C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I NEED HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 06:45 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Default I NEED HELP!!!!!!

Ok, I just finished up the camshaft/rockerarm change on my '93 and when I started it up, three problems:

1.) a rather loud clicking noise
I'm assuming that this is from a loose rockerarm and will have to tighten them back down, but is this bad to run with for a little while while I get the camshaft broken in. It's on the driver's side and I don't really want to take the alternator back off right now.

2.) whispy white smoke comming off of the engine
I first noticed this on the drivers side, possibly from the alternator spinning it around but when I reved up the engine accidentally I noticed it comming heavily from the passenger side. Could this just be the antifreeze I spilled on the engine block steaming or is it possible that there is something more? I made sure the sparkplug wires are in their holders so I don't think its that on the exhaust manifold.

3.) engine wants to die after letting off of the gas
Is this just a side effect from a bigger cam? Has anybody else seen this? or have I inadvertantly screwed up something else. In any case what's the best fix for the least amount of money?

Thanks guys

Old 03-12-2002, 09:58 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I NEED HELP!!!!!! (mn_vette)

Come on guys, I know somebody has got to have some kind of experience with this.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:20 PM
TVS VETTE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds llike a loose rocker arm. If you have a mechanics stesascope or long screw driver you can pinpoint which one it is. As for the engine dying when you let of the thortle, I would say the timing is off. I have found small blocks run good around 8 to 10 degress advance with the timing light. didnt say what size cam. Dont worry about the steam, it will fade. :seeya :seeya
Old 03-12-2002, 11:55 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: I NEED HELP!!!!!! (TVS VETTE)

Yep, souds like a lose rocker arm... It could be pushing the valve down improperly (not enough) causing it to die too.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:02 AM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I NEED HELP!!!!!! (Glock'94)

Can you set the timing on a LT1 with opti-spark? I know nothing about that setup. As far as the smoke I wouldn't worry right away. You likely drippped oil around down there when doing the work. It will take a bit to burn off. How's the roads down there. They just dumped about another 90 tons of salt and sand on 'em up here last weekend. No driving for awhile.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:05 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I NEED HELP!!!!!! (Bob86ZZ4)

The roads here are a little wet from the melting snow, but I think pretty much all of the salt is gone so once I get this thing humming it'll be out there tearn' it up.

As for the timing problem, I did the whole dot to dot thing when I put it togther so the timing should be ok, but if it's not, is there an easy way to fix this? I'm NOT going to rip the stuff apart to move the timing chain.

I pulled the valve cover off and I'm hoping to have the rocker pinpointed and fixed by tonight. Note to self: watch out for hot oil flying around, wear long sleeves and shop glasses.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2002, 10:08 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I NEED HELP!!!!!! (TVS VETTE)

TVS_Vette

I went with the ZZ-9 camshaft with 1.6 and 1.52 rockers. That makes the lift about .52 and .53 for the intake and exhaust. I'm not exactly sure about the thousandths place but it's kind of a big jump from stock.

Old 03-17-2002, 02:14 PM
axer911
Intermediate

Just some questions. Did you set all your valves? You should have the old style optispark & provided you put it back together aligned correctly your timing should be correct. It sounds like you may need to set your valves again if you've done it already. Its very importqant to get started on TDC of #1. The smoke is probably what Officer Bob says. It is not a good idea to drive the car until you've determined exactly what the problem is. (Pay me now or pay me later, right Bob!). Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

AXER911
Old 03-18-2002, 08:22 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I NEED HELP!!!!!! (axer911)

Just some questions. Did you set all your valves? ... It sounds like you may need to set your valves again if you've done it already. Its very importqant to get started on TDC of #1.
What do you mean by "setting your valves"? I've never heard of this. I didn't realize that there was anything I had to do with the valves.

Old 03-18-2002, 08:41 PM
TVS VETTE
Advanced

Are you joking about setting the valves??????? Oh how I miss the Land of 10,000 Lakes. If you have a good service manual, it will tell you how to adjust the valves cold. I also like to adjust them hot after the engine has ran awhile. :D :D :seeya
Old 03-18-2002, 08:41 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he means setting the rocker arm clearances. Is that it, Shawn?
Old 03-18-2002, 10:00 PM
red-y
Drifting

Hey Minnesota - I grew up in Hastings - go Vikings.. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To I NEED HELP!!!!!!

Quick Reply: I NEED HELP!!!!!!