C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New c4 owners first oil change, I have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 06:42 PM
preasrio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New c4 owners first oil change, I have a few questions

Hi, I'm still very new to the forum I haven't been long bought a 96 c4 and it is time of the oil change. From what I read mobil 1 is highly recommened for these motors so this is what I bought at wal-mart just making sure it was the right grade and all because I don't have a owners manual.

I bought 6 quarts of mobil 1 5-30 supersyn?? newer vehicle formula.

Now I first went to k-mart to buy the oil they didn't have but 2 quarts left so I left there to go to wal-mart to get it anyway at k-mart their 5w30 said "fully synthtic formual" and the 5w30 I have says newer vehicle forumula is there any diff should this matter?

another question what oil filter should I get I almost got fram but I said I better wait and ask because I want whatever same on it new to go on the car so what came in the car new this is what I want.

I read where I should fill the filter before installing it so this is a must or just kinda a extra safe kind of thing?

Will the 6 quarts be enough or should I stop off and get another or so while I'm there getting the filter?

Should I drain the oil with the car LEVEl then lift the rear a tad to drain what little is left from the oil pan or is it ok jsut to put it on ramps. The last car I had did better on ramps than level just wondering what is best to get all of it out on these cars.

one again what is supersyn?? lol

any help will be much appreciated!
Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: New c4 owners first oil change, I have a few questions (preasrio)

I bought 6 quarts of mobil 1 5-30 supersyn?? newer vehicle formula.

another question what oil filter should I get I almost got fram but I said I better wait and ask because I want whatever same on it new to go on the car so what came in the car new this is what I want.

I read where I should fill the filter before installing it so this is a must or just kinda a extra safe kind of thing?

Will the 6 quarts be enough or should I stop off and get another or so while I'm there getting the filter?

Should I drain the oil with the car LEVEl then lift the rear a tad to drain what little is left from the oil pan or is it ok jsut to put it on ramps. The last car I had did better on ramps than level just wondering what is best to get all of it out on these cars.
Mobil 1 fully synthetic or supersyn either works. I normally stock up two or three cases when I buy. That being the case, I hadn't seen the supersyn until the last time I bought. I just figured it was Mobil releasing a new formula.

Stay away from the Fram oil filters. The new top of the line Fram might be ok but all the reports/tests rate Fram filters at the bottom of the list. Go with AC Delco, Mobil 1, Purolator Pure One.

Up on ramps will suffice to get the oil out. Filling the filter with oil helps to get oil into the motor just that much quicker. I always fill the filter where I can (filter up & down)

5 quarts should be the magic number. To be safe put in 4.5 qts (including the prefilled filter) and start the car. Let it run while you are checking for leaks around the filter and drain plug. Shut it off and pick up your tools, empties, etc. This will give the oil a chance to drain down into the pan. Check your oil again. Fill until it is level with the top of the hatch mark on the dipstick.

I always like to have an extra qt or two around the garage in case so picking up another quart won't hurt.

Congrats on your car. Working on them and cleaning them can be almost as enjoyable as driving them.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:53 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: New c4 owners first oil change, I have a few questions (preasrio)

Put it on ramps, or a lift, doesnt matter.

Drain it all, pull the filter. Be sure to put at least 1/2 qt in the new filter before installing, its better for the engine on that first startup.

You want the Mobil 1 in the Silver bottles, either 5w or 10w30 is fine.

I use a K&N oil filter, but i've also used Mobil 1 and Purolator.

Put in the other 4.5qts, get it on level ground and check the level.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:15 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Re: New c4 owners first oil change, I have a few questions (96LT1)

Don't forget to reset the "Change Oil" light:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=255&TopicID=2
Old 07-07-2004, 09:07 PM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: New c4 owners first oil change, I have a few questions (tobijohn)

Another thing I don't think was mentioned is the stock filter that came on it I THINK is the acdelco UF52??? I think thats the model number someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:27 AM
PreferEuroRacing
Pro

BTW, if you join mygmlink.com you can download PDF versions of your manual. That site is run by GM and allows you to track you vehicles mileage and such. Kind of fun.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:12 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I like to buy the five-quart convenience-sized jugs of oil, too. Makes recycling your waste oil that much easier when you get ready to pour it from the waste pan to the empty plastic container the new oil came in.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:29 PM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Presario brings up a good point....what is supersyn? I have also noticed this on the bottle it used to just say fully synthetic. Is the supersyn the formula we need or have I been putting in the wrong formula. Last oil change I in the 5w30 mobil 1 supersyn newer vehicle formula but I didn't see the regular 5w30...anyone know the differences?
Old 07-09-2004, 08:55 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Oil change

Your first purchase should be to buy an owners manual. Its the best $20.00
you will spend. Almost all questions are answered there.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:26 PM
1987C4
Instructor

I am in the same boat... new C4 (well, new to me) and facing the first oil change shortly. I was thinking about Mobil 1, but my 1987 C4 has 48,800 miles on it. Not bad for a 1987, but I am afraid that it might be too late in the game to change to synthetic. I am wondering if it might cause some seal leeakage with an engine with this mileage on it. Anyone care to comment? Thanks! Brad

Get notified of new replies

To New c4 owners first oil change, I have a few questions

Quick Reply: New c4 owners first oil change, I have a few questions