C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Results from a bad tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:28 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Results from a bad tuner

The picture below is a picture of the transmission tunnel. The white you see in the picture is what's left of the fiberglass after the CAT overheated and seriously fried the tunnel area next to and above the CAT.

The position where the CAT was located was not an idea spot in the first case. But seeing how that is where the installer positioned it we have to make do. When the CAT overheated it burned the glass adjacent to the CAT, then it went up above the cat, progressed towards the shifter opening and forward to just below where the radio sits.

Originally I thought we could section in a peice from a wrecked C4 to just cover the side panel, but once we got the transmission out we could see more damage, now to fixt it correctly we will have to remove the complete dash to section in a tunnel from a donor body.

The tuner problem was the same guy I spoke about in a previous post. The problem was that there was 4 burnt plug wires causing a mis-fire which in turn caused the PCM to turn on the fuel because the o2 sensor told it that it was extremely lean due to the amount of unburned o2 in the exhaust as a result of the miss firing cylinders.

So for you guys that has CATs with long tube headers in this same area, just beware that if you develope a miss, you better get it fixed pronto! This car was literally seconds away from burning to the ground. The carpet pad was actually burnt inside the car! I guess GM must had used some kind of fire retardent in the padding and the glass.

Last edited by tjwong; 12-28-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:40 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure I understand , that looks (hard to tell in pic) the area were the collector extension should be , not a cat. Correct me if I am not seeing this right.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:03 AM
tntcorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a modified exhaust system. Lont tube headers directly into cat converters that got too hot and caused alot of damage.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Alvin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

The title of this thread should include incompetent shop/tuner

Comeon man, did they even bother to hook it up to a scan tool? from there they should have been able to see the problem
Old 12-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Geeze! I'm getting ready to install long tubes on my 92 (EM's) and WAS planning on using Random Tech's Cats that fit directly onto the header collector. Is this the same set up that was in the problem Vette? Does Random use any shielding around the cat like the stock cat? You're not giving me a warm fuzzy on this.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:26 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Strick
Geeze! I'm getting ready to install long tubes on my 92 (EM's) and WAS planning on using Random Tech's Cats that fit directly onto the header collector. Is this the same set up that was in the problem Vette? Does Random use any shielding around the cat like the stock cat? You're not giving me a warm fuzzy on this.
Upgrade the RT CATs to their metallic core CATs, then glue additional heat shielding mat to the fiberglass. And above all keep your engine tune up and running properly. Another solution is to relocate the CATs to the rear. Here is where I have my CATs using EM long tubes.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Ramanstud
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get notified of new replies

To Results from a bad tuner

Quick Reply: Results from a bad tuner