C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 plethora of issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:46 PM
jimnina
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 plethora of issues

I have a 94 with issues
I have myself a little project and I'm listing some of the items that are currently plaguing the Vette. The Doctor says he doesn't think it's terminal but that's why they call it practicing medicine.
Luckily its a car so most of the time it is easy to diagnose.
On the bright side it does start, shift, handle, a/c good and it stops!

I have ordered a 16 pin obd1 cable which should be here on Tuesday.
I thought if I could list some of the issues someone might be able help me narrow down the possibilities.

It has a miss while it is running. Hoping the datalogger will help with this. It does look like the previous owner has replaced quite a few sensors, to no avail.

None of the courtesy lights work, all blown.
No trip monitoring
No radio - Missing receiver for one thing
No traction/ride control
Map lights stay on while driving, at least they go off when I turn off the key.
Dash lamps inop
I am thinking big voltage spike of some kind

Window leak
Rear Hatch leak
Door panels coming off
Normal wear for the most part.

Sorry to ramble but thought everyone might need some light reading and be grateful they don't have this project. As my brother-in-law would say 'Looks Good From My House'
Old 04-14-2014, 06:31 PM
jimnina
Heel & Toe

Alrighty Then!
As mentioned the engine has a miss. So, I received my obd1 cable today and went and hooked it up using DataMaster data logger.
First question I have is the DTC Code Numbers. On the chart it goes from 10 - 99. There are 26 blocks that are gray ALL of the others are Green. The gray blocks seem to say all n/a. All of the green shows errors:
MALF11: MIL Lamp Fault
MALF 16: Lo-Res Fail
MALF 26: CCP Electrical Fault
MALF 46: Fuel Enable (VATS) Fail
MALF 44: Left O2 Lean
MALF 45: Left O2 Rich

Also during the recording the software kept coming up No PCM recycling
My first impression is that either the computer is bad or the wiring is hosed somewhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 04-15-2014, 02:05 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I suggest looking into the Lo-Res Fail. That is a signal from the Opti-Spark to the PCM.

Many times problems with this signal are caused by corroded connector contacts or problems with the wires.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:28 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd say something optispark related also. But with all those lights blown out I would first check the fuses.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:03 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Usually when you get a bunch of errors it means that you have the wrong data definition file.

Another cause can be a bad ground. The prime suspect is ground G104, which is either on the side of the block above the oil filter or on one of the bell housing bolts.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:32 PM
jimnina
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the responses. After looking into the settings of the data-logging program it does appear OE was the culprit for the codes. It after further review there are no DTC codes. Which is a bummer since now I'm at square 1 determining on the miss.

The fuses for the bulbs all look good, so I'm leaning towards a voltage spike? Another thing that has happened is while I am driving the A/C blower comes on. The problem with that is that the A/C is completely off?
As far as the other things not working, Traction control, ride control, radio, is it possible that with the radio receiver, part behind the passenger seat, missing it could cause any of these electrical issues?

Get notified of new replies

To 94 plethora of issues

Quick Reply: 94 plethora of issues