C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do I get the scan codes on a 1995?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 12:40 PM
torchred1995
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I get the scan codes on a 1995?

I have read a lot of posts on the use of scan tools, but don't recall seeing anyone with a problem scanning a '95.

I have a 1995 LT-1 6-Speed with an OBDII (16-pin) connector under the driver's side dash.

I was having a hard cold start problem, so at the suggestion of some member here, I went to AutoZone to have them pull the codes to help me diagnose it. They used a Tech2 scanner that would do nothing other than give an interface error. They had no idea what the problem was, so I thanked them and left. Now I begin some research. In looking at the specs for scan tools (in person and on the web) I see that all are labelled for use on 1996 models and newer. Where does that leave my '95 that seems to have the proper connector?

So I have a couple of questions from members that may have dealt with situation before and either did or didn't have a problem such as this. Is this a problem with this particular scanner, is the interface in the car really not "right", and is there a scanner I can get that will work?

Thanks in advance for your help. This forum has been a great source of information in many, many areas - the knowledge of the members here is amazing.

Note: I mistakenly posted this in the Tech/Performance section earlier. Should have been here all along.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Timmy!
Le Mans Master

I think this is what you are looking for:
http://speeddemonmotorsports.com/Tec...s/OBD1DTC.html

Check a repair manual, you can use a paperclip and jump it across 2 pins to get the dash to display the error code. I can't remember offhand which pins do it.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Timmy!
Le Mans Master

This might help as well:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=192&TopicID=2
Old 05-09-2005, 05:13 PM
torchred1995
Intermediate

Thanks for the info, especially the Tech Tips link.

The question remains however, is there a scanner that works with this model year, or does the dash read-out give enough info that a scanner is not needed?
Old 05-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Timmy!
Le Mans Master

The dash readout gives enough info that you don't need a scanner. All you need is a repair manual that tells you how to enter the diagnostics mode and then it flashes the lights a certain way indicating what code you have. I can look it up for you when I get home as I have a '95 as well.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmy!
The dash readout gives enough info that you don't need a scanner. All you need is a repair manual that tells you how to enter the diagnostics mode and then it flashes the lights a certain way indicating what code you have. I can look it up for you when I get home as I have a '95 as well.

I've done it with my '95 a few times. Once you jump the two pins on the connector, turn the key on, the CCM will display all the codes from the various components on the dash. You can clear them using the CCM as well.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:21 PM
torchred1995
Intermediate

Excellent information. Thank you all very much.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Rebuilder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The '95 is a "sort of" OBD I. Short the two pins with a paper clip.
Turn on the ignition. Section 1 is the CCM (Chassis Control Module) and shows "C12" then any stored codes finishing with "---". Next is section 4, the PCM (Power Control Module) that shows any codes for the engine or trans. Section 9 is the braking controller finishing with "---". Last is section A which is the DERM (Air Bag Controller). Each section uses the same numbers (DTCs) with different meanings. Post the codes and the sections they show up in. We will help with meanings and ideas as to what to check.

Rebuilder
Old 05-19-2005, 07:37 PM
LS6 Motor
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actron makes a scanner that is available for earlier year cars. I bought one for my 1991 Vette, but it will also work on my new Chevy Colorado. The model is #9145, which works on both OBD I and OBD II. It comes with the cable for OBD II, and you have to buy an additional cable for OBD I. The scanner was $299, and the cable was an additional $30, but it also gives the power cable for the cigarette lighter. You can look on their website, www.actron.com. They also have excellent customer service, because the power cable continually blew my 15 amp fuse, and I found that the cable was bad. I called them, and they sent me a new one in two days for free. Hope this helps....

Last edited by LS6 Motor; 05-19-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:33 PM
torchred1995
Intermediate

Thanks for all your help regarding pulling the scanner codes. The short between pins 4 - 12 works exaclty as outlined here.

The 'bad' news is that it did no good in diagnosing the hard-start problem I was having.

FYI - the hard start problem, with unburned fuel smell was caused by a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator. A quick check for this (without having to pinch-off any fuel lines) is to see if the un-burned fuel vapor is coming from the right-exhaust pipe. If this is the case, the chances are that it is the Fuel Pressure Regulator; when fuel backs up through the vacuum line, it empties into the intake manifold on the right side of the engine. Just pull the vacuum line to verify.

If the smell is from the other or both sides, it is probably an injector(s) or a combination of the two problems.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I get the scan codes on a 1995?

Quick Reply: How do I get the scan codes on a 1995?