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

considering the long learning curve,a mail order tune is the best option,lot of guys here use PCMforless service.But being your l98 stock, i wouldn't consider working on the tune,you can't gain that much,without changing hard parts.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock '88 - Hypertech Chip - Worth the cash?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock '88 - Hypertech Chip - Worth the cash?