Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Scan & Tune
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Scan & Tune
Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
mike pinto

Default 1990 c4 corvette won,t start

hello people well this started in aug 2006. lets start from the being that the battery went dead than all down hill from there. 1 put new battery in. 2 water in tank cleaned out tank put new fuel pump in. 3 cleaned out lines. 4 new gas fliter 5 starter went dead put new one in . turn key will not fire up use starting fluid she runs for 10 secs stops. checked for codes on ecm b-a got nothing. did a-g got codes h41 .car sat from march of 06 to aug 06. in aug the car would run a few times but realy bad no power it seamed to run rich . would run for 20 min then stop and would not start it did this for a few weeks now it wont run at all.check plugs black from fuel and changed. checked fuel rail 44psi put new dist in have spark.no palse to inj have power going to them but they do not pulse. how can i test the ecm to tell if bad and where can you get one that works. plus the ccm where is that on this vet. all so can it be the vats key ?
mike pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
RRT vette
CF Senior Member

This is really difficult to read. Let me try and clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike pinto View Post
hello people well this started in aug 2006. lets start from the being that the battery went dead than all down hill from there.
1. put new battery in.
2. water in tank cleaned out tank put new fuel pump in.
3. cleaned out lines.
4. new gas fliter
5. starter went dead put new one in . turn key will not fire up use starting fluid she runs for 10 secs stops.

checked for codes on ecm b-a got nothing. did a-g got codes h41 .car sat from march of 06 to aug 06, in aug the car would run a few times but realy bad no power it seamed to run rich . would run for 20 min then stop and would not start it did this for a few weeks now it wont run at all.check plugs black from fuel and changed. checked fuel rail 44psi put new dist in have spark.no palse to inj have power going to them but they do not pulse. how can i test the ecm to tell if bad and where can you get one that works. plus the ccm where is that on this vet. all so can it be the vats key ?
Still, everything is so "jumbled", I have no clue where to start giving info. If you can clear things up, I would be glad to help.
RRT vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
mike pinto

well lets see 1990 not zr1. Turns over but will not start. I us starting fluid it runs for 10 secs. Pulled codes for ecm nothing. Pulled codes from ccm got coded h41.Got gas 44 psi , got spark, charged up battery,new dist coil cap rotor plugs wires fuel fliter fuel pump.IT seams there is know pulse going to the injectors there is power no pulse . can it be a chip ecm key switch
Old 04-03-2007, 12:44 AM   #4
RRT vette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
well lets see 1990 not zr1. Turns over but will not start. I us starting fluid it runs for 10 secs. Pulled codes for ecm nothing. Pulled codes from ccm got coded h41.Got gas 44 psi , got spark, charged up battery,new dist coil cap rotor plugs wires fuel fliter fuel pump.IT seams there is know pulse going to the injectors there is power no pulse . can it be a chip ecm key switch
If it turn over, it's not VATS or the pellet in the key. I see you verified you have fuel pressure and you have spark. If there is no refrence signal going to the injectors, then that is a step you need to take. How did you verify you have no signal to the injectors? The 90 uses 8 refrence pulses where as the 85-88 use only 4. I would check the pick up coil as this is where the pulses original from. It is located in the distrubitor. It sends pulses according to RPM's to the ECM which grounds the injector wire.

I do not have a manual for the 90, but I will list the troubleshooting for the 85-89. For the code 41...disconnect the battery for ~30 seconds and reconnect. Start the engine and let run for one minute.

If the code reappears, turn the ignition "off", and disconnect the ECM connectors. Use a test light and probe D1, D3, D10, and A12. If the light comes on it's either a faulty chip or connection. If no light on the tester, then repair the open in circuit 450 (black wire with white stripe)

If the code does not reappear, then consider the code to be intermittant.

Here is the test for the pickup coil:

Pickup coil-Connect a ohmmeter to each terminal of the pickup coil wire and groud it to the dist base. It should indicate infinite resistance.

Connect a ohmmeter between both terminals of the pickup coil connector. Flex the wires by hand to check for open circuit. It should indicate a steady value between 500-1500 ohms. If either test fails, replace the pickup coil.

Best thing you can do is purchase a FSM for your 90 vette, if you don't have one. It will save much headache if you do things yourself.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #5
mike pinto

Default noids

i used a noid light kit for fuel inj test. 41 Loss of ECM Serial Data Communication. used cartech book .used diagnostic terminal to get codes. 1986 to 1989 wires not the same as 90

Last edited by mike pinto; 04-03-2007 at 01:06 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-03-2007, 01:34 AM   #6
RRT vette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
i used a noid light kit for fuel inj test. 41 Loss of ECM Serial Data Communication. used cartech book .used diagnostic terminal to get codes. 1986 to 1989 wires not the same as 90
A noid light is the way to do it. I would agree that the 90 wiring is different from the 84-89 since the ECM changed locations. Your ECM is under the hood above the battery, as you may know. If it were me, I would purchase a 90 FSM. It will lead you in the right direction. Perhaps someone with a 90 will chime in and help you. You might want to contact mseven (forum member) and ask if he can help lead you in the right direction. I think he owns a 90 vette and is very knowledgable. Your main concern right now is to get ref pulses to the injectors. Try testing the pickup coil.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/members/178906-mseven.html
Old 04-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #7
mike pinto

