Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 07:17 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping?

I've noticed that after every wash, there's water in the inside of both the driver and passenger side door sills. Is this normal for C4s or is it time for new weatherstripping around the doors. TIA:

BTW, this has been the case ever since I bought it a year ago - no better, no worse in the time since..

[Modified by tobijohn, 7:37 PM 7/4/2004]
Old 07-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Ret Vett
Cruising

Default Re: Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping? (tobijohn)

I have experienced the same thing, and posed the same question as you to my local corvette club, and I got a variety of humorous and not so humorous responses, but I concluded that we are not alone in finding water after a wash, or when accidentally caught in a rain shower.
The best advice I got seemed to be save the money that you would spend chasing this leak and get a small tasteful towel to put in the car to clean up.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Knooger
Team Owner

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06, '07, '11, '17

Default Re: Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping? (Ret Vett)

Old 07-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping? (tobijohn)

Its the General's subtle way of saying pizzz on you....
Old 07-04-2004, 09:45 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had that since the car was new.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:08 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have troubles on the rear hatch seals. Been that way since new.

GM, would not, or could not, correct under warranty. Their position was that the seals were not designed to withstand the pressure of a "garden" hose aimed directly at the seals. Their instruction was to never aim a hose at the seals.

Old 07-04-2004, 10:13 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Re: Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping? (LT4BUD)

GM, would not, or could not, correct under warranty. Their position was that the seals were not designed to withstand the pressure of a "garden" hose aimed directly at the seals. Their instruction was to never aim a hose at the seals.

That is interesting due to the fact that Gordon Killebrew said when he worked at Bowling Green every C4 had to pass a water-shower leak test before it left the line. If the car leaked then it went back to the repair area. He also said that if anyone tells you that their car has "never seen rain" then they are wrong as every car got "rained on" with this test.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:35 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping? (corvetteronw)

I wonder how a "water shower" test compares to car washing???

Mine doesn't leak in the rain, but almost always ends up with a little water inside after I wash it.

GM dealership even pulled up a new Corvette and hit it with a hose to show me it leaked just like mine. That is, mine was typical.

They instructed me on the proper way to hose down a Corvette when washing it.

[Modified by LT4BUD, 9:36 PM 7/4/2004]
Old 07-04-2004, 11:37 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Default Re: Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping? (LT4BUD)

I toured the Vette plant in the late 80s and the early 90s and recall seeing the cars get a spray down with a fairly high pressure, sort of like a an automatic car wash. The guide said all ragtops leak a little but the coupes were real tight. And Gordon did not lie. They all got wet before they went out the door.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:49 AM
HapAFcop
Racer

Default Re: Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping? (Spankyellow)

I regularly wash mine with a pressure washer and, although I try to avoid it, have driven in the rain numerous times. It leaks at the driver's door window right above the side mirror, but only because of some damage to the weatherstripping. It leaks nowhere else. The roof, passenger door, rear hatch, and, with the exception of the one spot, the driver's door are all water tight (knock on wood).

I think water on the door sills after a good washing is completely normal. I've seen it on every car I've owned. I always take a damp towel and wipe the door sills and jams after I wash anyway. So . It's no big deal .
Old 07-05-2004, 03:12 AM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive found i can blast water under the seals if i want on mine,with 50 psi garden hose pressure.its just the way they are it looks to me.if you aim the spray directly at the ws and angled towards the glass its gonna pass through into the car.just dont do that.
since i started using a soap dispensing sprayer for washing,then a handbucket and rag, and then an open hose for rinsing and sheeting the water off i rarely see any water drops inside the car anymore.
all in the technique
if its getting you wet from rain then thats something to think about fixing.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:20 AM
tobijohn
Safety Car

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Re: Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping? (mitymek)

Thanks for all the feedback. This only seems to happen after a wash, not a rain so I guess I'll quit worrying about it...
Old 07-05-2004, 11:01 AM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. I bought the lower door seals (aftermarket) and that solved the problem. I think from MAD or Ecklers, not sure. They are stick-on and easy to install.

It did solve my situation, and I've spent lots of money on dumber things..........
Old 07-05-2004, 08:12 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping? (brdd)

I had the same problem. I bought the lower door seals (aftermarket) and that solved the problem. I think from MAD or Ecklers, not sure. They are stick-on and easy to install.

It did solve my situation, and I've spent lots of money on dumber things..........
Those will work or just don't aim it up into the door crack :p:
Old 07-05-2004, 08:59 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Re: Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping? (HapAFcop)

I wash C4s at work (Corvette shop) and every one has this problem, it's no biggie just wipe it up when drying the car.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:17 PM
RichD1986
Racer

I had the weatherstripping replaced by a local body shop and it leaked right from the get-go. It's my daily driver, so I'm sure to keep a supply of towels or paper napkins ready to catch drips. No biggie - it's just an 18 year old plastic car.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:18 PM
HG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping? (Spankyellow)

Same thing, mine leaks when being washed. I just put a towel on the door sill to catch the drops. It only leaks on the drivers side.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping?

Old 07-06-2004, 11:14 PM
key_on
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had two C4's ... first a 94, and now a 91. Neither ever leaked a drop unless high pressure was directed immediately at a sealing surface.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:26 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping? (corvetteronw)

That is interesting due to the fact that Gordon Killebrew said when he worked at Bowling Green every C4 had to pass a water-shower leak test before it left the line. If the car leaked then it went back to the repair area. He also said that if anyone tells you that their car has "never seen rain" then they are wrong as every car got "rained on" with this test.
He's right. I visited the plant in 1984 and watched one red C-4 get yanked off the line for failing the water spray test.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:08 PM
beachcat
Safety Car

I used to just put up with it on my 87 coupe. But when I had it painted two years ago, I had them install new weather stripping. I dont have that problem anymore. Worth the cost IMO.

Quick Reply: Is this normal after a wash or is it time for new weatherstripping?