C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Apparently C4's aren't fast

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Apparently C4's aren't fast

We've recently hired a new student worker, he's a really good kid if not just the least bit misguided. He drives an Acura, a nice new one actually. He's really interested in anything fast though and he seems to know what he's talking about.

Anyway he told me the other day that his friend picked him up for lunch. He pointed MY car out to his friend. I don't know if he's told his friend about my car before or what, but his friend said "That thing's fast? Man that's a sleeper."

This just makes me laugh. First and foremost I'm happy that he never would have suspected my car as being anything special. Unless you know Vette's your not going to notice anything out of the ordinary, really the only thing you can see is the mufflers are different, but the stock tips are still there. You can see the headers if you get low enough but nobody ever would.

What was so funny to me though was "That thing's fast?" I guess stock vettes are just slow cars. I could see that from somebody who drove something faster, but considering that this guy drives a SUNFIRE, I'm curious exactly what his idea of fast is.

:cheers:
Old 03-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Apparently C4's aren't fast (Nathan Plemons)

Read the latest issue of Hot Rod(with Starsky and Hutch on the cover) they have the article about the Texas Mile and were wondering why more C4's aren't out there, I want to write them and tell them we are here, but too busy racing to worry about other things.

BTW, a ZR1 took top honors and an LT4 car got the best sounding award.

So I say we flood Hot Rod's mailbox with pics and stories of our cars.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:38 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Were you at Beech Bend opening day? There were a couple of "sleeper C4s there. A trip to the track would wake the guy up. :D
Old 03-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Default Re: Apparently C4's aren't fast (Spankyellow)

No, I didn't even know the track was open yet this season. I don't have any money to fix my car if anything breaks, so right now I just have to be content to drive it every day and hope nothing falls off.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:55 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Im guessing you are still in school. Your not going to be poor forever. Your day WILL come. :chevy
Old 03-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Default Re: Apparently C4's aren't fast (Spankyellow)

Yeah I'd rather be poor and in debt driving my vette than not in debt driving anything else, wishing I had the vette.

I could save for years to buy it or I could buy it now and pay on it for years. Ultimately I'll have it longer if I buy it now, though it might cost a little more in the long run :D
Old 03-27-2004, 10:03 AM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You know, it's funny. I never "aspired" to owning a Corvette and in the last few years had talked to my father in law (who is an insane car guy) about various sports cars that I would like to own. His response was always to just get a Corvette. So, with a little help form my wife, I did.
It was only after I had researched and purchased the car that I really started to appreciate how special these cars are. I don't think that many people understand the engineering and technology that went into these cars. Even today, my '93 has technology that is just becoming standard on some Lexus cars! (PKE).
Fast? Corvettes have always been fast. But my stock '93 supposedly runs in the 13s right out of the box. Others modify the hell out of their cars to get into the 13s. Corvettes are fast. Not the fastest cars in the world, but they are definitely fast. Period.
I was considering a BMW or an Asian rocket before I bought the Corvette. My father in law (God bless him) pointed me in the right direction. This is one decision that I have never regretted and am continually happy with.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:35 AM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I'd rather be poor and in debt driving my vette than not in debt driving anything else, wishing I had the vette.

I could save for years to buy it or I could buy it now and pay on it for years. Ultimately I'll have it longer if I buy it now, though it might cost a little more in the long run :D
:iagree:

As for stock Vette's being slow - What would that make the Mustang??
Mojo's (almost) STOCK C4 has gotten high 12's - If that's slow, then I need to buy a new car. :lol:
Old 03-27-2004, 12:20 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Apparently C4's aren't fast (eschoendorff)

You know, it's funny. I never "aspired" to owning a Corvette and in the last few years had talked to my father in law (who is an insane car guy) about various sports cars that I would like to own. His response was always to just get a Corvette. So, with a little help form my wife, I did.
It was only after I had researched and purchased the car that I really started to appreciate how special these cars are. I don't think that many people understand the engineering and technology that went into these cars. Even today, my '93 has technology that is just becoming standard on some Lexus cars! (PKE).
Fast? Corvettes have always been fast. But my stock '93 supposedly runs in the 13s right out of the box. Others modify the hell out of their cars to get into the 13s. Corvettes are fast. Not the fastest cars in the world, but they are definitely fast. Period.
I was considering a BMW or an Asian rocket before I bought the Corvette. My father in law (God bless him) pointed me in the right direction. This is one decision that I have never regretted and am continually happy with.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:52 PM
CanadaVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a question
If Vettes are soooooo slow, Why is it that when I drive my Acura 2.3 CL everybody wants to race me but when I drive the slow Vette nobody even wants to try??? :crazy:
Old 03-27-2004, 02:56 PM
skydaman
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Apparently C4's aren't fast (CanadaVette)