Default will do

will test coil and see what i get
Old 04-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
kalister1
CF Senior Member

I have a similar code, CCM 054 Loss of Serial Data in my 93. Ocording to the FSM for 93 when CCM 054 shows up it will also trip CCM 041 FEDS Fuel Disable. I am about to blame the ECM. The 93 manual says if the Serial line is down at start up, the FEDS will disable fuel.
kalister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
mike pinto

Default look

charged battery last night put cables back on did ccm scan lost coded h41 got new code h12 ecm no codes sorry on ccm not coded h12 its c12

Last edited by mike pinto; 04-03-2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: coded letter mix up
Old 04-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
mike pinto

Default ecm checked all things

http://www.autocomputersupply.com/index.asp this is where i will by ecm 115.00 it looks like its what i need
Old 04-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #11
RRT vette
CF Senior Member

Sounds like you were able to clear the code 41. The code 12 is normal when you pull the codes. Are there still no ref pulses to the injectors? I would troubleshoot the wiring, before saying you need a new ECM. Test the wiring at the ECM. A FSM will tell you which wires to test. If you would like to purchase a remanufactured ECM, that is your choice. It might fix it and it might not, but I would make sure before hand.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:40 PM   #12
mike pinto

Default yes

i checked grounds 70% wire i can get to and see . found out that the ccm codes that have a h are old codes ones that have a c are new just y did it have a code h41 before now its c12 taken wires off battery cleaned up pos was realy bad charged 100% put wires on only code is c12 ccm and 12 on ecm thats good .been reading that if you jump start is not good for the ecm it seems to me half read its ok the othere say no good . would say its not for this car
Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 AM   #13
Sam Lam
CF Senior Member

Mike: Check the resistance of your injectors. This may or may not be your problem. But it is an easy test. The resistance of each injector should be 16.5 +/- .5 ohms. Let us know what you find on this test.
Sam Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 AM   #14
mike pinto

Default will do

ok will do this thur going to rain wed i will let you know. i have been using a cartech book for chevy it keeps pointing to ecm when i get done testing things. all so i put in a new oil/fuel switch it cuts of fuel when oil drops past 4psi. that was one thing i did becouse it was leaking bad. that was a hard part to get ever one was saying it was a oil presher switch there is two on same oil line behind distributor. still no ref pulses to the injectors

Last edited by mike pinto; 04-04-2007 at 01:35 AM. Reason: rrt vette
Old 04-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #15
mseven
CF Senior Member

I do have a 90 as RRT stated, and because I'm not sure what was looked at (exactly from the post) I can give you some ideas where I would start.
First visual check of everything, pinched/cut distributer wiring, vac lines (bad or not connected properly), ECM grounds(clean tight, unconnected etc.) (there is fuel in the car...right, sorry have to ask)
Check dist., pickup coil resistance, loose ignition coil ground. (I can either post some tests or an auto zone should be able to test for you)
CTS, resistance (needs to match or close ambient temp.),
TPS, for sticking , binding and or dead spots, Injector fuses(visual)
EGR, operation (if any) make sure valve is not staying open.
Have you looked to see if you have spark while cranking (checking 2 wires)
Check battery voltage to the distrubter
When using test light for inj., is it blinking while being cranked?
Has this car started with everything as is now? Fresh build?
In the later, distrubter advance and/or dist. gear location, valve timing, etc.
I'm not sure how much of this helps, depending, this should give you a place of reference.
mseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #16
mike pinto

Default did 90%

just going to test inj fri today got home late and for some reason april in nj is our new dec freaken cooled. getting new ecm fri or mon some say its ecm, some say they dont go bad, some say they do i got 3 people looking at this car what going on is no pulse at inj did all test keeps pointing to ecm going to check all wires same time on friday to. i went threw 3/4 of them looking for rub cuts any thing will do rrt like the poll about did the ecm fix the problem

Last edited by mike pinto; 04-05-2007 at 11:48 PM. Reason: yy
Old 04-05-2007, 11:36 PM   #17
RRT vette
CF Senior Member

Let us know if the next ECM fixes it. It is possible that it will.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #18
mike pinto

Default been reading ecm form

my 1990 vet got 250,000 miles on it also i will list all things checked and tested and replaced all so this week end some time fri or sunday not sunday its easter
Old 04-06-2007, 06:02 PM   #19
mike pinto

Default ok going nuts help info

checked inj 16 to 16.5 on them got ecm to day plug it in now it flashes sys car starts now this is the thing now runs rough rich as hell checked ecm no codes checked ccm now i got this how can you get c41 h41] at the same time h65 h64 toke wires of battery put back on codes still there checked inj again p side 16 to 16 .5 .d side 16, 13 ,3.3, 12.1 why is this and why is sys flashing now i need help some one please am going crazy my ecm was bad is the one i good bad to becouse it flashes sys now
Old 04-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #20
RRT vette
CF Senior Member

Can you repost, but make it a clearer. I really can't understand it...the words all run together.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:03 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Scan & Tune
Reload this Page 1990 c4 corvette won,t start

Tags
1990, 41, blinks, ccm, chevrolet, code, connectors, corvette, injectors, light, noid, start, stops, troubleshooting, turn, wont