C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any Tunerpro Rt Gurus out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 PM
90C4sRule
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any Tunerpro Rt Gurus out there?

Hi Guys this newbie would really apreciate some guidance here

I have a 1990 Vette with a 1227730 ECM (5.7 6sp Man.) SD, The Memcal has ARFP on it

Using: Tunerpro RT v.5, Ostrich II, Burn 2, ALDU1

I got the ALDU1 last night and tried to scan today but DA would flash blue:connected then red:error. Then would not connect at all.

Any idea what is going on? Or a forum and post I can look for

"Cable not found or not functioning (tested at 8192 baud)"

I have loaded arfp8D_MS.bin. | 8D.xdf | A115.adx.

I went into Tools \ Preferences and tried switching the com ports but that did not work.

I tried searching diffrent forms but have not came up with a helpful post. If you can guide me to a post that would be great

I need a Prom Tuning for the Complete IDIOT post.

I was planning on taking it slow but I can't even get started
Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What Comm port is allocated on your laptop?
TP needs to be set to that port

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1561133116-post17.html

Are you using a USB to serial adapter?
Have you installed the drivers on your laptop for that adapter?

Last edited by vetteoz; 02-24-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I am a novice too but I have a 90 and have gone threw some of what you are seeing.

The ALDL cable I have is the USB type. I found it had compatibility problems with some of the tuner software out there. I was able to get it to work with Data Master even though it complains about the others. The trick, at least for me, was to install the right USB driver for it. Of course you are going to ask me where I found the driver and I cannot find that linky right now. But the USB driver was on the manufacturer's web site for the folks that made the electronics inside the little USB cable. After I updated the driver it began collecting data - at least with Data Master.

Now as far as flashing the Ostrich, that was never a problem. Both the new versions of Tuner Pro and TunerProRT immediately see the Ostrich when I connect the cable from the USB of the laptop to the Ostrich, and bring up the software. You do not even need to turn on the car - the ECM always has power going to it and so you can flash the Ostrich even with the car off.

Hope this helps you a little. Wish I knew more. To me, it seems like a bit of black magic.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
90C4sRule
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Last night I tried and tested the three COMs that show up in the dialog box under TOOLS\PREFERENCE\Data Aqu./Emulation\Configure Plug-in Component and when I tested them It would say "Cable not found or not functioning (tested at 8192 baud)" This morning I tried and it replied "Cable found and functioning"! Maybe I needed to get out of the program or reboot the computer for changes to take effect. (or the computer gods showed me a little mercy) any way I will try again today. I am not ready to give up on Tunerpro yet. BTW the drivers loaded as I intalled the USB cables from the Ostrich II, Burn 2, and the ALDU1-Extreme 2 USB Converter to my computer so I am pretty sure the correct drivers are loaded.

Thank you for the replies I'll let you know the results latter today.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Sandpiper59
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave up on TunerPro on my 90. Would pass cable test everytime as long as not in the ALDL at the time. Plugged into the ALDL, fails. Also when plugged into the ALDL my mouse pad goes nuts, just even touch it and pointer flies all over screen and right clicks everything.

Exact same cord/adapter and exact same port configuration and I have Datamaster working perfectly.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 PM
90C4sRule
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sounding good.
I had the same problems today when I finally got the ALDL cable to connect to TunerPro. This sucks. I'm afraid I don't have the programing knowledge or capabilities to fix the problem. But you would think somebody must have figured it out by now.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Mangus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you guys know of any 90 Vette owners local to the Seattle area who would be willing to spend an hour or two with me, I'm more than willing to get this working for you.

90 Vettes with digital dashes are a long standing problem for you guys, it seems. No one out there has figured out how to create a definition that does what it needs to do (it's not necessarily a simple task, but for someone with a little knowledge of GM's ALDL scheme, it's not necessarily difficult either).

If you guys can hunt someone down to help me test, let me know.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Sandpiper59
Racer

I'm far from an expert user of the logging software but have no issues around computers and ports. All I've learned is there is a big issue with 90 and 91's only. It took a number of 'adjustments' to get Datamaster to work right (and it now does) that I found in the Datamaster help file specific to 90-91 and the same settings don't exist in TunerPro..
Old 02-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Mangus
Intermediate

This is a definition issue, not so much a computer/port settings issue (beyond selecting the proper COM port).

90/91 Vettes (8D mask, 7730/7727 computer) with digital dashes output extra info on the ALDL line, as the dash and ECM communicate with each other.

