C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Engine Rebuild Rip Off

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 11:59 PM
satansvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild Rip Off

I'm hoping I can obtain some advice from some of you with regards to problems resulting from an engine rebuild from a Chevrolet dealer.

It has now been 7 mos after I have paid my local Chevrolet dealer apprx $8,500.00 for an engine rebuild for my 1985 Corvette. The problems are extensive and now, they simply ignore my requests to finish the job. At last attempt, I left my vette there for 5 weeks and they simply refuse to spend any more time on it. Very strange behavior which makes me feel as though they simply don't know how to correct the problems combine wih no tech wanting to devote any time on a return.

Over the years I have spent over $30,000 with this dealer and I have seen the ownership change 5 times from various problems. I have always been a "well liked" customer, never demanded more than what was due me and have been extremely patient and thhe service writers have always conveyed their appreciation for my business.

However, now... after I have paid them for this last project, they care not for any problems resulting form their incompetence. I've e mailed GM and asked for their help but they seem not to care. I can see where this is going and that is to a small claims court case which I would really like to avoid.

Should I go to another dealer and have to spend another thousand to two thousand dollars to correct these problems? Why does GM care so little what their private dealers do... after all the private dealers are using the GM name...!?

Mark
Old 11-11-2004, 12:10 AM
aeronautica86
Melting Slicks

i think you're looking for a L A W Y E R
Old 11-11-2004, 12:16 AM
Getzen88
Safety Car

get a card of a good lawyer, go in there and give it to them (owner)...say if the car is not to your liking you'll be hearing from this office...just what i'd do

Mike
Old 11-11-2004, 12:17 AM
satansvette
Intermediate

Ya.... I think you may be right!
Old 11-11-2004, 12:23 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I had a boat dealer rip me off in Michigan once. He took my Boston Whaler in trade on a new Baja and never paid off my loan on the Whaler! After a few polite calls and letters I went to the State Police and put in a complaint for grand theft. When the trooper showed up at his door he couldn't grab his check book fast enough. Worked for me.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:19 AM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
Old 11-11-2004, 01:46 AM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kenv
I am very sorry to hear that. At this point I think you need to contact an attorney and have him make a phone call to this dealership. Who knows, that's maybe all they need to finish the job.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:50 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default I would contact a.....

I would contact a"civil litigation" attorney. They will charge you for the letter they write and am sure you will get solution to your problem. They will probably demand specific performance or total rebate of the rebuild. Do this before the dealership changes hands again. I hate all dealerships. Can you say "white collar crime".
Old 11-11-2004, 10:06 AM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Wow... That is a boat load of cash to spend at one place... and for an engine rebuild!!! What kind of problems are you experiencing? I was always aprehensive about going to dealers until I spent $1200 on an alternator for my Trans Am at local small repair shops. I took it to the dealer and they found a bad ground wire in the dash that was causing my problems.

Before you go with the lawyer yet, call the Better Business Bureau and file a claim with them and see if there are any more on file. If there are others with similar complaints, it will give you more ammunition during your case explanation with an attorney. What ever you do... best of luck to you.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:40 AM
rstackjd
Drifting

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
You definately want to seek counsel right away. I don't know what your statutes are there in OR but keep in mind that a clock is ticking - the dealer may be just stringing you out waiting for a time limit to run.

If you have not put your complaints in writing, DO IT NOW - send it to the dealer certified mail, return receipt requested - be very specific about the original problem, the work you had them do, the costs, the current problems, and all of the steps you've taken with them to rectify the problem so far. Include dates and copies of documentation if possible. DO NOT, under any circumstance, turn over original documentation (receipts, warranty, etc.) to anyone other than your own attorney.

Finally, "CC" the letter to the local media (most communities have at least one TV station with a "consumer assistance" type department, as well as to the BBB.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:48 AM
ryde12003
Advanced

...besides the lawyers the local media is a great avenue to look into..I have had occassion to deal in this manner with a "local" engine rebuild co." and had many problems they would not resolve..I also contacted the State attorney generals Office (NY) and recieved assistance from them with all your documentation and attorneys,media etc. you should have no problems getting the service you deserve..
best of luck..
Old 11-11-2004, 10:51 AM
1Patriot
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't waste your time with the BBB, most are just a joint admiration society for white collar crooks. Social club for licensed business ripoff artist
Old 11-11-2004, 10:59 AM
rstackjd
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1Patriot
Don't waste your time with the BBB, most are just a joint admiration society for white collar crooks. Social club for licensed business ripoff artist
While I might not have put it quite so strongly, generally - but in some markets they actually do some good. It doesn't hurt to add them to your list, but certianly don't expect much.

And yes, the State AG Consumer Affairs Division is probably a good place to CC the letter too.

