C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:23 PM
lloyd430
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage

Just picked up my 1st 1993 c4.Getting ready to store it soon in Mass cold weather approaching. Garage is not heated im a little concerned about mice. Seen allot of ideas on how to keep them away from the car. Alway interested in more ideas. Also how much stabilzer do I add to a full tank.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2014, 08:29 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

grew up in rural michigan...we kept outside cats...kept the mice down...however, sliced and diced a few on cold mornings in the daily driver..
Old 10-15-2014, 08:43 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

mothballs in a soda flat under the car seems to have helped although I do keep poison feeders and sticky traps throughout the pole barn.

Just fill it up with fuel, don't fret about the stabilizer.

Hook up your Battery Tender, toss on your Auto Chic or Covercraft cover and while away the winter.

If you think you need to start it during the winter lay-up, don't, unless you can get it out and drive it. It would be Important to get the trans and diff warmed up just like the engine, if you want to go that route.

Not necessary, it sat on transit and dealer lots for much of its life when new.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:49 PM
lloyd430
Intermediate

thanks what do you mean on soda flat under the car.
Sorry just want to get it straight.
I heard dryer sheets in the car and on the tire tops help what do you think about that idea.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:15 PM
corgasm
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default storage

After having mice chew just about every small wire in my '92 some years ago (causing many $$ in repairs) the only foolproof protection (to me) is a car capsule. Even with that I still have glue traps, spring traps, moth *****, and Mouse-Away (peppermint leaves in a large tea bag). Dryer sheets lose their odor fairly quickly, rendering them useless. I've also heard of using urine soaked cat litter and coyote urine (predators). I admit it, I am obsessed beyond any rationality.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:22 PM
lloyd430
Intermediate

Originally Posted by corgasm
After having mice chew just about every small wire in my '92 some years ago (causing many $$ in repairs) the only foolproof protection (to me) is a car capsule. Even with that I still have glue traps, spring traps, moth *****, and Mouse-Away (peppermint leaves in a large tea bag). Dryer sheets lose their odor fairly quickly, rendering them useless. I've also heard of using urine soaked cat litter and coyote urine (predators). I admit it, I am obsessed beyond any rationality.
Thanks just seeking all avenues
Old 10-15-2014, 09:33 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

I live in MA too. I don't have mice in my shop, but I do in my shed. Some swear by the electronic pest chaser things. In my shed I put out several tubs of poison, that seems to keep them from being a problem for long. I put stabil in a full tank, put a battery maintainer on it, and cover it. I have a few classics and I've never had a problem in the spring.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:00 PM
lloyd430
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jv9999
I live in MA too. I don't have mice in my shop, but I do in my shed. Some swear by the electronic pest chaser things. In my shed I put out several tubs of poison, that seems to keep them from being a problem for long. I put stabil in a full tank, put a battery maintainer on it, and cover it. I have a few classics and I've never had a problem in the spring.
Thanks how much stabilizer in a full tank do you recommend.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:14 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by lloyd430
Thanks how much stabilizer in a full tank do you recommend.
Whatever the bottle recommendation is. I think it's 1 OZ per 2.5 gals.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an electronic device that will keep animals away from your barn, shed, garage, whatever you may have. I don't remember the name exactly but in Ca they use it to keep seagulls away from restaurants. The unit sells for about $600.00 and will keep a 3000 sq. ft area clear of rodents. They also have bigger units for bigger facilities. I think the name of it is "Pest Rid" or something like that. You can google it for getting rid of pests and it will come up. Unit is complete with sender and 3 receivers.
Tommy
Old 10-16-2014, 12:24 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I heard dryer sheets in the car and on the tire tops help what do you think about that idea.
Bounce in particular. I and many of my friends have used it inside the car with great success. Moth ***** inside a stocking seem to do a good job under the hood as well.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:40 AM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks what do you mean on soda flat under the car.
Sorry just want to get it straight.
A soda flat (to me) is the cardboard box that a case of canned cokes comes in. Low sides, but great for dumping in some moth ***** and sliding it under the car w/o making a mess.

Other post about dryer sheets is true, they lose their aroma pretty quick.

I stored my cars while wintering in CT for the 10 years I lived there. Biggest problem was keeping moisture under control when Spring started coming around. Winter would thaw all day and then everything would refreeze at night.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:38 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

for the 3 months your going to store it stablizer isnt nessisary. If your going to put it away for more then a year id look at using it though. I just wash and clean it good hook up a batery tender and cover it. I like to start my stored vehicles a couple times during the winter to keep seals from drying out. I even run the ac for a few minutes for the same reason. as to mice ive tried moth ***** and they didnt help. I put sticky traps all around and inside the car if theres mice and check them when i start the car.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

After trying all of the above and still having mice camp out in my car for the winter, I used Fresh Cab the last few years and had no problem. You could see a few droppings, but they didn't stay which is Ideal. No dead mice in your car from poison.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get an electronic pest chaser that you plug into an outlet. It worked for me, five years pest free
Old 10-17-2014, 06:59 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Here's a great little item someone invented......WW

Old 10-17-2014, 09:08 AM
RIPJWB
Advanced

Just picked up my 1st 1993 c4.Getting ready to store it soon in Mass cold weather approaching. Garage is not heated im a little concerned about mice. Seen allot of ideas on how to keep them away from the car. Alway interested in more ideas. Also how much stabilzer do I add to a full tank.

Thanks
I hate dem meeses to pieces! Thanks buddy! now you have me paranoid about mice as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Storage

Old 10-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Home made mouse trap:

Old 10-17-2014, 11:50 AM
RIPJWB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Churchkey
That is cool.. The best part is how patient the man is with his son while making the trap. (assuming dad/son)

You could keep the mice live and release them by your neighbor's house that has the Mustang.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Rockcrushervette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a lot of work must suck to have to park a car for winter !

Quick Reply: Winter Storage