Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Scan & Tune
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Scan & Tune
Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 02-28-2002, 02:04 AM   #1
drive it
CF Senior Member

Default stand alone control for a 4l60e?

After going through the PIA of changing wgts and springs on my 700r4 (see c4 tech for my post on it!) -when this tranny blows I'm really considering an "E" tranny; but I don't want to change my ecm and harness etc etc.... so I was wondering if anyone knows of a stand alone control module to run it that is still programmable?
Or-does the "E" require specific inputs from tps etc...thinking... could I throw a pcm in there-flash what I want it to shift at and then splice in the required inputs from my existing tps etc????? Let it "set" codes for all else-don't care-but would it still run the tranny correctly? Anyone done it? It sure would beat yankin' that &*^%$*&# gov. too many times!
drive it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 09:08 AM   #2
A
CF Senior Member

Default Re: stand alone control for a 4l60e? (drive it)

I'm interested in the answer to this also. I hope someone has the answer. :yesnod:
A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:10 AM   #3
Smokehouse69
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Yes there are standalone controls for the 4L60e and 4L80e transmissions. TCI and others have them, check this page out http://www.tciauto.com/electronics/index.htm
Smokehouse69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 01:13 AM   #4
drive it
CF Senior Member

Default Re: stand alone control for a 4l60e? (Smokehouse69)

Quote:
Yes there are standalone controls for the 4L60e and 4L80e transmissions. TCI and others have them, check this page out http://www.tciauto.com/electronics/index.htm
Cool, thanks!
Old 03-01-2002, 01:57 PM   #5
A
CF Senior Member

How would one go about building a set of controls to manually control upshifts and downshifts? I want to find out how to make a paddle shifter for this tranny so that it would opperate as an auto unless you flipped a switch or something and could then use the new controls to select the current gear.

I don't know anything about the programming of these things yet though... Does this sound like something that could be done? :confused:
Any ideas of how to accomplish this?
A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 08:05 AM   #6
93 ragtop
CF Senior Member

In the 2001 copy of GM performance parts, page 169 they have a kit to install the E transmission in other cars. Part no. 24502513
93 ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 01:10 PM   #7
18carfan
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: stand alone control for a 4l60e? (Red 86 4+3)

Quote:
In the 2001 copy of GM performance parts, page 169 they have a kit to install the E transmission in other cars. Part no. 24502513
Actually, the 24502513 is just for controlling TC lock on a regular 4L60 or 700R4. It won't control the electronic functions of the 4L60E or 4L80E. Gm does offer a kit that does. It is P/N 12497316 but it is the TCI controller mentioned above with a GM sticker on it. -Jeff

BTW - The 12497316 is also on major backorder with GM right now so I wonder if TCI has 'em on backorder too???
18carfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 05:35 PM   #8
93 ragtop
CF Senior Member

Default Re: stand alone control for a 4l60e? (18carfan)

Quote:

Actually, the 24502513 is just for controlling TC lock on a regular 4L60 or 700R4. It won't control the electronic functions of the 4L60E or 4L80E. Gm does offer a kit that does. It is P/N 12497316 but it is the TCI controller mentioned above with a GM sticker on it. -Jeff

Im sorry, the part no. I ment to post was 12497316. Jeff will this one work on using a E transmission in a non e car?

BTW - The 12497316 is also on major backorder with GM right now so I wonder if TCI has 'em on backorder too???
93 ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 06:33 PM   #9
18carfan
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: stand alone control for a 4l60e? (Red 86 4+3)

[QUOTE]
Im sorry, the part no. I ment to post was 12497316. Jeff will this one work on using a E transmission in a non e car?
QUOTE]

Yes, exactly. It is a very user programmable unit. Comes with a cable you hook up to a PC or laptop and make changes to the parameters for upshift points, downshift points, shift harshness, etc. I have a copy of the intructions that come with it. If anybody is interested in having it faxed I could do that or maybe even scan it to e-mail or something. -Jeff
Old 03-05-2002, 09:33 PM   #10
drive it
CF Senior Member

Default Re: stand alone control for a 4l60e? (18carfan)

OK, so the stand alone will control a 4l60E, now another thought....the 4l80e is even stronger, right? Would a 4l80e fit in there?
Old 03-06-2002, 01:47 AM   #11
18carfan
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran

Quote:
Would a 4l80e fit in there?
Not easily but anything can be done with enough ingenuity and $$$. Check this thread out for some possible helpful info:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=246034

Old 03-16-2002, 01:27 AM   #12
dsagers
CF Senior Member

I have talked with http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/

Wonderful people to work with. They sell a Compushift unit to control the elec trannys. They also sold me a new cross member for a 4L80E in a 1981. It's a tight fit, but it can be done without cutting fiberglass.
dsagers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 07:26 AM   #13
drive it
CF Senior Member

Default Re: stand alone control for a 4l60e? (dsagers)

Quote:
I have talked with http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/

Wonderful people to work with. They sell a Compushift unit to control the elec trannys. They also sold me a new cross member for a 4L80E in a 1981. It's a tight fit, but it can be done without cutting fiberglass.
Bowtieoverdrives......well I think you've been lucky, or didn't you buy a tranny from them? Personally I wouldn't ever go back to them-thats based on personal experience not hearsay! They talked a good show so I had them rebuild my 700r4; and told them that a 406 was soon going in so "do everything" to upgrade it. Less than a year and under warr. and the tranny is gone! OK so they honor the warr. and rebuild it again; BUT then comes the crap....they say because I drive up and down the mtn I overheated it and so no more warranty! This is total BS-I have the Be Cool radiator with their 7 plate truck trans cooler in it and an additional B&M trans cooler in front of the rad! And ya they talk a good line untill there's problems. Also I had to take it back several times for leaks etc. and every time they screwed something up-like tore the wires to the tc, pulled the linkage loose inside at the shifter etc. So it may be OK to buy parts from them but I wouldn't even do that now! OK, done with my rant, but I don't want to see any one here go through the same crap that I did.
Old 03-16-2002, 11:57 PM   #14
dsagers
CF Senior Member

OK, I understand your rant, and hope you find a solution to your tranny problems soon. It will likely mean a different tranny that the 700r4. Too many built cars are eating them for lunch.

As for the subject, the tranny controllers Bowtieoverdrivers sell are made by Compuserve, a separate company. Based on the info from the few people who have plunged in and paid the price for these controllers, they are fantastic, but at $1500, they better be magic. The GM units referenced above
aren't cheap either, something like $1000, and these do not offer anywhere as many features as the Compuserve.

I decided to go with a 4L80E because of the strength and the overdrive. On several occasions I almost bought 700r4 units, but became cautious when the sellers said they were going to a TH400 or 4L80E. Seems too many guys are busting these trannys. So I could either pay the price of admission up front or just plan fixing a 700r4 every year. Since laying under a car pulling a tranny ranks right up there with changing diapers, I'll buy the best I can up front and pay a little more.
dsagers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 09:56 PM   #15
Tomulrich
CF Senior Member

Default Re: stand alone control for a 4l60e? (dsagers)

I have completed a 4L80E conversion in my C4. I fabricated an adapter utilizing the factory torque channel with minor shortening and drilling...I am actually selling the torque tubes and brackets for 4L80E ...$500.00 for the conversion hardware ready to bolt on.
Tomulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 09:56 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Scan & Tune
Reload this Page stand alone control for a 4l60e?

Tags
12497316, 4l60e, c5, complete, computer, controller, controlling, ecm, factory, input, kit, needed, scanning, stand, tps