Keisler 5-speed For C4 - Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keisler 5-speed For C4 - Now Available

Listers,

Our company has just released our latest offering for Corvette enthusiasts - the KEISLER 5-SPEED for C4 Corvette. This transmission system, like our extremely popular C1/C2/C3 kits, will revolutionize the drivetrain in your C4 Vette. Based on our custom engineered version of the TREMEC TKO 5-speed overdrive transmission, we have designed the a COMPLETE, BOLT-IN REPLACEMENT for the Doug Nash 4+3 found in 1984-1988 Corvette.
Here are some popular features:
1. STOCK ORIGINAL SHIFTER LOCATION - the shift lever comes out through the original console hole and leather boot, as original. Your car will retain a stock appearance
2. COMPLETE KIT - everything is included - from new 550 or 650 FT-LB rated transmission, torque arm bracket, driveshaft slip yoke to all of the small parts in the fitting kit, including electronic speedo calibration module. You will have everything you need to convert your Vette.
3. EASY INSTALL - we have designed the transmission conversion for the D-I-Y limited experience mechanic.
4. SUPER DUTY - based on the tried and true TREMEC TKO, you can now build your Vette to new performance standards, without concern of breaking your transmission. We have many customers with over 650FT-LB torque running these transmissions. PLUS, the shift quality is simply incredible! AND, no overdrive buttons to push!
5. CUSTOMER SERVICE, TECH SUPPORT, INSTALLATION - With over 20 employees, 13 years in the business and the largest supplier of overdrive manual transmission systems in the business, we have the support staff to help you with your install. We have numerous installation centers throughout the country that can provide the work for you in a timely manner, including our local installation shop at B&M Automotive (865.922.7111, Bob Marshall).
6. LOW COST - at $2995, you will invest less money in a brand new Keisler transmission system than completely rebuilding your DNE 4+3. Many DNE owners have reported they have rebuilt their transmission 3 times already, at costs ranging from $1500-3200, plus labor. Your KEISLER 5-SPEED will pay for itself in a short period of time.

We debuted the kit at the Corvettes at Carlisle show, and this weekend's Knoxville Corvette EXPO. Chris Petris, technical editor for Corvette Fever, drove the car this weekend and said that this will be "the single best improvement for C4 Corvette owner with the problematic DNE 4+3 transmission," and he further stated "The product is, without a doubt, a home run." An '88 black autocross roadster is on display at the Knoxville Corvette EXPO. Look for tech articles on the transmission product and installation to be coming out in CORVETTE FEVER and CORVETTE ENTHUSIAST magazines.

And for you ZF 6-speed owners tired of speeding $4000 on a rebuild, we will also have a KEISLER 6-SPEED (double overdrive) kit for the C4 Vette. Again, it will offer stock shifter location.

And for automatic C4 owners, you will be able to convert your car to KEISLER 5 or 6-speed, at reasonably low cost.

Please see our detailed information for the C4 kit on our website www.keislerauto.com/gm and call us.

Shafi Keisler, Keisler Engineering Inc.
Corvette Forum Sponsor
www.keislerauto.com/gm
865.609.8187 x1
Old 10-17-2004, 12:21 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Keisler Automotive
Listers,

Our company has just released our latest offering for Corvette enthusiasts - the KEISLER 5-SPEED for C4 Corvette. This transmission system, like our extremely popular C1/C2/C3 kits, will revolutionize the drivetrain in your C4 Vette. Based on our custom engineered version of the TREMEC TKO 5-speed overdrive transmission, we have designed the a COMPLETE, BOLT-IN REPLACEMENT for the Doug Nash 4+3 found in 1984-1988 Corvette.
Here are some popular features:
1. STOCK ORIGINAL SHIFTER LOCATION - the shift lever comes out through the original console hole and leather boot, as original. Your car will retain a stock appearance
2. COMPLETE KIT - everything is included - from new 550 or 650 FT-LB rated transmission, torque arm bracket, driveshaft slip yoke to all of the small parts in the fitting kit, including electronic speedo calibration module. You will have everything you need to convert your Vette.
3. EASY INSTALL - we have designed the transmission conversion for the D-I-Y limited experience mechanic.
4. SUPER DUTY - based on the tried and true TREMEC TKO, you can now build your Vette to new performance standards, without concern of breaking your transmission. We have many customers with over 650FT-LB torque running these transmissions. PLUS, the shift quality is simply incredible! AND, no overdrive buttons to push!
5. CUSTOMER SERVICE, TECH SUPPORT, INSTALLATION - With over 20 employees, 13 years in the business and the largest supplier of overdrive manual transmission systems in the business, we have the support staff to help you with your install. We have numerous installation centers throughout the country that can provide the work for you in a timely manner, including our local installation shop at B&M Automotive (865.922.7111, Bob Marshall).
6. LOW COST - at $2995, you will invest less money in a brand new Keisler transmission system than completely rebuilding your DNE 4+3. Many DNE owners have reported they have rebuilt their transmission 3 times already, at costs ranging from $1500-3200, plus labor. Your KEISLER 5-SPEED will pay for itself in a short period of time.

