Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

WTB: Looking for some muffler eliminators

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 08:33 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Looking for some muffler eliminators

Anyone out there tired or too old to handle the rumble of their muffler eliminators and want to sell them ?

Or if you have a set lying around you do not want anymore and want to sell them, let me know.

Thanks,
Old 03-11-2020, 10:11 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,481 Likes on 2,819 Posts

I'll be taking mine off once I put my longtubes on.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:02 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I have a friend who's son has a pair of brand new, never installed with the LT-1 tips. I'll check and see if they are still available and price.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:27 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Sounds good, let me know.
Thanks,
Old 03-11-2020, 05:32 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 182 Posts

Any exhaust shop can bend and cut "eliminator" pipes. This is the route I go on my cars. Costs about $130 all together and can be done today in 1 hours time.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:33 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Why is that?? Too loud to you?
Old 03-12-2020, 12:20 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,481 Likes on 2,819 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentEran
Why is that?? Too loud to you?
My assumption is that longtubes with just an x pipe and no mufflers will be very extremely loud. My car with only the muffler deletes is very loud, nearly as loud as my buddy's heads and cam longtubed ls1 z28. So I figure the longtubes will be full on nuts.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:28 AM
AgentEran
Drifting

My assumption is that longtubes with just an x pipe and no mufflers will be very extremely loud. My car with only the muffler deletes is very loud, nearly as loud as my buddy's heads and cam longtubed ls1 z28. So I figure the longtubes will be full on nuts.
You are correct sir, that setup is very loud but not much louder than the coyotes you see/hear everywhere. That was my current setup, I loved it. It's going to be a 550hp 383 on the same setup in a cpl months. That should sound insane.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:04 AM
WhiteC1
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

FAUEE,
My '95 LT1 6-speed has longtubes and muffler eliminators. It has the stock crossover resonator. I don't think the sound is too loud. Actually, I love the exhaust note it produces! I know that exhaust sound is very subjective, but I recommend you put the longtubes on first, then decide if it's too loud for you. Just my $0.02.

Regards,
John
Old 04-09-2020, 12:50 AM
Theman5
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentEran
Any exhaust shop can bend and cut "eliminator" pipes. This is the route I go on my cars. Costs about $130 all together and can be done today in 1 hours time.
shops are quoting a lot more than that around me !
Old 04-09-2020, 01:41 AM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by Theman5
shops are quoting a lot more than that around me !
#corvette tax
Old 04-17-2020, 01:01 PM
Theman5
Pro

For little investment you can do a delete even temporary to see how you like it. Muffler shops around me charge the Corvette tax I guess. So I did this for a friend on his 86

Cut off old mufflers , used flex exhaust pipe , clamps , hangers and chrome tips. Sounds and looks good !

The following users liked this post:
RedHot85Vette (04-20-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 05:14 PM
Theman5
Pro

For little investment you can do a delete even temporary to see how you like it. Muffler shops around me charge the Corvette tax I guess. So I did this for a friend on his 86

Cut off old mufflers , used flex exhaust pipe , clamps , hangers and chrome tips. Sounds and looks good !

Old 04-18-2020, 06:58 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Well done sir! This is certainly the cheapest option. can always revert or get a muffler later.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:23 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

thanks for the suggestion and pics. I might do the muffler shop route, but i am trying to have a set with and without mufflers, so i can go back and forth in a clamp loosening minute.
So I am still wanting a set to buy. Also forgot to mention, I would like a set with LT1 tips.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2020, 12:12 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by scrappy76
thanks for the suggestion and pics. I might do the muffler shop route, but i am trying to have a set with and without mufflers, so i can go back and forth in a clamp loosening minute.
So I am still wanting a set to buy. Also forgot to mention, I would like a set with LT1 tips.
Thanks
You may have a different experience but the stock tips neck down to 2.25 inches. That's smaller than the mostly 2.5 exhaust system (2.75 in some places). This represents a restriction and made my car slower when I tried the stock tips. Had to revert back to aftermarket tips w 2.5 id.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:14 PM
Theman5
Pro

Picture of tips I went with:

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for some muffler eliminators

