C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

REPLACE ANTENNA MAST?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 07:54 PM
AWSUM94
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REPLACE ANTENNA MAST?

Does anyone have information on replacing JUST the antenna mast? The motor works fine it just won't go down all the way.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:04 PM
red-y
Drifting

Default Re: REPLACE ANTENNA MAST? (AWSUM94)

You can find this information on the search forum. Good luck :thumbs:
Old 03-22-2004, 08:14 PM
GemVETTE
Intermediate

I replaced my mast last month. Not a big deal but I had to work blind part of the time and felt around with my hands. You will need to remove the motor but leave the electric connected, take off the cover over the plastic gear and remove the leftover gear pieces, replace the gear cover plate, insert the new plastic gear in the top of the housing with the radio on, get someone to turn off the radio when you are ready and guide the gears in the housing as it retracts ( I put a little lube on the plastic gear to help) and after it has retracted and the mast is in the top ot the housing, put the mast back up in the hole and bolt in the motor and ground strap. Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:08 PM
LaTechEE
Advanced

Default Re: REPLACE ANTENNA MAST? (GemVETTE)

I replaced mine just the same as GemVETTE, but on my moter it was glued shut. I don't know if this is true for all 94's, but i had to drill out the four little grommets in each corner of the motor case and replace it with screws(or bolts with nuts I can't remember now) because the motor would torque the case open and keep it from retracting all the way after I opened it up. Other than that it's not that hard except for remounting it without the luxery of being able to see what you're doing. You need to wear some glasses or something so that dirt and other stuff doesn't fall into your eyes.

[Modified by LaTechEE, 8:09 PM 3/22/2004]
Old 04-05-2004, 02:49 AM
idcard
Advanced

If you order the replacement mast from some place like Eckler's. The step by step instructions come with the kit, and it isn't that hard to do. Drill out the 4 rivits, remove about 7 clips and pry it open as it will have a RTV sealant around the entire cover. The nylon cord that extends the mast has a hook that fits in a slot in the gear assembly. Remember to seal the cover.

Good Luck
Old 04-05-2004, 07:48 PM
jiml94
Burning Brakes

If you have a 94 LT1, get a mast replacement kit from GM $30 and follow directions to replace. If your antenna is not broken, you do not have to remove the motor. Remove the black grommet in the mast at the fender top. It screws out by rotating it with two screwdrivers or a spanner. Then turn on the radio, and it will fly out. Watch the direction of the teeth on the ribbon as it comes out, either faces fore or aft. Then measure the length of the old ribbon against the new one. If it is short, you have a broken piece in the motor and you will have to disassemble it to get it out. If not, just stick the new mast ribbon down the mast tube , orienting the teeth in the same direction. When it hits bottom, check to see if it grabs a little to engage the tooth wheel. Then with one person holding the mast, another person then turns off the radio . The other person guides the mast and ribbon as it goes down. It moves fast so be ready. watch for the brass fairing on the new mast and be sure it feeds down aslo. It can become stuck on the mast tube lip when it goes in. This all takes about ten minutes to do. If you find that it didn't work the first time, keep trying, it sometime takes two or three tries to get it to connect right.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:26 AM
AWSUM94
Advanced

Thanks guys as soon as I get the masy in she goes! I'll let you know the results ... seems simple :chevy
Old 04-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Andys89
Advanced

Check how long the plastic strip is, because what is broken would be left in the motor you could jam up the new one, that was the case on my 89' I took it all apart found half of the strip inside. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To REPLACE ANTENNA MAST?

Quick Reply: REPLACE ANTENNA MAST?