C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Engine Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Chuckster1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Cleaning

I am interested to hear from those of you that have cleaned your engines. Some people have said that it's very tricky with all the computor boxes under the hood and should be done by a professional only. Yet our largest Corvette dealer balks at doing a detail cleaning. Should I even attemptit ? Should I steam clean ? Your suggestions are welcome.

Old 05-23-2004, 06:10 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Engine Cleaning (Chuckster1)

No you should not.

Bad for Opti, electrical etc. etc.

Do it slowly with Rags, toothbrush qtips etc etc.

Old 05-23-2004, 06:33 PM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spray it with tire foam and shut the hood.next time you open it you'll be amazed at the overall cleanliness of it.
i asked the detailing shop that does our company vehicles how they do it after reading about it here.same thing-tire foam.they also told me thats what the used car lots do too.
i found that if you dont go back and hand wipe everything an hr later or so,the tire foam does generate a slight film which collects dust.the first time i did it i didnt touch anything.looked great for a few weeks of daily driving.finally after some dusty conditions on my road i had to take a rag to it and wipe everything down.it polished up nice with no further chemicals.it really makes the covers stand out,and the asr cover-everything plastic or rubber looks like new.super easy.i recommend it even if you want to get a toothbrush and rags and really do it up right,it will save a bunch of time.
just keep the garden hose or pressure washer out of there however you do it.
:seeya
oh yea-forgot,many people recommend simple green and rags,elbow grease and (like below) beer. :)

[Modified by mitymek, 2:57 PM 5/23/2004]
Old 05-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Go Slow Bro !!!

Forget about steam cleaning.
Start with spray cleaner & Scott Towels.
Do a little at a time, it takes time & a couple beers to do it right.
Use degreaser, there are alot of brands.
Mine was a disaster when I bought it.
Look at her now.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:09 PM
USA-VET
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Engine Cleaning (Wayne88)

nice :cool: :thumbs: :iagree:
Old 05-23-2004, 08:22 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a 91 or older, the L98 IS washable. I have a power washer with plenty of kick. I get the engine hot and spray on gunk degreaser. Then I blast away. I try to stay away from the distributor and the computer, but they do get wet. I inspect the engine area in the daylight first to see where the grime is. It may take a few times to get it clean, but you can do it. If I didn't have a power washer I would do the same at the do-it-yourself car wash. As I have done with all my vehicles for over three decades.

Have I ever had water problems doing this? Yes, I have had wet wires. But I only do this on a hot day, out in the sun where things can dry out. That's another reason why I get the engine hot.

If you have an optispark engine, disregard the above............ :nono:
Old 05-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never steam clean, or "GUNK", foam or further hose down my engine anymore!!! I was sort of the Guinnie Pig in my circle of friends back in the Golden 80's and learned the hard way with my 88 IROC . I loved keeping her clean especially the engine so I used Gunk alot and always hosed it off. I don't know how may Map, Mass air sensors etc this was responsible for ruining!!!
Take the good advise and use rags and a toothbrush!!! :reddevil :iagree:
Old 05-23-2004, 08:52 PM
91whiteconv
Advanced

You might take a wire brush (soft brissel) and hit the aluminum, it shines it up pretty nice, then hit it with some never dull.
if you get a small enough brush (like the size of a tooth brush) you can get most everything to shine like new. I spent most of last night shining my engine up..... it is a love hate thing... :steering:
Old 05-23-2004, 09:26 PM
96KICKS
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Engine Cleaning (91whiteconv)

I agree totally! I truly wish we could just blast our engines with water and some cleaner, but we can't. The problem with cleaning the engine is that it never ends! You get one area really good, and then the rest looks like crap, so you have no choice but to keep working through the areas. Engine cleaning put the word 'detail' in detailing.

.... it is a love hate thing... :steering:
Old 05-23-2004, 09:28 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Gordon Killebrew (whose job for GM was to troubleshoot C4 problems for dealers and owners) recommends this method for 91 and older. Warm engine, spray with Westley's degreaser (which I can't find anywhere!) and let it sit for a while with the hood closed. Then rinse off with your garden hose sprayer set on "mist". I just used Greased Lightning instead and bagged the distributor. Worked fine! You can also use a scotch brite pad to shine up the aluminum parts and Pledge for the bottom of the hood, hoses, and other plastic stuff. :cool:
Old 05-23-2004, 10:19 PM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine Cleaning (corvetteronw)

wonder if this is the same stuff http://housewares.aubuchonhardware.c...ner-603775.asp

actually it must be cuz heres the westleys lineup: http://westleys.com/internal_pages/Westleys.htm

[Modified by mitymek, 6:31 PM 5/23/2004]
Old 05-23-2004, 10:44 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Re: Engine Cleaning (mitymek)

:hurray: Yeah, Westley's Clear Majic spray. Now where can I get it? Gordon said they had it at Wal Mart. Unfortunately the Wal Marts around here do not carry it. :smash:
Old 05-23-2004, 10:50 PM
GS 163
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Engine Cleaning (corvetteronw)

I used simple green and a garden hose. I spray it down cold with simple green, and then use the hose with light pressure to rinse. Wipe it down and start it up. The heat from the motor will dry everything else. A little pledge on the plastic and hoses and it looks like new. Did this with my old 94 LT1, and the GS when I bought it in November. Obviously Im not dousing the opti with water. You do it once, and the rest is just upkeep. :yesnod:
Old 05-23-2004, 10:58 PM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Engine Cleaning (mitymek)

wonder if this is the same stuff http://housewares.aubuchonhardware.c...ner-603775.asp

actually it must be cuz heres the westleys lineup: http://westleys.com/internal_pages/Westleys.htm

Hey I checked out this site...I did not see any Westley auto polish!! Anyone know where I can find it online. I used to always get the stuff at RS Strauss in Jersey, now where to be found!!!

[Modified by mitymek, 6:31 PM 5/23/2004]
: :sad:

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Cleaning

Quick Reply: Engine Cleaning