C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

how to change the thermostat in an lt1

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 09:02 PM
rustangkiller
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to change the thermostat in an lt1

i think my thermostat is sticking because my heater isnt blowing very hot. so im thinking that i should change it out. its only a 5 dollar part. i think. i wanted to know from the pros whats the best way to do it. how long does it take and how do i bleed the valves. do i have to pry it out.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:12 PM
JA94vette
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drain the coolant!!! At least to get the level below the thermostat (ask me how I know!! lol). Then I removed the intake duct for room. Popped the upper radiatior hose off. Removed the two bolts on the thermostat housing and it poped right off. From what a friend told me the system would bleed off air as nessary but they could be wrong....i'm sure someone who knows will chime in. The thermostat comes right out; I didn't have to pry to get it out. It really doesn't take to long to do. I guess it took me about an hour with some serious goofing off and a break to buy coolant. Good luck...any other questions, let me know.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:25 PM
rustangkiller
Racer

how do you drain the coolent? lol
Old 12-20-2004, 09:48 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

there is a draincock on the lower lefthand corner of the radiator(lefthand if you are looking at the front of your car). You should be able to open this by hand, or may need pliers to coax it. Open only a couple of turns, as this thing is not intended to come off completely. Only do this when engine is cold, or you will burn the sh*t out of your hand. catch the draining fluid in clean container, so you can put it back in after you have finished replacing the thermostat. The air intake ducts can be removed by loosening 2 clamps with flathead screwdriver, the one on the aluminum intake and the one on the plastic duct near front. Compress them a little, that is why they look like an accordian, and lift up. Be sure to first remove the electrical connector to the thingy under the duck(air flow sensor or some such nonsense). Job should take no more than 20 minutes. enjoy.....
Old 12-20-2004, 09:48 PM
JA94vette
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to jack the front end up a little to get my bucket it up under there. There is a drain valve on the lower right of the radiatior if you are looking at the back of it. Just unscrew...and thats about it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Are you going to replace it with a standard 180 degree stat from an auto parts store or with a high dollar "corvette" stat? Whats the difference?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Blk-94
Instructor

Whatever you do, make sure it's the correct thermostat, not the Autozone Chevy 350 fit's all, ours are very different.
Do a forum search, I believe someone has uploaded pictures of the wrong and correct types..

Good Luck.

Last edited by Blk-94; 12-20-2004 at 11:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To how to change the thermostat in an lt1

Quick Reply: how to change the thermostat in an lt1