Good luck

Old 11-11-2004, 12:16 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by satansvette
I'm hoping I can obtain some advice from some of you with regards to problems resulting from an engine rebuild from a Chevrolet dealer.

It has now been 7 mos after I have paid my local Chevrolet dealer apprx $8,500.00 for an engine rebuild for my 1985 Corvette. The problems are extensive and now, they simply ignore my requests to finish the job. At last attempt, I left my vette there for 5 weeks and they simply refuse to spend any more time on it. Very strange behavior which makes me feel as though they simply don't know how to correct the problems combine wih no tech wanting to devote any time on a return.

Over the years I have spent over $30,000 with this dealer and I have seen the ownership change 5 times from various problems. I have always been a "well liked" customer, never demanded more than what was due me and have been extremely patient and thhe service writers have always conveyed their appreciation for my business.

However, now... after I have paid them for this last project, they care not for any problems resulting form their incompetence. I've e mailed GM and asked for their help but they seem not to care. I can see where this is going and that is to a small claims court case which I would really like to avoid.

Should I go to another dealer and have to spend another thousand to two thousand dollars to correct these problems? Why does GM care so little what their private dealers do... after all the private dealers are using the GM name...!?

Mark
Dealerships are expensive to be sure.
After 7 months they're not going to reslove this problem.
An attorney isn't a bad idea. Small claims is your best bet, $8500 isn't a small claim though.

Find a good Corvette shop in Portland and let them sort it out.
Get an estimate in writing before any repair work is done.
Outside of getting an attorney and small claims you're going to have eat the bullet on this one.

Last car that i had repaired I had to re-do all the work myself.
Doing it yourself is a short cut.
Good luck.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:23 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1Patriot
WELL SAID!
Look at the AG's web "complaints" page for your state. Several AG's list fraud complaints by type...Auto repair (including used and new auto deaters) rank near the top. Dealers usually ignore complaints of your size until they are forced to "belly-up". Here's the AG's site for Oregon: http://www.doj.state.or.us/FinFraud/top_ten.htm
GM is of little if any value in cases like yours because they take the position that their dealers are independent business enities.
Document your history well and prepare to take action legally...probably too large a claim for Small Claims Court.

Last edited by ZRWON; 11-11-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:25 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

I wouldn't trust a dealer to change the oil in my vette

but yeah- give your story to a good lawyer
Old 11-11-2004, 12:57 PM
satansvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redwing76
Dealerships are expensive to be sure.
After 7 months they're not going to reslove this problem.
An attorney isn't a bad idea. Small claims is your best bet, $8500 isn't a small claim though.

Find a good Corvette shop in Portland and let them sort it out.
Get an estimate in writing before any repair work is done.
Outside of getting an attorney and small claims you're going to have eat the bullet on this one.

Last car that i had repaired I had to re-do all the work myself.
Doing it yourself is a short cut.
Good luck.
I think you're righht on the money. At first and after ALL the trips taking the vette back to them for various other problems, I don't even want them touching it. Small claims max here is 5,000 and I might have to just eat the rest... I tell ya... what a nightmare!

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Rebuild Rip Off

Old 11-11-2004, 01:29 PM
John Robinson
Racer

Default Belly up to the bar (Lawyer)

I agree with the others who suggest a lawyer. In my experience the first visit is free and if they do anything it's usually on a by the hour basis. However in your case When you win the dealer will have to pay the lawyer. Dot your T's and cross you I's with paper and more paper etc. The better you document the case the better your chances are to get resolved to your satisfaction. After many months of wrangling with JC Penney I had a lawyer wright a letter on his stationary for me. Guess what I got a personnel letter from the CEO of JC Penney and two other VP's with checks and apoligies from all. Hang in there
Old 11-11-2004, 08:42 PM
GOOG
Instructor

Default small claims

If I were in your shoes I would get a quote from a reputable/capable shop, for whatever needs to be straihgtened out, and send it to the dealership and let them know that you expect them to pay for these repairs to either correct or complete their job. I can't believe this will be anywhere near the $8,500.00 you originally paid. So your claim is not going to be for the whole amount it should be for what ever the new quote is. I would at least consult an attorney, he could give you very valuable advise on how to prepare to take this thing to court, and if need be I would definitely take them to court.

Tom
Old 11-11-2004, 08:59 PM
richdwyer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kwik_ta

Before you go with the lawyer yet, call the Better Business Bureau and file a claim with them and see if there are any more on file. If there are others with similar complaints, it will give you more ammunition during your case explanation with an attorney. What ever you do... best of luck to you.

I had trouble with a home warranty not paying up and giving me excuses why they wouldn't cover things they warranteed.I contacted the BBB, warranty company contacted me and amazingly sent me a check. Best of all, the BBB is a free service and can be done online. Can't hurt. Best of luck Rich

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild Rip Off