Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Does anyone else experience shoulder belt placement problems while driving their C4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 01:57 AM
Spinman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone else experience shoulder belt placement problems while driving their C4?

Just curious....

I'm having a bit of a problem with the placement of my shoulder belt and thought I'd see if others have experience my situation.

[ I received a ticket today for driving w/o my seat belt. I use the lap belt, but pin the shoulder belt under my left arm and run it across my stomach - so it always looks as if I'm completely unbelted instead of only 1/2 unbelted ]

I'm about 5' 10" tall. The factory seating in this vehicle places the driver in a low, semi-reclining position. In my 1990 vehicle, the shoulder belt pivot is stationary - unlike some other vehicles that provide a sliding height adjustment.

While driving with the shoulder belt in place, it drapes across my left ear, under my left cheek and across my neck, and continues diagonally down to the buckle.

1) I find the natural placement of the shoulder belt to be distracting and physically irritating.

2) I have assumed that the placement of the belt across my neck (as opposed to my chest) would prove to be detrimental in case of an accident – and could possibly cause strangulation, neurological or spinal damage.

Just want to seek a few opinions and see if anyone else experienced similar placement concerns.

Thanks -
Old 07-01-2004, 04:28 AM
randy814u
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Does anyone else experience shoulder belt placement problems while driving their C4? (Spinman)

I do not use my belt for just that reason. I do not want to cut my neck off in a wreck, and will see if my head can withstand the impact on the windshield.
Seems safer to me.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:36 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: Does anyone else experience shoulder belt placement problems while driving their C4? (Spinman)

My 87 is that way. The shoulder belt rides high and usually sits right on my neck. I have tried to raise the seat higher and that helps some but it still seems to move around.

Placing the shoulder belt under your arm is not safe as it will not hold the upper body in place in a wreck. Your airbag may help some but the airbag system is designed with the proper wearing of the shoulder belt.

Here in WA, placing the shoulder strap under the arm is not a "legal" method of wearing your seat belt and because not wearing a seat belt is a primary offense, you can be stopped and get a $104 ticket. The WA State Patrol is pretty tough on seatbelt violations.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Bilyk
Drifting

I have that problem too! Or I did have it i should say.

I bought these little clips that clip onto the shoulder belt and lap belt, positioning the shoulder belt in such a way that it doesn't rub
Old 07-01-2004, 09:59 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm about 5' 10" tall. While driving with the shoulder belt in place, it drapes across my left ear, under my left cheek and across my neck
Hmmmm. I'm 5" 6" and have no issues with the shoulder belt in the C4.

(Now, the belt in my Chevy van is a completely different story!!!)

Could there be that much difference in the the years of the C4?

Larry
Old 07-01-2004, 10:01 AM
jrp
Le Mans Master

I'm 5'8", and my belt feels perfectly normal. Mine is a '96, so maybe there's a difference between years.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Does anyone else experience shoulder belt placement problems

I think GM produced a kit containing two seat belt extensions. The Idea was to move the shoulder harness more to the mid section of the body of "smaller" drivers. It consisted of a female clip that attached to the lap/shoulder belt, six to eight inches of seat belt material and a male clip that attached to the stationary clip. I never had any, but know some who got them. Seemed to cure their problem.

[Modified by Steel Blue 91, 11:43 AM 7/1/2004]
Old 07-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Fast Glass
Burning Brakes

On my '87 you can pull the shoulder belt out until its loose, and it will lock there. Kinda like a cord on a retractable work light. In a high energy stop the inertia reel will pull it tight like its suppost to. Its on, but just not tight while driving normally.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:50 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: Does anyone else experience shoulder belt placement problems (Steel Blue 91)

I'm 6' 1" and have no problem at all with the C-4 belts.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:01 AM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5'10 and no problems here. I would try adjusting the seat.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Does anyone else experience shoulder belt placement problems while driving their C4? (JasonL)

The location of the upper mount was changed at one point, I forget what year.

I have no problems in my '95 or my '93.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:56 AM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

i have no problens in my 96, I'm 5'9" 165lbs. I don't remember any issues with my '89.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:25 AM
silverja
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

On my 87 Vert the seat belt can at times be a nuisance and uncomfortable. But I find pulling it out all the way and resetting it seems to work. It may not be too snug then but at least I'm not feeling trapped or chocked. Your issue is not uncommon though and it's unfortunate you received a ticket.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:01 AM
OrthoAggie
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Does anyone else experience shoulder belt placement problems while driving their C4? (randy814u)

I do not use my belt for just that reason. I do not want to cut my neck off in a wreck, and will see if my head can withstand the impact on the windshield.
Seems safer to me.
im sorry but the windshield will win...I always wear my seatbelt...it feels unnatural without it on. I am 5"8 and have no problems
Old 07-02-2004, 11:17 PM
amm0bob
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

No problem with my belts other than the retractor not doing it's job well enough.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:06 AM
MostWanted
Drifting

Default Re: Does anyone else experience shoulder belt placement problems while driving their C4? (amm0bob)

The belt in my 96 is probably the most comfortable seatbelt I have ever had in any of the cars I have owned.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone else experience shoulder belt placement problems while driving their C4?

Quick Reply: Does anyone else experience shoulder belt placement problems while driving their C4?