C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 6870 ecu tuner gurus step inside...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:07 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWillys
Just go to the tunercat site and pay $20 for it.
What extra features does it include compared to the definition file that I'm using now?
Old 08-06-2014, 06:14 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

i'm jumping in here because I have a 85 and I want to know what you guys know...my engine is great, it's in the paint shop getting a fresh coat...$5,000 so now I want to learn to tune it....up to now I have thought of computers as good boat anchors so bear with me....i'm assuming I can buy a basic laptop at bestbuy....what else exactly do I need and where can I get it....i hear tunerpro, tunercat....don't know what that is but i'll learn....with some help...lot's actually.. I need the tuner for dummies version....thanks......Paul
Old 08-06-2014, 06:15 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
What extra features does it include compared to the definition file that I'm using now?
Tunercat has a superior user front end, and doesn't frustrate the hell out you. You can download it for free to look at it, but to buy a definition I think you have to register it which is around $100. If you have figured out Tunerpro just stick with it.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:35 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Tunercat has a superior user front end, and doesn't frustrate the hell out you. You can download it for free to look at it, but to buy a definition I think you have to register it which is around $100. If you have figured out Tunerpro just stick with it.
Yeah in the past I have gotten pretty decent tunes just using Tunerpro. They're not the best tunes but they are very very streetable tunes, so I think that about cuts it for me.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:40 AM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Yeah in the past I have gotten pretty decent tunes just using Tunerpro. They're not the best tunes but they are very very streetable tunes, so I think that about cuts it for me.
The program used has nothing to do with how good of a tune you get. The tuning parameters from one program to the next are the same. I use both Tuner Pro and Tuner Cat. Both are good programs. As Mr ****** said, Tuner Cat is a little more user friendly.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:18 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by playsdixie
i'm jumping in here because I have a 85 and I want to know what you guys know...my engine is great, it's in the paint shop getting a fresh coat...$5,000 so now I want to learn to tune it....up to now I have thought of computers as good boat anchors so bear with me....i'm assuming I can buy a basic laptop at bestbuy....what else exactly do I need and where can I get it....i hear tunerpro, tunercat....don't know what that is but i'll learn....with some help...lot's actually.. I need the tuner for dummies version....thanks......Paul
First, tuning an 85 is a bit of a challenge. The ECM was used for only one year and most tuners will not work on them. If you are really interested in tuning, I recommend you upgrade the ECM to a later year. If you're interested I can provide you with what that involves.

To tune your 85 you need the following at a minimum:

Laptop
$65 ALDL to USB cable (for data logging)
$85 Chip reader/burner (available from Moates or TunerCat)
$35 Chip adapter (available from Moates or TunerCat)
$15 Flash Chips
Tuning software - I use TunerCat for reading and burning chips
Data logging software - I use a Free Download version of TunerPro
$20 Vehicle Definition file for 85 Corvette

TunerCat sells a package that includes the Reader/Burner, chip adapter, flash chips, tuning software and definition file for $200.

Moates also sells a package deal.

Installing the chip adapter in an 85 ECM requires soldering. Moates provides a service to install the adapter for a reasonable fee. You have to ship the ECM to them.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:11 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Originally Posted by cumbercr
First, tuning an 85 is a bit of a challenge. The ECM was used for only one year and most tuners will not work on them. If you are really interested in tuning, I recommend you upgrade the ECM to a later year. If you're interested I can provide you with what that involves.

To tune your 85 you need the following at a minimum:

Laptop
$65 ALDL to USB cable (for data logging)
$85 Chip reader/burner (available from Moates or TunerCat)
$35 Chip adapter (available from Moates or TunerCat)
$15 Flash Chips
Tuning software - I use TunerCat for reading and burning chips
Data logging software - I use a Free Download version of TunerPro
$20 Vehicle Definition file for 85 Corvette

TunerCat sells a package that includes the Reader/Burner, chip adapter, flash chips, tuning software and definition file for $200.

Moates also sells a package deal.

Installing the chip adapter in an 85 ECM requires soldering. Moates provides a service to install the adapter for a reasonable fee. You have to ship the ECM to them.
Craig,
Do you know if the male plugs to the ecm are the same 85 to 86?

I've used this to convert a couple cars from mass air to speed density.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=RHCA-001&Tp=

http://scotthansen.net/images/converttpi.jpg

Last edited by MrWillys; 08-08-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:24 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

what year ecm should I use???.. does it matter that my present chip has been modded already from the tune I got when I did the engine?...

these pkges from tunercat or moates....they include everything I need but the laptop?.... the guy from australia was talking about a moates ostrich 2.0...had some advantage about burning the chips....sorry about the ignorant questions...I learn quickly...i'm assuming I could get a spare ecm and send it to them....would a different year fit where mine is?....pita to get to under the dash....
Old 08-08-2014, 04:36 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Look here:

http://www.moates.net/gm-19851995-c-64.html

I personally think speed density is easier.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:43 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Craig,
Do you know if the male plugs to the ecm are the same 85 to 86?

I've used this to convert a couple cars from mass air to speed density.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=RHCA-001&Tp=

http://scotthansen.net/images/converttpi.jpg
If you mean the harness connectors, they use the same connector. There are some minor changes to the wiring pinouts. A Lisle terminal tool easily removes the pins from the connector. I purchased new pins where needed and they just push into place. And of course the 86-89 ECM did away with the burn-off module and used 2 burn-off relays. I did the conversion in a day.

Last edited by cumbercr; 08-08-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:59 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by playsdixie
what year ecm should I use???.. does it matter that my present chip has been modded already from the tune I got when I did the engine?...

these pkges from tunercat or moates....they include everything I need but the laptop?.... the guy from australia was talking about a moates ostrich 2.0...had some advantage about burning the chips....sorry about the ignorant questions...I learn quickly...i'm assuming I could get a spare ecm and send it to them....would a different year fit where mine is?....pita to get to under the dash....
The Ostrich 2.0 allows you to change the tune with the engine running. They call it real-time emulation.

The TunerCat package has the bare minimum to read and burn chips. With it you will need software for data logging. But that software can be downloaded for free. The basic package requires you remove the chip from the ECM each time you make a change. That can be a real pain. I invested in a ribbon cable and a ZIF socket from Moates. It allows me to mount the chip away from the ECM and the ZIF is a quick release to remove the chip.

An 86-89 ECM is a direct fit for the 85 ECM. Only minor wiring changes are needed and a couple relays. The 86-89 eliminates the need to solder an adapter in. Again, I have documented instructions on how to do the ECM upgrade. Once you've tried to tune an 85 you will appreciate how much better the 86-89 is.

Mr ****** tried to get me to go Speed Density. I just wasn't sure I had the info needed to make the change. But I have to say it would be nice to ditch the MAF.

Quick Reply: 1985 6870 ecu tuner gurus step inside...