Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What's the BIG deal about C5's??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Cal Vette
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What's the BIG deal about C5's??

I hear alot of people talking about moving up to C5's. Some say they are more refined. Others say more reliable and faster. Are they that much better? I have never driven one so I can't comment. I see alot of C4's on the forum that have mod's and seem to be in line with the performance of C5's.
What's your opinion?? :shocked:
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 04-04-2004, 10:21 AM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Re: What's the BIG deal about C5's?? (Cal Vette)

to each his own. :cheers:
Old 04-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Andys89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to drive one :steering:
Old 04-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: What's the BIG deal about C5's?? (bizaro1234)

to each his own. :cheers:
For sure, I have no doubt the C5 is an excellent car but I just prefer the looks of my 95 to any C5. This, of course is a completely subjective matter. I certainly appreciate and respect any Vette, any year.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:13 AM
mid life 90
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What's the BIG deal about C5's?? (Corvette Kid NC)

The C5 is really starting to grow on me, I don't even mind the big butt too much. Went and looked at a 50th yesterday. :smiliedrool: :smiliedrool: Ah........to keep the LT4 or trade her in. What a tough life it is when you have this addiction :cool:
Old 04-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: What's the BIG deal about C5's?? (mid life 90)

Ah........to keep the LT4 or trade her in. What a tough life it is when you have this addiction :cool:
That's the mistake everyone makes.

You don't trade the C4 for a C5, you buy a C5 and keep the C4.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:55 AM
bobcal
Instructor

I've driven both. My LT4 seems as quick as any C5, other than ZO6. I'm a fairly big guy and the C5 interior is more spacious, comfortable for a longer trip. Otherwise both cars have a lot going for them. I think, in many instances, with a C4 you are generally getting a higher mileage car that may be approaching some major maintenance/repair issues, while obviously there are many newer, lower mile, fresher C5's around. Depends on your budget and what you are looking for from your Corvette.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:11 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the big deal about C5's?
The fact that you can afford one? They're newer. More power, no opti-spank,
bigger brakes, the samething that was the big deal about C4's when they were new.
The C-4's is hands above the C-3's so it follows...................
Old 04-04-2004, 12:24 PM
KyleBst264
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C5's, more reliable, more modern styling, newer technology, the flagship of Chevrolet engineering. C5's are a little bit quicker than C4's (except the Z06, which would blow a C4's doors clean off) There are also very many newer cars on the road. The C5 also has the same radio that they used to use in the GM trucks.

C4's, not as reliable as the C5, technology in the C4's day was state of the art. The later C4 had it's very own radio. The interior is tight, you don't get in a C4, you put a C4 on. They are unique and become even more unique. An older car in mint condition will get more attention than a brand new car.

In a few months, the C5 like the C4 will no longer be in production and will give way to a generation of higher technology and engineering. Every generation of Corvette is a stepping stone for the next generation. 5-10 years from now, we're going to look at a C5's technology as "old school" and a C4's technology will be considered "ancient." That is one of the many traits that makes it, the legend, America's Sports Car, the legacy, and the only model of any car ever made to have a museum dedicated to that one model.
The point being, the Chevrolet Corvette is as American as Apple Pie. The Corvette you own, is more than a car sitting in your drive way or garage, it's is a piece of American History and the evolution of automotive technology.

[Modified by KyleBst264, 12:29 PM 4/4/2004]
Old 04-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: What's the BIG deal about C5's?? (mid life 90)

The C5 is really starting to grow on me, I don't even mind the big butt too much. Went and looked at a 50th yesterday. :smiliedrool: :smiliedrool: Ah........to keep the LT4 or trade her in. What a tough life it is when you have this addiction :cool:
Or give me a smokin' deal on your LT4 and THEN go buy a C5! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-04-2004, 01:16 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

The C4 is a great Vette. But the C5 is a great sportscar. No doubt the Vette get better with every generation, the C6 will be better than the C5. Can you get a C4 to run with the C5 & C6 while spending a little less? Yes! and it is sure fun to watch the surprise on their faces when the C4 blows by!! Buy the Vette you like and enjoy. Every generation has their charm.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:26 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Re: What's the BIG deal about C5's?? (TOO_HOTTVETTE)

Its all about preference. SOme like keeping up with the "Joneses". A C5 would be nice, but cost wise right now is not real good, just wait till the C6 comes out and C5 owners will start selling cheaper. Tehn start all over again and make the C5 what you think GM should have done with it.
But yes it is more comfortable, but it doesnt feel like a sports car when I drove the Vert, Hardtop, ZO6 and coupe. It is all your perception.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:29 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: What's the BIG deal about C5's?? (TOO_HOTTVETTE)