We debuted the kit at the Corvettes at Carlisle show, and this weekend's Knoxville Corvette EXPO. Chris Petris, technical editor for Corvette Fever, drove the car this weekend and said that this will be "the single best improvement for C4 Corvette owner with the problematic DNE 4+3 transmission," and he further stated "The product is, without a doubt, a home run." An '88 black autocross roadster is on display at the Knoxville Corvette EXPO. Look for tech articles on the transmission product and installation to be coming out in CORVETTE FEVER and CORVETTE ENTHUSIAST magazines.

And for you ZF 6-speed owners tired of speeding $4000 on a rebuild, we will also have a KEISLER 6-SPEED (double overdrive) kit for the C4 Vette. Again, it will offer stock shifter location.

And for automatic C4 owners, you will be able to convert your car to KEISLER 5 or 6-speed, at reasonably low cost.

Please see our detailed information for the C4 kit on our website www.keislerauto.com/gm and call us.

Corvette Forum Sponsor
www.keislerauto.com/gm
865.609.8187 x1
Finally!
Old 10-17-2004, 11:01 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I can change my 87 automatic to a 6-speed?!!! Lord amighty - you are going to get some of my mod money yesiree!
Old 10-17-2004, 11:28 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
I can change my 87 automatic to a 6-speed?!!! Lord amighty - you are going to get some of my mod money yesiree!
You've always been able to. The ZF6 swap is a popular one. Keep in mind the 6-speed mentioned above won't be a "drop in" into a 4+3 car.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:09 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitly gonna be doing that when my 4+3 dies
Old 10-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Getzen88
Safety Car

Default went to the site

i went to the site because it sparked my intrest...i have one question and one request/coment...

first the question: why offer a five speed? would the six speed be a direct fit for the stock 4+3?

and my request/comment: that chart at the bottom compairs the fifth gear "overdrive" to the forth gear of the 4+3 with the overdrive off (ratio at 1:1). it just caught me off guard when i saw the crusing RPM at 2000 and my car is only going 57, had to look twice and then take the car out to double check...

just little things that eeked me...

Mike
Old 10-18-2004, 02:01 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Getzen88
i went to the site because it sparked my intrest...i have one question and one request/coment...

first the question: why offer a five speed? would the six speed be a direct fit for the stock 4+3?
I can answer this one! The 4+3 for all its high techness, is only a 5 speed...

and my request/comment: that chart at the bottom compairs the fifth gear "overdrive" to the forth gear of the 4+3 with the overdrive off (ratio at 1:1). it just caught me off guard when i saw the crusing RPM at 2000 and my car is only going 57, had to look twice and then take the car out to double check...

just little things that eeked me...

Mike
I see what you mean... they are comparing 4th (1:1) to 5th, .68:1, apples and oranges. They should have compared this in 4th+1.

Last edited by bogus; 10-18-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:07 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like a great product, and I will consider one if/when my 4+3 gives out.

It's too bad that your advertising so heavily emphasizes the rpm/mileage/wear improvement over the 4+3, when your claim is false.

The MH5 4+3 has a .59:1 overdrive unit, (and the MK2 4+3 has a .68:1 overdrive) What I'm saying is, that you are either misinformed, or trying to mislead your customers on your 'taller' overdrive gear. Personally, overdrive ratio and fuel economy aren't a big concerns for me... but a straight-shooting vendor is. It leads me to wonder how true the 'simple tunnel modification' is.

Improvements in reliability should be a big enough selling point. And with some lab testing, I'm sure you could show that your unit has less drivetrain losses than a 4+3, which means more RWHP, and that would be another big selling point.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:13 PM
marlon88
Racer

If this transmission handles all the power that you give it that`s all that we need then ! Who is going to spend $3000 to his corvette to get better gas milage

Power is what we want
Old 10-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Ray383
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would I buy this kit for $3k when I could have a bolt is Richmond 6speed for the same price?

