Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

What is the Best replacement crate engine for an '86 aluminum Head??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 PM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the Best replacement crate engine for an '86 aluminum Head??

Simple question. I am thinking about keeping my all stock '86 Z51 A4 coupe. It is a late year car with aluminum heads, but the engine, even though she runs well and has adequate power, she does use some oil and a little coolant. I have been toying with the idea of just replacing the long block or maybe just a complete engine with something I can do myself.

I am not looking for a lot of horsepower, but I do love torque!! I would say I am looking for something in the 350 HP range with around 400 ft lbs of torque. I am planning on keeping the stock tranny and converter. I love the way the factory '85 and '86s downshift. I guess you could say I am a purist, but I know the crate engine is the only way to go as far as cost and reliability.

Also, I am planning on keeping the stock exhaust for now. I may go with long tube headers and delete the cats before long, but I do not like mangaflow mufflers. I like things quite on the inside......

Anyway, any ideas from anyone. I am looking for something that arrives at my house in a crate on Friday, and by Sunday, she is installed and done. I would also like to stay around the 2500.00-3500.00 price range.............thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 02:51 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

This thread should be in the C4 General Discussion section of this forum...

This is the motor I was going to get before I decided to get a custom built 383 stroker motor.. With everything else being stock you should get about 30 or 40 hp more then the stock engine..It's an internally balanced 4 bolt roller block with a forged crank and hyper pistons and 10 to 1 compression..Has a General Motors limited 2 year / 50,000 mile parts & labor warranty.WW

http://paceperformance.com/i-5146074...ck-engine.html

Last edited by WW7; 01-08-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:11 PM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WW7
This thread should be in the C4 General Discussion section of this forum...

This is the motor I was going to get before I decided to get a custom built 383 stroker motor.. With everything else being stock you should get about 30 or 40 hp more then the stock engine..It's an internally balanced 4 bolt roller block with a forged crank and hyper pistons and 10 to 1 compression..Has a General Motors limited 2 year / 50,000 mile parts & labor warranty.WW

http://paceperformance.com/i-5146074...ck-engine.html
Yes, you are right about the category where I put the thread. Sorry about that.............thanks for the link!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 PM
sgttimo
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by tnz5106
Simple question. I am thinking about keeping my all stock '86 Z51 A4 coupe. It is a late year car with aluminum heads, but the engine, even though she runs well and has adequate power, she does use some oil and a little coolant. I have been toying with the idea of just replacing the long block or maybe just a complete engine with something I can do myself.

I am not looking for a lot of horsepower, but I do love torque!! I would say I am looking for something in the 350 HP range with around 400 ft lbs of torque. I am planning on keeping the stock tranny and converter. I love the way the factory '85 and '86s downshift. I guess you could say I am a purist, but I know the crate engine is the only way to go as far as cost and reliability.

Also, I am planning on keeping the stock exhaust for now. I may go with long tube headers and delete the cats before long, but I do not like mangaflow mufflers. I like things quite on the inside......

Anyway, any ideas from anyone. I am looking for something that arrives at my house in a crate on Friday, and by Sunday, she is installed and done. I would also like to stay around the 2500.00-3500.00 price range.............thanks
If interested I have a 383stroker from my 1984 Vette for sale. Has been balanced, blue printed and the heads redone by Lingenfelter in Decatur, Indiana. Long story on why I replaced engine but offer was to good to pass up. Motor has been on a stand in my garage since 2007. Has less that 3000 miles on it. Have made no great attempt to sell it. Could go back and forth to hagle but don't want to. Will sell it for $1200.00-you pick up or pay for shipping. Call if interested 734-777-6639. Tim

Get notified of new replies

To What is the Best replacement crate engine for an '86 aluminum Head??

Quick Reply: What is the Best replacement crate engine for an '86 aluminum Head??