Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Custom subwoofer & amp enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom subwoofer & amp enclosure

This is an unfinished MDF enclosure designed to hold a single 10" sub and an amplifier. The box is designed so that a trim panel can be made that flush mounts the sub and amp for a nice clean installation. I never got around to building the flush panel, so there would be some work on your part to complete it. If you're nearby (South-Western Vermont) I'd be happy to finish it to your specifications for your specific equipment at an additional cost. I built this enclosure specifically for my C4, and it fit perfectly in the back. I sold the car and no longer need it.

I'm asking $100 plus shipping for the empty enclosure. SUBWOOFER AND AMP ARE NOT INCLUDED.

Shipping would likely be expensive due to the size & weight, but I'm happy to ship at buyer's expense. It's also available for local pick-up.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

to the top.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Still for sale. Make me an offer! This box will save somebody a LOT of time if you want an enclosure that looks a whole lot better than a generic box in your trunk.

It's taking up room in the garage, so make an offer if you want it.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Still available.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

still available. Make me an offer, I might just say yes!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:45 PM
dayle97se
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I might be interested but I'm curious as to the "flush panel" you mentioned. Are you referring to some sort of clear cover to go over the amp and sub? Also, can this be ported? IMHO band pass subs are best.

I live on long island, but may be taking the Vette up to Boston at the end of Oct.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dayle97se
I might be interested but I'm curious as to the "flush panel" you mentioned. Are you referring to some sort of clear cover to go over the amp and sub? Also, can this be ported? IMHO band pass subs are best.

I live on long island, but may be taking the Vette up to Boston at the end of Oct.
The flush panel that I'm referring to would most likely be carpeted. This is how it would allow the sub and amp to blend in with the interior of the car. The panel would sit on top of the box, flush with the height of the surround of the woofer and the top of the amp. It's a little hard to tell in the pics I posted, but the amp is mounted with spacers that put the top of it at the same height as the edge of the subwoofer, so that one piece of carpet-covered wood with a cutout for the woofer and amp will fit perfectly around them, putting them flush with the carpeted surface.

For example, here's a box I did for a Camaro. You can see that the 1 installed woofer is flush mounted into the carpeted cover:

Another example:

Here's some random pic I found online of a flush mounted amp:

I don't have any pics online that show the amp and sub flush mounted, but I've built similar Camaro boxes that flush 1 sub and 1 amp.

Hopefully these pics & description help clarify what I meant.

As for porting/bandpass, this enclosure doesn't offer the amount of airspace that most ported enclosures would require, especially once you take port volume into account. I built the box too long ago to remember the volume offhand so I'd have to measure it and figure it out, but I do know it's under 1 cubic foot. It's designed for a modern "small box" sub, like that Adire Koda that's in it now. Ported enclosures are nice when they're built to the proper size based on the subwoofer's thiele-small parameters, but when you do that, generally the box becomes quite large, especially once you take port volume into account. Most of the ported car audio enclosures you see are generic enclosures that are too small and tuned to too high of a frequency, which usually results in one-note drone. Even when you do build the enclosure to the correct volume & port tuning frequency, when you combine it with a typical car's cabin gain effect, you wind up with too much low bass. Generally a sealed enclosure provides the smoothest in-car response provided you choose a sub with the right t/s parameters.

band pass subs have their place, but generally they take up way too much space in a car to be practical, and they really require careful consideration of the sub's t/s parameters when designing them or you just wind up with junk.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 10-19-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Still available. Make an offer! If you're local, come see it. I'll put it into your car so you can see exactly how it fits.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom subwoofer & amp enclosure

Quick Reply: Custom subwoofer & amp enclosure