Old 04-20-2020, 10:02 PM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great! I love the ol' school DIY out-in-da-street hot rodder ways myself... you get an awesome sound and lose all that muffler weight as well... I'll be doing the same as you any minute now. I'm going to put a coat of high heat/anti-rust black paint on the pipes first, from Y-pipe-clamp to end-of-pipe, and then wrap them with titanium header/exhaust pipe wrap, all the way up to the rear of the chrome tips. I believe it'll make for a custom, unique, exhaust note, and with the paint and the wrap should eliminate any chance of a "tinny" sound. Kinda smooth out the raucous. And of course you can customize your pipes any way you want. You can multi-layer the wrap, to make the sound as smooth as you like. You can add small/short "racing" mufflers. I've seen them as short as 10 inches. You can put the pipes in a vice and squeeze evenly spaced dents in them to "chamber" the pipes. There are many ways to customize the sound of your exhaust, cheaply (dirt cheaply!). Make Your Sound Unique! Make It Yours! Borla Magnaflow Be Damned!

PS. You're a Good Friend to Your Friend.

I believe there should be a forum section in C4 for members to post their money saving old school hot rodder ideas, shortcuts... did you ever make one or more custom tools out of junk to get a job done that maybe you would have had to pay a fortune for the manufactured "correct" tool? You could Post Time saving troubleshooting steps. Not really a place to ask questions but a place to post Ideas, Tips. How-To's, Shortcuts. Like this post right here. You could make a Post: How I Saved a Fortune Customizing My Exhaust.

Last edited by RedHot85Vette; 04-20-2020 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Theman5 (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 10:39 PM
Theman5
Pro

Originally Posted by RedHot85Vette
Great! I love the ol' school DIY out-in-da-street hot rodder ways myself... you get an awesome sound and lose all that muffler weight as well... I'll be doing the same as you any minute now. I'm going to put a coat of high heat/anti-rust black paint on the pipes first, from Y-pipe-clamp to end-of-pipe, and then wrap them with titanium header/exhaust pipe wrap, all the way up to the rear of the chrome tips. I believe it'll make for a custom, unique, exhaust note, and with the paint and the wrap should eliminate any chance of a "tinny" sound. Kinda smooth out the raucous. And of course you can customize your pipes any way you want. You can multi-layer the wrap, to make the sound as smooth as you like. You can add small/short "racing" mufflers. I've seen them as short as 10 inches. You can put the pipes in a vice and squeeze evenly spaced dents in them to "chamber" the pipes. There are many ways to customize the sound of your exhaust, cheaply (dirt cheaply!). Make Your Sound Unique! Make It Yours! Borla Magnaflow Be Damned!

PS. You're a Good Friend to Your Friend.

I believe there should be a forum section in C4 for members to post their money saving old school hot rodder ideas, shortcuts... did you ever make one or more custom tools out of junk to get a job done that maybe you would have had to pay a fortune for the manufactured "correct" tool? You could Post Time saving troubleshooting steps. Not really a place to ask questions but a place to post Ideas, Tips. How-To's, Shortcuts. Like this post right here. You could make a Post: How I Saved a Fortune Customizing My Exhaust.
how does that wrap attach? Clamps ? I thought of putting done of the patch wrap on the pipes to strengthen them up. Soak it in water , wrap it and it hardens up with the heat.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:28 PM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

how does that wrap attach? Clamps ? I thought of putting done of the patch wrap on the pipes to strengthen them up. Soak it in water , wrap it and it hardens up with the heat.
The wrap comes in tight rolls. They have different colors too. I got it cheap on eBay. You wrap the product around the pipe in neat overlaps and then you secure it, a section at a time with stainless steel zip-ties. The rolls come with zip-ties but I've purchased more, just to make sure I have enough to secure the wrap snugly tight. The thing with the cast-wrap is that it's messy, it may be prone to cracking. Although it's hard to believe, the pipe is still flexible from heat-cold contractions which may separate the cast from the pipe. I believe that plaster cast material is good for wrapping a muffler that may have rotted out, like they want to do on the bottoms, like the one on my Vette as this very moment. I was going to use that wrap, a long time ago, when I first got my car, before I learned about the deletes. Don't know about you but I can't wait to play around with the "note" of my home-made, DIY, exhaust system. Probably when I'm done I could just as well purchased a complete Borla system. In fact, I think that's sort of the note I'm going for, but whatever sounds Boss to me will work fine. I don't have any neighbors. Live in the woods so... Let the Pipes Roar!

Quick Reply: WTB: Looking for some muffler eliminators