C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Finally... Bluetooth for OBD1 and Android!

Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called him about mid day today at 920.403.0811. Got it from his RD web page. Seemed pretty sure my ECM will work the the unit, I guess we'll see. I hope you can get him.

Originally Posted by cousinit99
How did you get a hold of him? Please share. He still hasn't written me back..
Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 PM
LT1_383
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I finally bit the bullet and bought the Bluetooth module from 1320 Electronics a couple of weeks back. I can finally throw out my old XP laptop and serial cable! I don't know how it works versus the Red Devil unit, but I haven't had any trouble yet. It just has a power LED and data LED. Did you ever get things resolved with yours?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:57 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Has anybody used TORQUE PRO to monitor the ECM Bluetooth?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

Originally Posted by LT1_383
I finally bit the bullet and bought the Bluetooth module from 1320 Electronics a couple of weeks back. I can finally throw out my old XP laptop and serial cable! I don't know how it works versus the Red Devil unit, but I haven't had any trouble yet. It just has a power LED and data LED. Did you ever get things resolved with yours?
Timm sent a replacement today, he tested the unit I had and said it was malfunctioning. I will get it and let everyone know if it works. Thanks for sharing the 1320 unit is working, I may go that route if RD doesn't end of working.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:26 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

Originally Posted by solidaxel
Has anybody used TORQUE PRO to monitor the ECM Bluetooth?
I have not.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:00 PM
LT1_383
Advanced

I'm glad you have a new unit on the way. I hope it works! It's nice having this stuff for the older cars!

I tried Torque Lite last night and it didn't work on my car. I think it is only for OBD2 cars. For ALDL cars there is ALDLDroid that looks similar. I haven't bought it yet ($20) but it should work with both ALDL Bluetooth devices from what I've seen.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:55 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

Originally Posted by LT1_383
I'm glad you have a new unit on the way. I hope it works! It's nice having this stuff for the older cars!

I tried Torque Lite last night and it didn't work on my car. I think it is only for OBD2 cars. For ALDL cars there is ALDLDroid that looks similar. I haven't bought it yet ($20) but it should work with both ALDL Bluetooth devices from what I've seen.
Thanks! I agree, great to be able to see the data and log it from OBD1.

I bought ALDLDroid, downloaded it to an Android pad. I plan to keep in Vert. Since my RD unit didn't work I haven't got to see how it functions yet. I plan to try my Moates cable with it to check it out.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:42 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

Default Success!!!

Update...I received the Red Devil Bluetooth unit back today from Timm. I was able to connect to Tuner Pro RT with my laptop using Bluetooth on my second try. I didn't spend a lot of time with it but with a quick look over the data all seemed valid and connection remained for a few minutes while the car was running. AWESOME!!! Just an FYI the light on my unit now blinks red after cycling through the lights at startup, before sending back to Timm for him to repair it was blinking blue. Whatever he did worked so I give Timm a positive thumbs up for following through and getting it to work. He is tough to get a hold of, but once I did he took action.

MORE work is to be done with connecting to ALDLDroid. I was not able to connect today using my tablet. I don't think it is the Red Devil unit. It pairs up no problem and changes color when I click connect to ECU in the app. I suspect it is a adx file issue. I sent the developer an email today on it. I will report back as we get it worked out.

All in all I am excited to have the Bluetooth working with my laptop. I am also pretty confident we will get ALDLDroid figured out.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:50 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

Originally Posted by RossyHusker
Update...I received the Red Devil Bluetooth unit back today from Timm. I was able to connect to Tuner Pro RT with my laptop using Bluetooth on my second try. I didn't spend a lot of time with it but with a quick look over the data all seemed valid and connection remained for a few minutes while the car was running. AWESOME!!! Just an FYI the light on my unit now blinks red after cycling through the lights at startup, before sending back to Timm for him to repair it was blinking blue. Whatever he did worked so I give Timm a positive thumbs up for following through and getting it to work. He is tough to get a hold of, but once I did he took action.

MORE work is to be done with connecting to ALDLDroid. I was not able to connect today using my tablet. I don't think it is the Red Devil unit. It pairs up no problem and changes color when I click connect to ECU in the app. I suspect it is a adx file issue. I sent the developer an email today on it. I will report back as we get it worked out.

