C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Sporadic Starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 03:09 PM
70 Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sporadic Starting

A friend of mine has an '86 Vette and has had trouble, here's what she has said:

"Do you know anything about a ground wire ( not on the engine) that goes back under the seat to somewhere on the back end. We have had trouble right from the beginning with this ground. You go to start it and NOTHING then 10 minutes later it roars to life. No one seems to be able to find out what's wrong and we have spent thousands."

Any ideas out there on what the problem(s) might be?
Old 07-16-2004, 03:57 PM
mustbampeg
Instructor

Originally Posted by 70 Vette
A friend of mine has an '86 Vette and has had trouble, here's what she has said:

"Do you know anything about a ground wire ( not on the engine) that goes back under the seat to somewhere on the back end. We have had trouble right from the beginning with this ground. You go to start it and NOTHING then 10 minutes later it roars to life. No one seems to be able to find out what's wrong and we have spent thousands."

Any ideas out there on what the problem(s) might be?
i dunno, but it just happened to me about 30min ago at the store. weird. does it happen all of the time?

randy
Old 07-16-2004, 04:45 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your CCA's on your battery. C4's with old batteries tend to have all sorts of electrical gremlins.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:47 PM
70 Vette
Instructor

For mustbampeg - it dosen't happen all the time, but it is frequent.

For QuikZilver - whatv are CCAs?
Old 07-17-2004, 08:55 AM
Midnite 88
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly dirty VATS contacts. Try spraying contact cleaner in the ignition as well as on the pellet on the key. Let it evaporate and give it a try.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:34 PM
70 Vette
Instructor

Thanks for all the suggestions...anymore for anymore?
Old 07-17-2004, 04:57 PM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

A failing starter solienoid will only work "part time" as well as the brushes in the starter. Very aggravating yes. We all wish they would just fail completely when they fail. It would make diagnosis much easier.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Gallstaff
Heel & Toe

I'm a n00b.

What does VATS stand for anyway and what does it do.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:33 PM
NightFlight
Burning Brakes

Vehicle Anti-Theft System
Old 07-17-2004, 08:08 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Most likely its the VATS (vehicle antitheft system). First try the spare ignition key as its pellet isn't as worn as the everyday key. (there is a resistor in the ignition key that is measured by the VATS circuit and if it isn't within 5% of the programmed value it will not allow the starter to crank and the injectors to work). Also, after two tries, VATS will make you wait 6 minutes to try again if VATS doesn't see the correct pellet resistance. The contacts in the ignition tumbler that make with the pellet wear and cause an incorrect resistance reading. The tumbler can be replaced and it includes new contacts. Here is how you can tell if the tumbler contacts are defective. Remove the driver hush panel (above drivers feet) and locate the bundle of wires from about midway down the steering column. These wires go to a single line of connectors. The end two wires, orange and brown are the tumbler contacts. Unplug these two wires and measure the resistance across the wires from the column with the ignition key inserted. The resistance should measure the same as the pellet. If over 13k ohms, you need a new tumbler. If ok, when it won't crank, try jumping the clutch safety switch (gear selector switch if automatic). You can temporarily bypass VATS by clipping a fixed resistor the same as the pellet resistance (5% 1/4 watt resistor from Radio Shack) across the wires going to the passenger side (VATS module). Do not do this permanently because 99% of thefts are done by bashing the column and jumping the ignition.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:18 PM
70 Vette
Instructor

Many thanks everyone, I've passed on responses to my friend, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again and save the wave.

Get notified of new replies

To Sporadic Starting

Quick Reply: Sporadic Starting