C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

My Car was taken for a joyride...long rant

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 12:13 PM
INaband
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: My Car was taken for a joyride...long rant (1996blklt4)

Well, Im not gonna hit him etc, he is way bigger...and also the car aint hurt like I first thought, just enuff to get the brakes hot, but no damage as far as the body....he is 21 and as far as me controlling him, well he has to grow up to say the least.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Crispyc21
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: My Car was taken for a joyride...long rant (INaband)

....he is 21 and as far as me controlling him, well he has to grow up to say the least.
==============
then kick his azz out. Why is he 21 living at home anyway?? I hope you realize now nothing in YOUR house is safe. What's to stop him from doing it again? I hope you have a good hiding place for your keys. But of course you shouldn't have to do that in YOUR house.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:28 PM
vettefast
Drifting

Im at my wits end, but any comments appreciated here

:rant:
Old 04-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: My Car was taken for a joyride...long rant (Crispyc21)

then kick his azz out. Why is he 21 living at home anyway?? I hope you realize now nothing in YOUR house is safe. What's to stop him from doing it again? I hope you have a good hiding place for your keys. But of course you shouldn't have to do that in YOUR house.
You need to watch it with comments like that buddy. I'm 22 and still live at home. My brother was 24 living at home until he got married. A ton of people have really bad relationships with their parents and move out as soon as they can. Some do it just to get away from their parents, other do it "just to show their parents." Others do so just because "I'm 18 and I CAN move out so I will."

In my case I have a wonderful relationship with my parents. The know that it is very hard for an 18 year old to move out on their own and make a decent living out of it. My father hasn't worked all of his life just so that he can enjoy a comfortable living. He has worked all of his life so that his FAMILY can enjoy a comfortable living. This means that he is willing help us out by giving us every advantage he didn't have. By helping us along he is giving us a head start in life that he didn't have.

You don't just kick people out because of age. Ideally you don't have to kick anybody out. In a perfect world your child leaves when they are ready to do so, on good terms with their parents.

:rant:

That aside if I was in your place your son would be in a bunch of trouble. Don't do anything physical, just start taking away the things that mean the most to him, or let him know the consequences of his action. The idea of getting him arrested would drive the point home better than anything.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:14 PM
vettefast
Drifting

Default Re: My Car was taken for a joyride...long rant (Nathan Plemons)

You need to watch it with comments like that buddy.
Well I guess me running the kid over in the post above yours is still OK, right! :D

[Modified by vettefast, 2:15 PM 4/21/2004]
Old 04-21-2004, 02:17 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

What kind of a relationship do you have with your son? Do you do things together? Does he have to be reminded or pushed to do his part around the house? Is he respectful to Mom and Dad?

No license or insurance (I assume you don't have him on your policy) should mean that you will have to hide or lock up the car keys until he has a clear understanding that he cannot drive until he gets a valid license and insurance coverage. The privelege of driving comes with some responsibility and financial requirements. A DUI won't help at insurance buying time.

At 21 he should have some idea of right and wrong and what he did was clearly big time wrong. A serious talk is needed with him so you can find out what his reasoning was for taking the car and potentially putting both him and you in a situation that could have had some very serious consequences.

Just from what I read, there may be some serious issues to be worked out. Get together with him and start talking and please, don't wait but do it now before there is big trouble. Good luck and I hope everything will work out.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Crispyc21
Drifting

You need to watch it with comments like that buddy.
-------
:lol:
Well you should want more out of your life than living with your parents 21. But some people do it for many reasons. Some are good reasons, most are bad. It doesn't matter what your relationship is with them. I get a long great with mine, they are like my best friends. But I moved out because I wanted to get on with my life. Not to 'show' anyone. ANYWAY, it sounds like this 'kid' needs to learn some responsibility. Obviously that is true if he's living at home at 21 and already has a DUI. And why did he take the car??? I'm sure it was to drive some sickly nuns to the hospital. But I'm sure if was GMs fault for making the corvette or the beer maker's fault for making him drink and drive. Responsibility starts at home.
My kids are going to LOVE me!! :leaving:
Old 04-21-2004, 02:23 PM
George Dickel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Give him a week to find a place to live and then kick him out and if he refuses to leave call the cops. 21 is not a kid anymore and it's time you made him act like it. What he did is so disrespectfull of you that I can't begin to understand why you tolerate that kind of crap.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:26 PM
MPforUSMC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blame Canada.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:04 PM
AWSUM94
Advanced

