C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette shopping etiquette lesson wanted

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 06:38 AM
coltcarbine
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvette shopping etiquette lesson wanted

Give me some advice on Corvette shopping. What not to do is really what I need to know.

I am going to start "looking" at Corvettes, obviously before I buy one.

I am under the impression that any Vette owner is picky about how a potential buyer "handles" their baby.
Is this right, or am I off base and should treat a Vette like buying any other car?

Yes, I'll be "tire kicking".
Yes, I'll want to drive it.
Yes, I"ll want to see if all the goodies work.

Just give me some input!

Thanks.
cc
Old 11-05-2004, 07:31 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

A Corvette is a car just like any other except for some reason, people don't like to drive them, and when they do, they don't drive them properly. If you go for a test drive(if a test drive isn't allowed, walk away) and the seller doesn't want you to open her up, that means he's probably hiding something. Garage queens will most likely fall apart on a proper test drive.

If he lets you do burnouts and drive the car hard, that shows he has nothing to hide and the car should be reliable.

Check everything before and after the test drive.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:40 AM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
A Corvette is a car just like any other except for some reason, people don't like to drive them, and when they do, they don't drive them properly. If you go for a test drive(if a test drive isn't allowed, walk away) and the seller doesn't want you to open her up, that means he's probably hiding something. Garage queens will most likely fall apart on a proper test drive.

If he lets you do burnouts and drive the car hard, that shows he has nothing to hide and the car should be reliable.

Check everything before and after the test drive.

I tore mine up on the test drive, the owner took my to an industrial area to test it he even said "HIT THIS B*TCH" so thats just what I did, trac control on I hit it so hard I think I dented the floorboard, tires chirped and left... brought it to almost 100mph before I let off because I didn't want wreck this guys car. Needless to say I bought it.

Old 11-05-2004, 07:49 AM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by coltcarbine
Give me some advice on Corvette shopping. What not to do is really what I need to know.
I am going to start "looking" at Corvettes, obviously before I buy one.
I am under the impression that any Vette owner is picky about how a potential buyer "handles" their baby.
Is this right, or am I off base and should treat a Vette like buying any other car?
Just give me some input!
Thanks. cc
I usually ask the owner to take me for a test ride to demo the car first then following his lead, drive it myself. If his drive hides anything that's suspicious, I ask him about it when I do my drive, i.e. you think you hear a strange sound in the drive train but aren't sure because the radio is too loud. Shut the radio off and wind it up an a couple gears to see if you really hear anything serious. A proud owner will probably want to "DRIVE" his Vette harder than you might on your 1st test drive. Most Vette owners want to show you what a real VETTE can do!Even a Garage/Trailer Queen can be put thru the paces or it's probably not what you'd want to buy unless you just want a Vette for an art object to admire in your garage or at car shows. Good luck and enjoy the VETTE hobby...it's a great "life style"!

Last edited by ZRWON; 11-05-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:14 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I agree. As long as you show them you've got cash, They should have no problem letting you drive it. Don't let them tell you 'left here, left here...Let it get warm and drive it for awhile. I discovered while test driving mine theres a brake pedal and grab handle somewhere on the pass. side. Understandable if there are some who are hesitant to let you drive it. There are too many theives and too many kids who just want to beat on someone's car.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:05 AM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

Take your time. Have fun. Use common sense.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:33 AM
scofolo
Burning Brakes

When I went on my first test drive in the corvette that i eventually bought, the salesman told me to get on it once we reached a secluded area. I was pretty nervous because up until then, I had only driven jeeps. I did get on it and had a big the rest of the day. I looked at others but could never forget the feeling of that first one that I drove. I went back and bought it.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:46 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I test drove any that weren't garbage.

One of em in fact, I got there right as the guy was leaving, talked to his wife mostly. She tossed me the keys and she didn't even come with! I had a friend ride shotgun. Something tells me she was anxious to get rid of it.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

When buying any car, the 1st put it thru an inspection [like the state inspection], see if everything works.

Because its a Corvette, don't fall in love with the looks, love is blind.
Look at it objectively.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:09 AM
loiq
Team Owner

Cash talks.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:18 AM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought mine - the lady handed me the keys and said "Don't get lost". I drove it for over an hour, stopped at a bank to get a cashiers check for the price of the car, took care of the paper work with the owner, and then drove it 6 hrs home. I've been in love ever since.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:48 AM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TM-96CE
When I bought mine - the lady handed me the keys and said "Don't get lost". I drove it for over an hour, stopped at a bank to get a cashiers check for the price of the car, took care of the paper work with the owner, and then drove it 6 hrs home. I've been in love ever since.
Now *that's* a story!!! I test drove mine as well...The guy was very forgiving of my lack of "finesse" with the clutch to say the least! All in all, it worked out. I guess my best advice for you, assuming you're going to people's homes to look at their car, would be to be polite and respectful of the owner and his/her car (it's not yours *yet*, even if you know it's "the one"), ask intelligent questions (i.e., come across as a fellow 'Vette enthusiast, not just a "tire kicker"), and feel out the situation. If the guy is being a royal d**k - even if the car seems straight - I'll usually walk. I don't give my business to people who don't treat me with respect.