All in all I am excited to have the Bluetooth working with my laptop. I am also pretty confident we will get ALDLDroid figured out.
Update that ALDLDroid developer already has responded and is working with me to get it working.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:19 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

Default Success again!!!

Today the developer of ALDLDroid helped me to get the Red Devil Bluetooth unit working with my Android tablet. He recognized something in the debugging file and had to make an adjustment to the ADX to temporarily fix it. He plans to make a change to the ALDLDroid app to correct it permanently. So after many weeks of trying we have success with a 1990 L98 OBD1 using the Red Devil Bluetooth unit to a laptop using Tuner Pro RT and also to a Android tablet using ALDLDroid.

Thank you to everyone for your help and input and I will try my best to help any others that are attempting to get Bluetooth to work on your OBD1 Vette.

Cheers!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:22 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

How did you get a hold of him? Please share. He still hasn't written me back..
Any success with getting Timm?
Old 06-04-2014, 03:58 AM
cousinit99
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RossyHusker
Any success with getting Timm?
Hey, sorry. For some reason, I'm not getting emails when people respond to this thread. Anyway, no. I've been away at school for the past couple months and haven't had the time. I'm going to give Timm a call here in a day or two and see what I can accomplish. Do you mind if I reference the phone conversation you had with him a while back? Especially since it seems to be the same issue? That will probably help out matters a lot..
Old 06-04-2014, 05:11 PM
cousinit99
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, sorry. For some reason, I'm not getting emails when people respond to this thread. Anyway, no. I've been away at school for the past couple months and haven't had the time. I'm going to give Timm a call here in a day or two and see what I can accomplish. Do you mind if I reference the phone conversation you had with him a while back? Especially since it seems to be the same issue? That will probably help out matters a lot..
I just got a hold of Timm. He seems like a super-nice guy. I explained the situation about the LED blinking blue and then green with gold (connected to an 8192 baud ECM) and he said send it back and I'll fix it. So when I get home in a week or so, that's the first thing I'm going to do.

Thanks for following through with Timm and Sebastién, Rossy. Hopefully, we'll be the only two to experience these hiccups..
Old 06-05-2014, 03:55 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

Sure, no problem. It worked out for me. I hope you can get it working too.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:54 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Any updates with this? Is there a Bluetooth adapter that works correctly? I'm very interested in buying it and using it with my android device.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:09 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers
Any updates with this? Is there a Bluetooth adapter that works correctly? I'm very interested in buying it and using it with my android device.
I don't have a serial ALDL cable, but I do have a Bluetooth serial adapter. I think this would work, but I cant test it. The adapter I have works with Windows 7 x64, but I think it depends more on the bluetooth adapter you have for your PC is wanted to use it this way.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:52 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyowner
I don't have a serial ALDL cable, but I do have a Bluetooth serial adapter. I think this would work, but I cant test it. The adapter I have works with Windows 7 x64, but I think it depends more on the bluetooth adapter you have for your PC is wanted to use it this way.
I was asking for any updates regarding the thread, bluetooth and ALDL, not windows.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally... Bluetooth for OBD1 and Android!

Old 04-08-2015, 11:42 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers
I was asking for any updates regarding the thread, bluetooth and ALDL, not windows.
That is what i was talking about. The main reason serial ALDL has problems with newer version of Windows is driver support. Mobile devices don't really support serial connections.

The idea I posted and you missed is that a serial to bluetooth adapter should work with an old serial aldl cable, and connect to most desktops, and mobile devices.

The adapter I have is intended to be used with a Megasquirt. It does connect to both android decives, and Windows PCs. It has a 9 pin serial connector for the connection.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:57 PM
LT1_383
Advanced

I have the adapter from 1320 Electronics. It works great with ALDLDroid! 1990 and later cars, you have to get the right adx file to silence the CCM, otherwise the data is garbled.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:50 AM
24yrold&86conv
Instructor

So what is the best scan tool that doesn't have issues?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally... Bluetooth for OBD1 and Android!