As a result, the definition needs to be set up to proper listen for the chatter on the line, silence it, and request the engine data (and, potentially - this is what I would need to confirm locally - forward the data to the dash module).

I'd like to get this working once and for all.

This shouldn't be an issue for non-digital dash vehicles.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Sandpiper59
Racer

The issue is actually with the CCM which is specific to these 2 years.
Anyway, in Datamaster, set com port latency to 1 (on Windows itself). Within the config for Datamaster, select disable dash updating and follow their directs for 90/91 where "link timing" is normally set to 0 and they suggest a range between 190 and 205. They say to go only 1 number at a time, they're right.. Mine settle down 100% at 194 and will record error free endlessly.

Only down side to Datamaster is the cost once you burn off the 20 free record sessions.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 PM
AZ86Vette
Instructor

Not sure if there is much difference in getting tuner pro to connect to 1986 and 1990... but my trick was to connect the aldl unit and when it flashed DA, turn off your car, and turn it back on while connected with it flashing DA and it should finally connect... also try TTS Datamasters... once you config it correctly it works great...

-Kris
Old 02-24-2011, 01:25 AM
90C4sRule
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Mangus,

I sent you an e-mail, I live in Wenatchee about 2.5 miles away. Let me know if you would like my phone #. I'm not a guru but I'm up for learning. Sorry up past my Bed time. That is 2.5 hours from Seattle.

Last edited by 90C4sRule; 02-24-2011 at 01:30 AM. Reason: wrong mileage
Old 02-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Mangus
Intermediate

If you happen to head this way at some point in your Vette, let me know and I'll link up with you. Likewise, if I find myself headed your way, I'll ping you.

Thanks!

-M

Originally Posted by 90C4sRule
Hey Mangus,

I sent you an e-mail, I live in Wenatchee about 2.5 miles away. Let me know if you would like my phone #. I'm not a guru but I'm up for learning. Sorry up past my Bed time. That is 2.5 hours from Seattle.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:57 AM
Mangus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sandpiper59
The issue is actually with the CCM which is specific to these 2 years.
Correct; CCM == Chassis Control Module, and is what formats and creates the messages for the dashboad. It is what's connected to the ALDL line.

Once a silent line is detected, the scanner (TunerPro) needs to send an input message (F4 56 00 + CS) and listen for the echoed reply. Then silence must be sent to tell all other modules (in this case, the CCM) to stay quiet so that the scanner can communicate with the ECM. The scanner can optionally update the other modules on the line, or not (in which case the dash may not update).
Old 05-24-2011, 04:34 PM
kipi79
Heel & Toe

Do you guys have better knowledge whether 90 and 91 corvettes are identical with that whole CCM issue?

Would it be helpful if someone could get portmon log out of 90 or 91 vette from datamaster record session?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Mangus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kipi79
Do you guys have better knowledge whether 90 and 91 corvettes are identical with that whole CCM issue?

Would it be helpful if someone could get portmon log out of 90 or 91 vette from datamaster record session?
Yes, 90/91 w/ Digital Dash have the same problem. Yes, a capture would be quite helpful.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:42 PM
DBall
Instructor

I also had similar trouble using Tuner pro RT. I think it is due to the CCM issues. Went to Datamaster 4 years ago and never looked back . Great datalogging and in parallel with my Zeitronix wide band O2, on the pax side collector (new welded bung) I can correlate time stamps for the wide band reading in relation to the dalalog from datamaster. Good Luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Tunerpro Rt Gurus out there?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

With my 89, I always...

1) plug in ALDL first (to PC and car)
2) launch TunerPro RT
3) Turn key to "on" position
4) Connect to ALDL inside TunerPro

Failure to do any of this (in sequence) keeps it from working.

(This is, of course, after setting up capture file and COM port).
Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM
kipi79
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
With my 89, I always...

1) plug in ALDL first (to PC and car)
2) launch TunerPro RT
3) Turn key to "on" position
4) Connect to ALDL inside TunerPro

Failure to do any of this (in sequence) keeps it from working.

(This is, of course, after setting up capture file and COM port).
Doesn't the 89 still have the older "full digital" cluster display? If it has then it has no CCM and no problems caused by CCM...
Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by kipi79
Doesn't the 89 still have the older "full digital" cluster display? If it has then it has no CCM and no problems caused by CCM...
Yes. What's the CCM and it's purpose?

Quick Reply: Any Tunerpro Rt Gurus out there?