Other than that, just get out there and start your search! Don't be anxious to jump on the first decent-looking car that comes along. When you find "the one", you'll know. Trust me, we all did...
Old 11-05-2004, 11:56 AM
brookman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do like I did. I went looking and fell in love with a basket case.
If you can - befriend someone that owns one and have him/her go with you to look for all the typical things that are wrong.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Try to narrow down the year group you are interested in and get smart on that year group. Here's what I mean, 92-96 be knowledgable about the opti-spark, water pump and oil leaks. Know about plug wires. If possible, go to a place that has a good lift for Vettes and take a look at the entire undercarrige. 6 speeds, look for oil drips at the bell housing, this can lead to an early clutch R&R. Don't be too troubled by after market mods, but make sure they are done professionally. Looking for that perfect Vette is lots of fun. Most of all make sure you know the value of that year group. However some Vettes are just so nice that they will bring in a larger price. Remember, you don't buy a Vette to make money, you buy it to have fun.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:29 PM
coltcarbine
Burning Brakes

great stories and advice!
thanks and keep it coming.
cc
Old 11-05-2004, 01:33 PM
1Patriot
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shopping for a Corvette is just like shopping for any other used car. Everything must be tight and look tight and smell and feel tight. If you see something that is questionable then walk. But don't look at a car in the dark or under bright lights and do drive the car where the roadway is quiet and listen carefully when driving, with windows down and radio and AC off and on. And after the drive, use your nose carefully all around the car and feel for items that should not be hot but don't try to open the radiator. And look at the tires, rather than kicking them. And also ask for maintenance records if that is important to you.

If the seller ask for your insurance card and drivers license before you drive the car, do not be insulted if this is a private owner.

If you do deceide to buy, you may want to put it on a rack before the final decision.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TM-96CE

And she is pretty.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette shopping etiquette lesson wanted

Old 11-05-2004, 02:28 PM
drvn2fast
Melting Slicks

boy did i get lucky with mine. my father had owned it for the last 10yrs, so i knew what had been done to it,how it was driven, all the good stuff.he sold it to me dirt cheap, 5k is all i paid.it has needed some work, some of which i have done to make it more to my satisfaction. i do agree though, if you can't drive, don't buy it.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:27 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I usually ask the owner to take me for a test ride to demo the car first then following his lead, drive it myself. If his drive hides anything that's suspicious, I ask him about it when I do my drive, i.e. you think you hear a strange sound in the drive train but aren't sure because the radio is too loud. Shut the radio off and wind it up an a couple gears to see if you really hear anything serious. A proud owner will probably want to "DRIVE" his Vette harder than you might on your 1st test drive. Most Vette owners want to show you what a real VETTE can do!Even a Garage/Trailer Queen can be put thru the paces or it's probably not what you'd want to buy unless you just want a Vette for an art object to admire in your garage or at car shows. Good luck and enjoy the VETTE hobby...it's a great "life style"![/QUOTE]

This is the best method.

I laugh about Trailer Queens blowing up - give me a break

Doing burnouts on a test drive -

Nobody would do burnouts in my Vettes unless I had cash in my hand.

What happens if the clutch decides to let go or the throwout bearing?
You going tell the owner - " oh well **** happens - here is your car back, I'm not interested its a POS Trailer Queen?

You can put a Corvette through the paces without doing a bunch of burnouts. Can the car take it - yes. Does it eventually takes it toll on the driveline components and body - definately

I would drive it through the RPM range both full throttle and 3/4 and look out for a "skip" or "miss" that is the tell tale sign that usually the opti is headed south. Also, watch the idle, a rough idling or inconsistent can also mean an opti.

As long as driveline and all mechanicals are sound be on the lookout for worn leather seats, Worn Weatherstrip, Bose Radio Cd Player, leaking water pump at weep hole, bad opti, alternator, AC Compressor/Clutch.
AC/Heater control unit. These are all $ dollar items. If you are new to Vettes, I would look at 5-10 Vettes unless you just spot a cream puff - you will know when you see it as well. Get all of the cars maintenance records.
Pull dipstick, check oil color and level, check radiator reserve tank and color of fluid, Check for oil leaks - LT1's are known for them - check around intake manifold especially front and rear. I suggest you do a compression check on each cylinder - bring it to a shop of need be - well worth $100.

Good Luck- just remember most people overpay on their first Vette.
There are lots of rough cars out there - don't overpay and get someone elses nightmare.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 11-06-2004 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:33 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I laugh about Trailer Queens blowing up - give me a break

Doing burnouts on a test drive -

Nobody would do burnouts in my car unless I had cash in my hand.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Abuse somebody else's car with burnouts, no.

Get on it hard to see if it works right, yes.

Same applies whether it's a corvette or a chevette.

Quick Reply: Corvette shopping etiquette lesson wanted