What is wrong with the Bose systems.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Drewdog
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (6t9l4t6)

In 2 years I never had anything go wrong with my Bose Gold system in my 95.. Guess I am in the minority
Old 03-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Tool
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My CD component just quit! Swallows and ejects, but that's it. :cry

Who is the Bose Doctor? or do I want to :smash: this thing and make the jump... :confused:
Old 03-18-2004, 12:38 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando
Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (Tool)

Swallows and ejects, but that's it. :cry
Not sure why, but i find that statement so funny, maybe cause i know some girls like that :jester
Old 03-18-2004, 12:45 PM
35th
Drifting

Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (IBEAM700)

It's a POS :mad It's the only design flaw :chevy made on the C4.

[Modified by 35th, 11:47 AM 3/18/2004]
Old 03-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow I'm amazed at the responses. To answer your general question, there are a few problems that have been noted with the Delco/Bose Gold Series system. The CD mechanism does have a tendency to fail, I don't have the exact failure rate to make a determination of the quality of the product over its run rate. However, they are mechanical components and like any mechanical component it will wear out and fail. The good thing is that there are several shops that will repair and replace, and rejuvenate the entire front end system for about $150. For that price it generally includes cleaning and servicing the cassette, replacing the CD drive, and tuning the head component. Plus a general cleaning.

Over time, the capacitors on the amps can deteriorate but that is a relatively inexpensive repair to replace those capacitors. They filter out unwanted noise on the electrical circuits.

Other than that, there is plenty of volume and frequency range to match the majority of the humans ear's ranges.

Like a few have pointed out, these comparisions are likening today's technologies with that 10 or more years old. However, the AM/FM still receives the same signals as today's units (I can dial in the exact same stations). The CDs play CDs. The cassette plays cassettes. It has sensor control to match the volume automatically to the engine noise. It has fore and aft fade controls, no need for balance in such close quarters.

I was thinking about this post and the responses last night while washing the Vette. Here's a couple talking points, a) while it is unfair to make comparisions in technology to further a statement that the product Chevy used in the Vette is trash - I disagree with that considering the technology of that day where this system was the latest state of the art so do we then say that the original TI calculator was trash because the engineers had not figured out how to execute and store computational equations in silicone completely when it was marketed? Does todays same calculators arrive at a different answer executing the same function in either product? This trashing of the product is rather unfair simply based on saying today's products are better. This is like trashing the entire vehicle simply because tools used to create the product became better over time, and engineers learned more about materials and design to make the current production model better. The C4 is still top of the line technology. Finally, b) I wonder how the engineers who worked on this product feel about people who now own these vehicles trashing their work? When it was brand new, it was the apple in every eye, just because we have learned from it and can build better doesn't mean these guys & gals efforts were bad. They produced the best technology and cutting edge designs available to them for that time period.

If you want to have your Vette stay as close to stock as possible, I highly recommend the original system, but if you want to modify things then I'm sure you can find an aftermarket system that meets your needs and perhaps will fit within the current system mountings. It won't match perfectly but you may sacrifice that perfect fit for other reasons. Of course a couple years down the road, that product will be trashed and a newer design will be better. LOL of course the same Delco/Bose system will still be playing your favorite tunes.

Hope all these feed back helps... :chevy
Old 03-18-2004, 01:22 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando
Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (93JetJocky)

But it was a bad design back then, and even today. I purchased two small Sony amps back in 92 to drive the 4 inch speakers in the front of my truck. They are still there and working as well if not better than day one.

The technology existed even back in 92 to build a superior system, but Bose decided to be different and try something new, unfortunately it didn’t work.
Like I said before, the Bose speakers are great I even use Bose speakers in my house, but their electronics just aren’t up to par with the rest of the market.

:cheers:
Old 03-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (IBEAM700)

But it was a bad design back then, and even today. I purchased two small Sony amps back in 92 to drive the 4 inch speakers in the front of my truck. They are still there and working as well if not better than day one.

The technology existed even back in 92 to build a superior system, but Bose decided to be different and try something new, unfortunately it didnÂ’t work.
Like I said before, the Bose speakers are great I even use Bose speakers in my house, but their electronics just arenÂ’t up to par with the rest of the market.

:cheers:
:iagree:

Bose has always cheaped out on the equipment. Box design is what saves their azz. Alpine systems from the early 90's blow the bose crap out of the water. When everything was advancing in the stereo age, think mid 90's, where was bose. Still stuck in the same crap. Nothing changed, hell the unit can barely/won't read CDR's.

It's a POS plain in simple. i still stand by my Kraco comment earlier.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:39 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (blk90rdstr)

Bose doesnt sound bad at all really, especially in a coupe. The big problems are A. its a very unreliable system B. There are way better components available so why not have quality stuff?
If you drove around in my car for a week and then went back to the bose you would notice how bad it sounds. You could go buy low end after market equipment and it would still sound way better than the bose.