Exactly, I traded in my 2002 Accord that had everything done to it and only got 14.7 which is pretty good for a family car and everyone would try and race it. Now in the vette no one even wants to try...ohh well...I win at the track. Funny track story-I got way too sideways around the 60' at the track and just stopped before I hit the wall, I then punched it and still finished before the civic did in the other lane even after coming to a complete stop, lol and my cars slow? yeah whatever.....
Old 03-27-2004, 03:09 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

And as someone once said:

"A Corvette will get you through periods of no sex better than sex will get you through periods of no Corvette"

[Modified by tobijohn, 3:11 PM 3/27/2004]
Old 03-27-2004, 03:46 PM
1990CORVETTE
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Apparently C4's aren't fast (JB666)

Mojo's (almost) STOCK C4 has gotten high 12's - If that's slow, then I need to buy a new car. :lol:
:withstupid:
Old 03-27-2004, 03:52 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Apparently C4's aren't fast (tobijohn)

And as someone once said:

"A Corvette will get you through periods of no sex better than sex will get you through periods of no Corvette"
:lol:
Old 03-27-2004, 03:54 PM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the span when gm put out sluggish c3 cars is to blame for this train of thought.
before that happened a corvette was always in with the fastest of any make of car on the market for the year.
after the low hp smogged out models of c3s hit the streets you couldnt always assume a vette was fast anymore,although you had to be careful picking on one unless you knew which options it had and wether it was stock or not.
that all changed with the first c4 though,and anyone who didint respect gm's efforts at re-establishing its crown as american sports car king was basically an uninformed wannabe of a car enthusiast.
the first c4 had immediately was touted as the best handling car ever built.by anyone..and it was no slug either.
they only got refined from that point.
of course,we all know that.but i suspect anyone who is surprised that a c4 is fast,would not even be able to tell you if it was a c2,c3,or c4 int the first place. :rolleyes:
Old 03-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Casper
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Apparently C4's aren't fast (mitymek)

the span when gm put out sluggish c3 cars is to blame for this train of thought.
before that happened a corvette was always in with the fastest of any make of car on the market for the year.
after the low hp smogged out models of c3s hit the streets you couldnt always assume a vette was fast anymore,although you had to be careful picking on one unless you knew which options it had and wether it was stock or not.
that all changed with the first c4 though,and anyone who didint respect gm's efforts at re-establishing its crown as american sports car king was basically an uninformed wannabe of a car enthusiast.
the first c4 had immediately was touted as the best handling car ever built.by anyone..and it was no slug either.
they only got refined from that point.
of course,we all know that.but i suspect anyone who is surprised that a c4 is fast,would not even be able to tell you if it was a c2,c3,or c4 int the first place. :rolleyes:
:cry :cry You mean my '82 is slow? :cry :cry
Old 03-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Apparently C4's aren't fast (JB666)

Hey,hey, my '95 did hit the high 12's stock, the '93 needed some help. But the engine is stock.

Get notified of new replies

To Apparently C4's aren't fast

Old 03-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Re: Apparently C4's aren't fast (CanadaVette)

Here is a question
If Vettes are soooooo slow, Why is it that when I drive my Acura 2.3 CL everybody wants to race me but when I drive the slow Vette nobody even wants to try??? :crazy:
Maybe the dont want to embarass us! :jester

If Corvettes are slow, someone needs to prove it to my car. She doesn't agree.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

I told my dad about this guy. Now understand that my dad has NO interest in performance whatsoever, if it'll do 65 mph, that's all he needs.

He even thought it was funny. He said that this guy "just proves his own ignorance. Even stock it's faster than 99% of the cars on the road."

Old 03-27-2004, 09:56 PM
PUREC4
Racer

Default Re: Apparently C4's aren't fast (tobijohn)

Being fast is fun, but I remember it seems only yesterday I use to think why is it the OLD FARTS have the great cars? Now I am one and I just grin and drive. :steering: And suprise the ricers who think they're racers. Turbo's are cool but v/8 TORQUE is the beast master. Spring is here and feeding time is near. Guess that's why they use rice and horse meat for food. :lolg: :lolg:
Good Hunting all.......... :flag :seeya

Quick Reply: Apparently C4's aren't fast