Buy the Vette you like and enjoy. Every generation has their charm.
That says it all. Anything else is just...... :beatdeadhorse:

(I've been waiting for an excuse to use that new smilie!) :lol:
Old 04-04-2004, 01:43 PM
OURRUBY
Spending his inheritance
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: What's the BIG deal about C5's?? (Mr Mojo)

Ah........to keep the LT4 or trade her in. What a tough life it is when you have this addiction :cool:

You don't trade the C4 for a C5, you buy a C5 and keep the C4.
That mistake wasn't made here :) See my sig. And to think it was the wife's idea to trade her Buick and keep the C4 :hurray:
Old 04-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Caboboy
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22
'23-'24

Default Re: What's the BIG deal about C5's?? (KyleBst264)

C5's, more reliable, more modern styling, newer technology, the flagship of Chevrolet engineering. C5's are a little bit quicker than C4's (except the Z06, which would blow a C4's doors clean off) There are also very many newer cars on the road. The C5 also has the same radio that they used to use in the GM trucks.

C4's, not as reliable as the C5, technology in the C4's day was state of the art. The later C4 had it's very own radio. The interior is tight, you don't get in a C4, you put a C4 on. They are unique and become even more unique. An older car in mint condition will get more attention than a brand new car.

In a few months, the C5 like the C4 will no longer be in production and will give way to a generation of higher technology and engineering. Every generation of Corvette is a stepping stone for the next generation. 5-10 years from now, we're going to look at a C5's technology as "old school" and a C4's technology will be considered "ancient." That is one of the many traits that makes it, the legend, America's Sports Car, the legacy, and the only model of any car ever made to have a museum dedicated to that one model.
The point being, the Chevrolet Corvette is as American as Apple Pie. The Corvette you own, is more than a car sitting in your drive way or garage, it's is a piece of American History and the evolution of automotive technology.

[Modified by KyleBst264, 12:29 PM 4/4/2004]
Holy smokes Kyle, that's better than some of my halftime speeches in the locker room :eek: :lol:
Old 04-04-2004, 02:27 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: What's the BIG deal about C5's?? (KyleBst264)

:iagree:

Great post!

:seeya
Old 04-04-2004, 02:41 PM
MagikDraggin
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I'd get one in a heartbeat, if I had the garage space. A Mag red vert would work just fine. I just am not ready to give up my C4 yet and don't have the space for both.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the BIG deal about C5's??

Old 04-04-2004, 03:05 PM
HTRK-1
Pro

Default Re: What's the BIG deal about C5's?? (MagikDraggin)

I love my C4. With that said, if I could afford a C5 I would probably go with that. It seems to be more solid with less rattles and I really like the way the 6 speed shifter feels compared to my ZF. My C4 seems more like a muscle car, while the C5 seems more tame (stock). I think the C4 is a great value right now. The C5's will be the same way when the C6's come out. They are both great cars. The big butt on the C5 really bothered me for a while, but it is kinda growing on me now.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:40 PM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Location: SCMR Rat Pack'r Charter Member, Inland Empire Chapter
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhh...the perennial C4 vs C5 thread :beatdeadhorse:

Like has already eben said every generation of corvette becomes more refined and usually more power (the smogger decade of the '70's doesnt count) and handles better. Theres pluses and minuses to both. You strap on a C4, you dont drive one and I really like that tight cockpit feeling. Its hard to get in and out of at times (my driveway is at a steep enuff angle to make it a chore). I love my '91 but it has 110k miles, Ive put a grip load of $$$ into it for basic stuff (clutch, dual mass flywheel, ZF6 trannie, injectors, 1 axle half shaft, all u-joints, radiator etc etc. Ive heard C4's descrobed as "rattle traps" and was pissed off as hell about it at first. But hey, they DO rattle a lot. The later C4s had velcro straps all over the place from the factory stopping rattles and other noises. Theres a lot of frame flex and taking the targa off is a pain. I plan on buying a C5 vert in about 2 years but havent decided if Ill keep the '91 yet. Basically theyre all Corvettes and deserving of our love and respect guys. :thumbs:
Old 04-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Dandy97
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: What's the BIG deal about C5's?? (Mr Mojo)

You don't trade the C4 for a C5, you buy a C5 and keep the C4.[/QUOTE]
:iagree:

Quick Reply: What's the BIG deal about C5's??