Plus i need extra volume for when the top is off. If i can hear the wind my stereo isn't loud enough yet. I guess my system isnt loud enough. Well back to the drawing board.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:42 PM
1989redvette
Burning Brakes

maybe in 1986 bose was something ...i doubt it but maybe... i think the major problem is with the "bose idea" ..when i can take out my bose and replace every component of the stereo in my car which included two frt speakers and two door speakers all infinity cappa and then a pioneer am/fm headunit,plus two rockkford 8" subs and a 600watt amp with all new wiring for the cost of fixing my bose system... there is something wrong... i sold all my bose stuff on ebay and just about paid for my new system... i guess what i'm trying to say is at one time it may have been ok.. but today its pure crap,junk ect.. compared to what is available today..so why pay outragous prices to fix something that isn't that great :confused: i mean you don't run a dual point distributor in your car do ya??? they too were once a great innovation.... :cheers:
Old 03-18-2004, 02:52 PM
dzierke
Instructor

Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (n1kki6)

The $10 that I spent replaceing diodes when a rear amp on my 86 went bad.

Other then cleaning the tape deck, the system has worked fine. I just plug my Sony walkman in the cassette adaptor and I've got tunes!

I've been thinking about getting a new system that can play MP-3's and found a nice Pioneer deck that's a perfect fit. It also has XM built in.

If you want to know why I haven't dumped my Bose yet, "It works fine"

That Bose system that many of you are so quick to dismiss has served me well for 8 years, The car was 10 years old when I picked it up. I would love to see anything aftermarket go half the distance...

:nono:
Old 03-18-2004, 03:01 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (dzierke)

just cause a system works doesnt mean it dont suck. But i guess it all depends on you listening style, if your not one to crank the "f" out of it it is probably alright. But honestly you dont really notice how bad a system is if you havent heard better. Like the system i have right now, sounds sweet to all my friends, but to me its still not good enough. Car audio is my second hobby aside from my vette, and most want their vette to be perfect well i awnt the same for my system too.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:45 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

just cause a system works doesnt mean it dont suck. .
We all have different audo standards. If they aren't very high and Mr. Bose hasn't quit working on us, the the Bose is a fine system.

It's good enough for me, but my standards are low. But at least I admit it.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:01 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (xs650)

We all have different audo standards. If they aren't very high and Mr. Bose hasn't quit working on us, the the Bose is a fine system.

:iagree: thats what i was thinking i just couldnt figure out how i wanted to word it.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Tool
Advanced

:iagree: thats what i was thinking i just couldnt figure out how i wanted to word it.
Actually, if you keep cranking the stereo you'll end up like me - at a point where the fidelity of the Bose is fine. I'm half-deaf from rock-n-roll, shooting sports and riding motos without ear protection! Or it COULD be just because.... I'm OLD! :hat

So I guess I don't need any new amps/speakers/crossovers/monster cables. But since "Old Mr Bose" DID quit working on me, :nonod: I just need one of you fine folks to point me toward someone who can make my Bose play some CD's!

:lurk:
Old 03-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (Tool)

Davies Corvette (advertised in Corvette Magazine too) This is an email message from Davies:
"The tune up special for your CD head unit takes approximately 3-4 days, once we receive the unit. The CD mechanism is exchanged out, cassette is cleaned and rested, and any burned out bulbs are replaced. We offer a one year warranty. Please call if you need advise on how to remove unit, and shipping instructions. Thanks. Bob
1-800-236-2383"

Hope that helps. :seeya
Old 03-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Pappa_Bear
Intermediate

Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (93JetJocky)

Personally I like the Bose system, and Bose design. I have Bose 601 speakers I bought in the military in Germany back in 1989 and they still sound just as incredible today as they did then. Now obviously you can't compare the technology of my 15 year old sound system to todays technology. Only a fool would try to. But for well-purpose-general-public system, I'm glad GM had the forethought to contract Bose to produce a custom platform system designed purely for your Vette. Besides, in 1990 the system in my car cost a whopping $396. Someone has to justify it. :cheers:
Old 03-18-2004, 09:52 PM
coopsl98
Intermediate

Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (Pappa_Bear)

I have a 1990 with the bose system and I think it sounds great. The cd player plays CDR's without a problem and the bose setup has quite a bit of bass for a factory system. One thing I notice is that the louder you play it the better it sounds(not like alot of the other factory stuff that distorts when played loudly)
Granted I know you can put together a better system with aftermarket components(have done several myself) but for a factory system you have to admit it is very nice.

Get notified of new replies

To What is wrong with the Bose systems.

Old 03-18-2004, 11:17 PM
bjesplin
Cruising

I prefer to leave the radio off, put the top down, and listen to the exhaust notes.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:24 PM
wildman738
Instructor

Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (bjesplin)

i like the system in my 95 just wish it played cd-rw's :(
Old 03-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: What is wrong with the Bose systems. (wildman738)

i like the system in my 95 just wish it played cd-rw's :(
I'm sure you probably ensured that you are encoding the CDR correctly with the correct file formats and using files that are not DRM encrypted. If you are ripping MP3s to AIFF you shouldn't have any issues playing a audio CD you burned vs. a production audio CD.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with the Bose systems.