C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPI idle advance question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Default TPI idle advance question

I'm working on resurrecting an '87 and I have a TPI question. I disconnected the EST cable and set the advance to 6 deg, but when I plug it back in, it's still 6 deg. Also my scan tool says it's 25 deg even though it's still at 6 (idle). I assume this isn't normal? It will advance as I raise the RPM.

It's recently rebuilt with new Bosch III injectors, but it idles like crap with low vacuum. Can't find any leaks with propane.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:15 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The ignition module controls the spark until the ECM determines that the engine is running. Then the ECM puts the ignition module in bypass mode and takes over control of the advance.

Have your ignition module checked. Also look at the EST connector and the 4 wire harness coming out of the back of the distributor.

My ECM sets the advance to 20° at idle. Yours might be calibrated differently, so 25° seems reasonable.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:56 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jv9999
I'm working on resurrecting an '87 and I have a TPI question. I disconnected the EST cable and set the advance to 6 deg, but when I plug it back in, it's still 6 deg. Also my scan tool says it's 25 deg even though it's still at 6 (idle). I assume this isn't normal? It will advance as I raise the RPM.

It's recently rebuilt with new Bosch III injectors, but it idles like crap with low vacuum. Can't find any leaks with propane.
Did you reset your ECM, after you disconnected the EST bypass? When you do this, a code should be set in your ECM, and check engine lite on. Need to clear that bypass mode, so the ECM goes back to normal ignition timing.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:03 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeT 90 C4sixer
Did you reset your ECM, after you disconnected the EST bypass? When you do this, a code should be set in your ECM, and check engine lite on. Need to clear that bypass mode, so the ECM goes back to normal ignition timing.
No, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:15 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeT 90 C4sixer
Since I just timed my engine tonight, I have some insight here. I started the engine with the EST connector connected. Since the distributor had been out, I had positioned it in what I think is the optimum position (parallel to the firewall). The engine started instantly and I unplugged the EST connector. The idle immediately dropped in RPM. I checked the timing and it was about 5°, so I adjusted it to 6°. I plugged the EST connector back in and the idle did not change, so apparently the ECM remembers that it is not controlling the spark. I shut off the engine and restarted it and it idled normally.

You'll get an error code 42 by disconnecting the EST connector. You can clear it or it will go away by itself after 50 restarts without errors...
Old 03-29-2014, 10:47 AM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Since I just timed my engine tonight, I have some insight here. I plugged the EST connector back in and the idle did not change, so apparently the ECM remembers that it is not controlling the spark. I shut off the engine and restarted it and it idled normally.

You'll get an error code 42 by disconnecting the EST connector. You can clear it or it will go away by itself after 50 restarts without errors...
Interesting insight. I was going to guess the code as 42, without looking it up! 50 re-starts is alot, for a car that does not get driven much.

Get notified of new replies

To TPI idle advance question

Quick Reply: TPI idle advance question