Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Heater & AC vents not working right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:02 AM
JJ77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater & AC vents not working right?

I have a 1996 Vette.

I get heat and AC out of the defrost and the floor vents but not out of the dash vents when I put the controls on the dash vent mode. When I put the dash vents on, I still only get air flow out of the defrost and floor vents.

Why would I not get air flow out of the dash vents when it is in this mode?

Thanks,
JJ
Old 09-23-2004, 06:50 AM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JJ77
I have a 1996 Vette.

I get heat and AC out of the defrost and the floor vents but not out of the dash vents when I put the controls on the dash vent mode. When I put the dash vents on, I still only get air flow out of the defrost and floor vents.

Why would I not get air flow out of the dash vents when it is in this mode?

Thanks,
JJ
i have exactly the same issue with my 96
Old 09-23-2004, 06:28 PM
flannel_man
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Old 09-23-2004, 08:27 PM
BUTCHANDHIS96C4
Cruising

Default two things

This is usually caused by a vacuum leak.

The first thing I would check is the vacuum "T" under the passenger side fuel rail cover. The part is about 6 bucks and is usually in stock @ the chevy parts dept. It's made of plastic (stupid, should be some other material that can resist heat damage like aluminum) and will disintegrate with time. Pull the cover off and it's easy to spot.

The second is a leak @ the controller which is under the dash on the driver's side. If it's this, it could be bad / leaky lines or the controller itself going bad. Get a shop manual it you find that it needs replacing. If I remember correctly, It's a little tough to get to.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:05 PM
RainJ
Safety Car

Location: Biloxi MS Theres something happenin' here, What it is ain't exactly clear.....

It is either a Vac line under one of the fuel rails that has started leaking or cracked or its the junction box under the driver's side dash.
(usually can lie on your back with your head and chest under the steering wheel and your legs out the door (or up in the air) and check it out.
Should be several Vac Lines all meeting into one box. Those connections usually wear loose over time and need re-seating.

Not an uncommon problem you have,
Rain
Old 10-03-2004, 11:46 PM
1Patriot
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to one of the most common problems with the late version of the C4. Sounds like you are ready for an AC Controller and laying on your back under the drivers dash. Shop around ig you intend to do the work yourself; the controllers are not cheap from GM.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:27 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

If you don't have one, get a vacuum pump with a gauge. Test each vacuum line, starting with the source line under the hood. If each holds vacuum, disconnect the vacuum line cluster that goes into the control unit and test each individual vacuum motor. Each should hold vacuum and actuate when you apply vacuum. If all your lines and vacuum actuators are OK, the control unit is bad.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:30 AM
RainJ
Safety Car

Location: Biloxi MS Theres something happenin' here, What it is ain't exactly clear.....

like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43989
Old 10-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RainJ
Ummmmm, not exactly. That is just the gauge, and it will test vacuum with the engine running. What you need is something that you can pump up by hand....like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43989

You can buy these at Pep Girls or any parts house for about $30, and they come in very handy. I have found and fixed more tiny vacuum leaks on my old Vette than I ever imagined possible.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:13 PM
RainJ
Safety Car

Thanks, my friend.

Will certainly come in handy!

Get notified of new replies

To Heater & AC vents not working right?

Quick Reply: Heater & AC vents not working right?