I'm not trying to be an azz, just asking a real question.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:58 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray383
Why would I buy this kit for $3k when I could have a bolt is Richmond 6speed for the same price?

I personally think the Tremec is a better box than the Richmond.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:30 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

FWIW, a friend of mine has a Tremec 6-speed....

and he had a leak for 6 months, and ran it dry, (because he's a moron). The tranny locked up on him on the freeway, and dragged the rear wheels for 60 yards or so...

Got it towed back, filled it up with fluid, and some Lucas.... and it works good as new! I think the heat from that incident welded his fill plug shut though! We had to refill it through the shifter snout.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

Scorp508,

That is correct, neither the ZF 6-speed nor our Tremec T56 kit will not be a direct replacement for the 4+3 - some changes will be required such as shorter driveshaft, etc. The components will be included, as normal to our kits.

www.keislerauto.com/gm
Old 10-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

Mike,

The 5-speed offers basically similar gearing throughout the range, and we feel it is the most cost effective solution for C4 owners with the 4+3. The 5-speed does everything you need it to, plus more.

The 6-speed is longer, and therefore requires driveshaft change or modification. We will have the 6-speed kit out soon.

You are correct about the 1:1 comparison not being equal. This is a change we will make to the C4 page shortly. Our web designers are aware of the problem.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:49 AM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

CentralCoaster,

Thank you for your feedback. I agree, the page has some information based on our pre-1982 Corvette products. We carried it over without eliminating the references to economy. The main features and selling points of the transmission are the items I listed in my original post. I don't mention fuel economy, but I do mention durability and lower maintenance costs.

We will make the changes to the text, along with the speed calculator changes for DNE vs TREMEC TKO.

Thanks again
Old 10-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

Originally Posted by Ray383

Good question. Here's 3 reasons to choose our Keisler/Tremec kit over a Richmond 6:
1. stronger transmission - at 550 and 650ft-lbs, our transmission has more torque capacity
2. far better shift quality - external linkage died with the DNE 4+3. ALL modern transmissions use some form of internal rail shift linkage, including the ZF.
3. better product support - Tremec is the largest North American supplier of manual transmission. All C5 & C6 Corvettes that run a manual transmission are Tremecs. Parts availability, ease of rebuild and low cost of ownership are just several factors why you will have better product support from a Tremec transmission

We can share more reasons with you by phone, if you wish. Please call.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:07 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Great! I'm just trying to be constructive. Forum members, including me, are always very when new products come out. Lots of gold digger businesses prey on us.

External shift linkage, I agree, is garbage.... at least what GM built it. They didn't even add in any shifter stops.

Does this work with my stock hydraulic system? I see pics of one on your site, but that may just be for the automatic changeover.

Get notified of new replies

To Keisler 5-speed For C4 - Now Available

Old 10-20-2004, 01:48 AM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Great! I'm just trying to be constructive. Forum members, including me, are always very when new products come out. Lots of gold digger businesses prey on us.

External shift linkage, I agree, is garbage.... at least what GM built it. They didn't even add in any shifter stops.

Does this work with my stock hydraulic system? I see pics of one on your site, but that may just be for the automatic changeover.
CentralCoaster,

Our kit is complete for a changeover from DNE 4+3. It uses your stock bell, flywheel, clutch, hydraulics. You don't even have to pull off your bellhousing if you have already confirmed it's runout is OK to the crank.
In fact, our kit even reuses the original driveshaft, but with a slip yoke change.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:54 AM
Getzen88
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Keisler Automotive
Mike,

The 5-speed offers basically similar gearing throughout the range, and we feel it is the most cost effective solution for C4 owners with the 4+3. The 5-speed does everything you need it to, plus more.

The 6-speed is longer, and therefore requires driveshaft change or modification. We will have the 6-speed kit out soon.

You are correct about the 1:1 comparison not being equal. This is a change we will make to the C4 page shortly. Our web designers are aware of the problem.
Thanks a lot for the response...i will definatly keep ya'll in mind when my 4+3 goes out...seems like you really have your act togeather...that's a good thing

Mike

PS i threw the ya'll in there to make you feel at home...
Old 10-20-2004, 10:24 AM
loflite
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you done any conversions from auto to 6 speed yet? I've got a '95. What would you have to do with the computer to make this change? I'm assuming you would have to change the rear end also as GM has a beefier rear for their manual tranny. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Keisler 5-speed For C4 - Now Available