TOUGH LOVE........THROW HIM OUT OF YOUR HOUSE! CHANGE THE LOCKS, NAIL THE WINDOWS ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING TO LET HIM KNOW THAT IT'S YOUR PROPERTY!! YOU LOVE HIM BUT :nono: :smash: :mad
Old 04-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Well you should want more out of your life than living with your parents 21.
OK. Right now personally, I have no desire to move out, it would make my life about 10 times harder at least. I already don't have enough hours in the day to get everything done. Oh well, this thread isn't about me is it? I'm just saying that whoever said he shouldn't still be living there at age 21 doesn't know the whole story, you can't just make general assumptions like that.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:03 PM
lead foot 85 vet
Drifting

My god .....like no one here ever beats there vett.........they were made for spirited driving.........weren't you guys ever a kid.......most poeple who drink and do not have a dui were just lucky when young and stupid.....I agree he needs to be punished......but who doesn't want to drive a fast car...like father...like son.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:15 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: My Car was taken for a joyride...long rant (lead foot 85 vet)

My god .....like no one here ever beats there vett.........they were made for spirited driving.........weren't you guys ever a kid.......most poeple who drink and do not have a dui were just lucky when young and stupid.....I agree he needs to be punished......but who doesn't want to drive a fast car...like father...like son.
What the car was made or dsigned for is not the issue at all. This kid took his dad's car without permission, knowing he did not have a driver's license and insurance and clearly drove it in a manner that probably broke a number of traffic laws. This put the public at risk by an unlicensed driver and even risked his fathers insurance should he have caused an accident.

Just think if he would have been stopped by the police for a traffic violation. No license or insurance so he probably could not effectively prove who he was and driving a car that was not his. Can you say auto theft??

Even though most of us drive our Vettes in a "spirited manner", this kid screwed up royally by taking the car and driving the way he did. And the dad has yet to comment on his son's driving ability. The dad is lucky that he didn't have to go identify a body.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:44 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, Im not gonna hit him etc, he is way bigger.
ARE YOU F'N SERIOUS?!?! Even though I KNOW I probably COULD whip my mom or dad, do you think they ever let ME think that? HELL NO! If you're afraid of your kid, then... :nopity
Old 04-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Default Re: My Car was taken for a joyride...long rant (c4cruiser)

I've done a lot of stupid things, but a DUI is not on that list. It's not because I'm "lucky" it's because I'm not stupid enough to get behind the wheel of a car when drunk. IMHO anybody who does should never be allowed to drive agian.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Keys will be hidden from now on to say the least.... :eek:
I always hide my keys from my 17 year old for that very reason!
Old 04-21-2004, 09:20 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Default Re: My Car was taken for a joyride...long rant (Bruthish)

It could've been worse.
I think he drove it with the hand brake on. Better get the rear brakes checked.
Theres an old saying, "If the kid truns out bad, blame the parents". "If the kid turns out good blame the parents".

Kids are a crap shoot you pretty much get what you get.
I know some good people who had some really bad kids.

Hide the keys. Its about all you can do. If there was a manual on raising kids it would be 20 miles high.
Do what ya have to do, but soon it will be memory. Don't make it a bad memory. Someday both you and the kid will look back and laugh.
Good luck Dude.

Get notified of new replies

To My Car was taken for a joyride...long rant

Old 04-21-2004, 10:01 PM
INaband
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: My Car was taken for a joyride...long rant (redwing76)

I think now that maybe the brake was on, and he was very apologetic, and I know he regrets it.......I cant be mad forever, and he wasnt hurt, so maybe the best thing to do is put it in the past..........he sure didnt put a scratch on it, which Im really thankfull, and I appreciate the comments......
Old 04-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

To all you guys saying kick him out....... I'd like to see you do that to your own child. :smash:

I was at a point with my oldest I wanted to kick her out but when push came to shove we didn't. We toughed out that time period, she has since moved out happily on all sides and we have a great relationship.

About 17 to 20 are the "idiot years" (sometimes a little shorter or longer)
IF you can make it through that you're doing good :D :cheers:
Old 04-21-2004, 11:03 PM
2vettes2go
Pro

Default Re: My Car was taken for a joyride...long rant (rocco16)

."You might tell him something like this: "Son, I love you. But if you ever do something like that again, I'll report the car as stolen and when they walk you away in cuffs, you'll be on your own

THAT is exactly what should happen. :iagree: :mad

Quick Reply: My Car was taken for a joyride...long rant